Re: Best drive set up for newb

  • lance_benson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 24, 2006
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "indypup06" <humpda@...> wrote:

      > ... flash disk set as root drive will have a shorter life span.
      > Are we talking a few months or are people still
      > going strong with these after a year? Cheers

      I haven't seen this issue much addressed other than theoretically. I
      have a 512MB flash drive which has been running 24/7 since May of 2005
      (except for 2 two-month hiatuses while I was gone)--Unslung 5.5 running
      twonkyvision and acting as backup for my PCs (so occasional use only),
      with no provision for keeping the swap file off of the flash (risky,
      they say, so I may be running in test-to-destruction mode). I think
      flash drives of that size may now be had for about 1/4th what I paid
      for that one. My data is (are) on a hard drive (multiple hard drives),
      so I'm not too worried about failure.