Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Debian/NSLU2

  • Rob Lockhart
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2006
      On 12/21/06, lance_benson <lance_benson@...> wrote:
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Rod Whitby" wrote:
      >
      > ># cat /dev/mtdblock* > backup-image.bin
      > ># upslug2 -i image.bin
      >
      > >That will save the flash contents of your current Debian slug,
      > >and then install it on the new one.
      >
      > Is there a similar simple way to back up a 512MB flash drive with
      > Unslung 5.5 and copy it onto a new flash drive?

      This can be difficult to perform, due to each manufacturer's flash
      size different than the other. If the Cylinders, Heads, sectors are
      identical, then it can be done with dd, but otherwise, it probably
      won't work unless you use something like ghost (unsure if there's a
      free, linux version of it) that recognizes the file system (i.e.,
      /proc and /dev). To elaborate, each flash manufacturer has different
      algorithms for "spare" sectors and error recovery techniques in case
      bad sectors need to be re-mapped. This is why a 512MB flash isn't
      truly mounted with 2^29 bytes (536,870,912), but something like
      512,000,000 or just over that amount.

      The problem you'll have here is that only one USB plug on the NSLU2 is
      powered. If you can solder a ferrite bead (or fuse) of appropriate
      size onto the NSLU2, then you can have both ports powered, but it may
      not have enough power for two 500mA devices. USB flash (thumbdrive)
      devices are usually fine with 100mA though.

      If you have an external USB HD mounted with sufficient hard drive
      space left, and both USB flash drives have identical space (via
      FDISK), it should be possible to do this:
      (assuming /tmpspace is mounted on the USB HD)
      dd if=/dev/sdb of=/tmpspace/512MBflash
      (remove /dev/sdb assuming it's not mounted)
      (insert 2nd USB flash drive)
      dd if=/tmpspace/512MBflash of=/dev/sdb

      I'm sure this is in a wiki somewhere, if not, please let us know! :-)