Re: [nslu2-general] Power Outage and no restart

  • Nick B
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
      Well, I've read the nslu2-linux pages a lot. I couldn't remember off hand
      having seen this issue raised. I did a search of all the messages saved in
      my gmail account.

      I've just taken a look at the yahoo web page and can't see a FAQ link.

      So, maybe a point to all "the rules" I've broken please, if you going to
      quote them, you might want to let me know where they are for the future.

      On 1/1/07, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:

      > Nick B wrote:
      > > Hi, I had a power cut the other night and when I woke my NSLU2 wasn't
      > > on. So, it doesn't auto restart, which could be a pain when I'm away
      > > on holiday and want to access my files.
      > >
      > > Has anyone resolved this, or is it just a 'feature' of the box which
      > > can't be altered?
      >
      > Please read the FAQ before posting. Also please re-read the rules on
      > the front page of the web site - you've broken rule #2 with this post.
      >
      > The first answer in the hardware section is what you are looking for.
      >
      > -- Rod

    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
        Nick B wrote:
        > Well, I've read the nslu2-linux pages a lot. I couldn't remember off hand
        > having seen this issue raised. I did a search of all the messages saved in
        > my gmail account.
        >
        > I've just taken a look at the yahoo web page and can't see a FAQ link.
        >
        > So, maybe a point to all "the rules" I've broken please, if you going to
        > quote them, you might want to let me know where they are for the future.

        There is no need to be offended. The nslu2-linux rules are there so
        that questions which are already answered by the FAQ don't waste the
        time of the other 7500+ subscribers on these nslu2 lists. Reading the
        FAQ associated with a project before posting to a mailing list is
        standard practice.

        If you look at http://www.nslu2-linux.org, you will see the community
        rules listed clearly near the top centre of the page (after the quote
        from Linksys). I'll repeat them here:

        1/ Never *ever* use the Linksys EraseAll tool - it will brick your slug
        permanently.

        2/ You will search the wiki first here and read the FAQ before asking
        questions.

        3/ You must read and follow the steps in the README file precisely when
        flashing firmware.

        4/ Those who ask the questions, update the wiki when they get the answers.

        5/ Those who complain about the documentation, update the wiki to make
        it better.

        6/ Friends don't let friends flash custom firmware without confirmed
        RedBoot Upgrade Mode access.

        7/ Friends don't let friends flash custom bootloaders without confirmed
        JTAG access.

        A link to the FAQ is clearly listed at the top of the left sidebar.

        The description for the nslu2-general Yahoo group previously said:

        "All HowTo and Gettings Started information can be found in the NSLU2
        wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/"

        I have updated it (as per your suggestion) to say:

        "All FAQ, HowTo and Gettings Started information can be found in the
        NSLU2 wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/"

        -- Rod Whitby
        -- NSLU2-Linux Project Lead