Re: [nslu2-general] NSLU2 - how long will it last?

  • CORNELIU DOBAN
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 22, 2006
      I believe that the bigger interest that Linksys has for its WRT54G (to reduce it's cost / improve performance) is due to its high volume sale compared to NSLU2.
      The 7000 extra sales that nslu2-linux community added it's probably insignificant and cannot change it's fate as a low sale volume product.

      That's just my opinion, but if you followed the story of the redesigned Kuro Box you realize that even companies that embraced the idea of providing a development platform for their "hacker" community, finally put the redesign project of their development platform to the afterburner in favor of the commercial NAS platform.

      Cheers
      Corneliu

      Rod Whitby <rod@...> wrote:
      indypup06 wrote:
      > Eagerly awaiting cracking open the box I am getting for xmas and
      > installing unslung. Being new to this device, I did not realise that
      > it had been out for over 2 years old - a very long time in the world of
      > IT.

      Indeed - we are all surprised at how long this product has continued to
      be sold in it's 1.0 version. Not even a product refresh (compare this
      with the many versions of the WRT54G). We believe we are a contributor
      to this success.

      > I guess as I am coming in on what could possibly be
      > the "twilight" of the device, which is both a benefit and negative. I
      > did notice in the Linksys forums that a poster had accessed a beta
      > firmware with a realease number higher than that listed on the linksys
      > site that permitted drives in excess of 250gig to be used.

      Many people are using Unslung firmware with drives much larger than that.

      > I guess my main question is "have I left my run with this intruiging device too
      > late?? Thanks for your responses.

      With the NSLU2 being fully supported in the mainline Linux kernel
      (thanks to our project), and a fully supported target for Debian Etch,
      and soon to be supported by OpenWRT, I think the exciting times are just
      beginning for the Slug ...

      -- Rod