Problem with HDD and Backup feature

  • winfler01
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 24, 2006
      Hello,

      I recently bought the NSLU2 but have several problems. I already installed
      the newest firmware (V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta) to ensure, that this is not
      the reason for my problems.

      Configuration:
      1 x Trekstor DataStation maxi t.u external HDD 400 GB USB 2.0 (SAMSUNG
      HD400LD) --> on Port 1 as NTFS formatted
      1x Trekstor DataStation maxi t.u external HDD 400 GB USB 2.0 (SAMSUNG
      HD400LD)--> on Port 2 as EXT3 formatted (from the Nslu2 itself)

      Problem:
      1) The NTFS HDD can be read and write without any problems but the EXT3
      formatted HDD is not accessible via FTP.
      2) When I try to save for instance a new password I get the error message,
      that file could not be opened
      3) Trying to enable the Backup feature cause the error message "Warning: No
      enough HDD ready. Drive Backup function cannot be enabled"

      Well, I guess there is a problem with the EXT3 HDD in general. But I'am not
      able to determine where and why there is a problem, the same HDD with NTFS
      is working on the Port 1, so I'm sure, that there is no mechanical problem.

      Maybe one of you can help me?

      Merry Christmas :-)

      greetings from Austria - Peter

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 25, 2006
        On Sun, Dec 24, 2006 at 04:49:46AM -0800, winfler01 wrote:

        > Problem:
        > 1) The NTFS HDD can be read and write without any problems but the EXT3
        > formatted HDD is not accessible via FTP.

        Ext3 support permissions on file level. There is no support for
        permissions in ntfs. On ntfs all the files are writeable for everyone.

        Maybe the directory "/public" is writable through ftp but i am not
        sure how you have setup your accounts.

        > 2) When I try to save for instance a new password I get the error message,
        > that file could not be opened

        The password file is protected and only the "root" user (admin account
        under linx) is able to write the file. You shouldn't edit this file
        manualy unless you know what you are doing.

        > 3) Trying to enable the Backup feature cause the error message "Warning: No
        > enough HDD ready. Drive Backup function cannot be enabled"

        The build in backup feature is broken for unslung. But i doubt that it
        will work to a ntfs drive.

        For more info:
        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheDriveBackupForUnslungFirmware

        > Well, I guess there is a problem with the EXT3 HDD in general. But I'am not
        > able to determine where and why there is a problem, the same HDD with NTFS
        > is working on the Port 1, so I'm sure, that there is no mechanical problem.

        I can't find a problem with the disk. Probably there are locations
        on the disk you are able to write to. Otherwise you have to change
        the permisions on certain locations.

        On the otherhand i wouldn't use ntfs. The ntfs support on the nslu2
        is broken. You can't save permissions our ownership and under heavy
        io the slug will hang.

        --
        marceln