Re: [nslu2-general] Power Outage and no restart

  • Rod Whitby
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
      Nick B wrote:
      > Hi, I had a power cut the other night and when I woke my NSLU2 wasn't
      > on. So, it doesn't auto restart, which could be a pain when I'm away
      > on holiday and want to access my files.
      >
      > Has anyone resolved this, or is it just a 'feature' of the box which
      > can't be altered?

      Please read the FAQ before posting. Also please re-read the rules on
      the front page of the web site - you've broken rule #2 with this post.

      The first answer in the hardware section is what you are looking for.

      -- Rod
    • Nick B
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
        Well, I've read the nslu2-linux pages a lot. I couldn't remember off hand
        having seen this issue raised. I did a search of all the messages saved in
        my gmail account.

        I've just taken a look at the yahoo web page and can't see a FAQ link.

        So, maybe a point to all "the rules" I've broken please, if you going to
        quote them, you might want to let me know where they are for the future.

        On 1/1/07, Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:

        > Nick B wrote:
        > > Hi, I had a power cut the other night and when I woke my NSLU2 wasn't
        > > on. So, it doesn't auto restart, which could be a pain when I'm away
        > > on holiday and want to access my files.
        > >
        > > Has anyone resolved this, or is it just a 'feature' of the box which
        > > can't be altered?
        >
        > Please read the FAQ before posting. Also please re-read the rules on
        > the front page of the web site - you've broken rule #2 with this post.
        >
        > The first answer in the hardware section is what you are looking for.
        >
        > -- Rod

      • Rod Whitby
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
          Nick B wrote:
          > Well, I've read the nslu2-linux pages a lot. I couldn't remember off hand
          > having seen this issue raised. I did a search of all the messages saved in
          > my gmail account.
          >
          > I've just taken a look at the yahoo web page and can't see a FAQ link.
          >
          > So, maybe a point to all "the rules" I've broken please, if you going to
          > quote them, you might want to let me know where they are for the future.

          There is no need to be offended. The nslu2-linux rules are there so
          that questions which are already answered by the FAQ don't waste the
          time of the other 7500+ subscribers on these nslu2 lists. Reading the
          FAQ associated with a project before posting to a mailing list is
          standard practice.

          If you look at http://www.nslu2-linux.org, you will see the community
          rules listed clearly near the top centre of the page (after the quote
          from Linksys). I'll repeat them here:

          1/ Never *ever* use the Linksys EraseAll tool - it will brick your slug
          permanently.

          2/ You will search the wiki first here and read the FAQ before asking
          questions.

          3/ You must read and follow the steps in the README file precisely when
          flashing firmware.

          4/ Those who ask the questions, update the wiki when they get the answers.

          5/ Those who complain about the documentation, update the wiki to make
          it better.

          6/ Friends don't let friends flash custom firmware without confirmed
          RedBoot Upgrade Mode access.

          7/ Friends don't let friends flash custom bootloaders without confirmed
          JTAG access.

          A link to the FAQ is clearly listed at the top of the left sidebar.

          The description for the nslu2-general Yahoo group previously said:

          "All HowTo and Gettings Started information can be found in the NSLU2
          wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/"

          I have updated it (as per your suggestion) to say:

          "All FAQ, HowTo and Gettings Started information can be found in the
          NSLU2 wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/"

          -- Rod Whitby
          -- NSLU2-Linux Project Lead