Re: [nslu2-general] Problem with HDD and Backup feature

  • nslu2@pion.xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 25, 2006
      On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 04:49:46AM -0800, winfler01 wrote:

      > Problem:
      > 1) The NTFS HDD can be read and write without any problems but the EXT3
      > formatted HDD is not accessible via FTP.

      Ext3 support permissions on file level. There is no support for
      permissions in ntfs. On ntfs all the files are writeable for everyone.

      Maybe the directory "/public" is writable through ftp but i am not
      sure how you have setup your accounts.

      > 2) When I try to save for instance a new password I get the error message,
      > that file could not be opened

      The password file is protected and only the "root" user (admin account
      under linx) is able to write the file. You shouldn't edit this file
      manualy unless you know what you are doing.

      > 3) Trying to enable the Backup feature cause the error message "Warning: No
      > enough HDD ready. Drive Backup function cannot be enabled"

      The build in backup feature is broken for unslung. But i doubt that it
      will work to a ntfs drive.

      For more info:
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheDriveBackupForUnslungFirmware

      > Well, I guess there is a problem with the EXT3 HDD in general. But I'am not
      > able to determine where and why there is a problem, the same HDD with NTFS
      > is working on the Port 1, so I'm sure, that there is no mechanical problem.

      I can't find a problem with the disk. Probably there are locations
      on the disk you are able to write to. Otherwise you have to change
      the permisions on certain locations.

      On the otherhand i wouldn't use ntfs. The ntfs support on the nslu2
      is broken. You can't save permissions our ownership and under heavy
      io the slug will hang.

      --
      marceln