NSLU2-Linux community rules (a reminder for all)

  • Rod Whitby
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
      Nick B wrote:
      > Well, I've read the nslu2-linux pages a lot. I couldn't remember off hand
      > having seen this issue raised. I did a search of all the messages saved in
      > my gmail account.
      >
      > I've just taken a look at the yahoo web page and can't see a FAQ link.
      >
      > So, maybe a point to all "the rules" I've broken please, if you going to
      > quote them, you might want to let me know where they are for the future.

      There is no need to be offended. The nslu2-linux rules are there so
      that questions which are already answered by the FAQ don't waste the
      time of the other 7500+ subscribers on these nslu2 lists. Reading the
      FAQ associated with a project before posting to a mailing list is
      standard practice.

      If you look at http://www.nslu2-linux.org, you will see the community
      rules listed clearly near the top centre of the page (after the quote
      from Linksys). I'll repeat them here:

      1/ Never *ever* use the Linksys EraseAll tool - it will brick your slug
      permanently.

      2/ You will search the wiki first here and read the FAQ before asking
      questions.

      3/ You must read and follow the steps in the README file precisely when
      flashing firmware.

      4/ Those who ask the questions, update the wiki when they get the answers.

      5/ Those who complain about the documentation, update the wiki to make
      it better.

      6/ Friends don't let friends flash custom firmware without confirmed
      RedBoot Upgrade Mode access.

      7/ Friends don't let friends flash custom bootloaders without confirmed
      JTAG access.

      A link to the FAQ is clearly listed at the top of the left sidebar.

      The description for the nslu2-general Yahoo group previously said:

      "All HowTo and Gettings Started information can be found in the NSLU2
      wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/"

      I have updated it (as per your suggestion) to say:

      "All FAQ, HowTo and Gettings Started information can be found in the
      NSLU2 wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/"

      -- Rod Whitby
      -- NSLU2-Linux Project Lead