Announcing the fourth nslu2-linux hardware donation drive

  • Rod Whitby
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2006
      The NSLU2-Linux project is in need of more funds for new infrastructure
      hardware purchases. If you have not donated before, or if you would
      like to donate again, we'd like you to consider doing so (being careful
      to use the correct button, depending on whether you're using a credit
      card or not) at:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/Donate

      This is our fourth donation drive in almost 2.5 years since project
      inception back in July 2004. In previous drives we were able to raise
      USD$700, USD$1300 and USD$1900. We're hoping to match the second figure
      this time around.

      The NSLU2-Linux developers receive no payment for their work. All
      donations go towards project infrastructure hardware purchases, or
      project expenses (like domain fees), or for purchases of NSLU2's for
      core developers (e.g. the Debian installer work was the direct result of
      such a purchase for a key Debian developer). So we only ask for
      donations when we really need to make some major purchases (the
      incidentals usually get covered by the trickle of donations that come in
      between our major donation drives).

      Here's why we need the money:

      The project has recently been donated a Dual Xeon 2.66GHz box, for use
      as our new auto-builder (to replace the old Athlon shuttle box we've
      been using for the past 2.5 years), and we want to set up a test network
      (managed by the replaced auto-builder machine) where we can give core
      developers access to target devices with serial console and individual
      control of the power to the devices (so you can power cycle them when
      your new kernel mod hangs).

      We are going to put this new box (called "Cheli" after Chelidonura, a
      type of sea slug) at OSUOSL, alongside our main www.nslu2-linux.org
      server, and more importantly, alongside our main package feeds mirror
      machine (so that package uploads from the autobuilder go across the LAN
      there instead of going across the internet). It will also run a Xen
      image as a live backup of www.nslu2-linux.org in case our main server
      ever has a hardware failure (the plan is to be able to get our project
      infrastructure back on line within minutes).

      In total, we're looking for just over a thousand dollars in hardware
      purchases:

      Power Supply $100
      2GB RAM $250
      Hard Disks $250
      Serial Card $ 20
      Serial Relay Box $ 80
      Managed Switch $300
      Cables, Fans, Misc $100

      We're also going to need some money to cover incidental expenses at
      SCALE (http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale5x/) where NSLU2-Linux will be
      running a booth - more info to come on that in a separate message ...

      If you're able to help out, we'd appreciate it. This is the best way
      that you can show your appreciation for the developers who provide the
      custom firmware and packages that you run on your NSLU2, NAS100d,
      DSMG600, DS101, WL500GX, FSG-3, ...

      -- Rod Whitby
      -- NSLU2-Linux Project Lead
    • hattori.hanzo@mac.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2006
        Hello,

        I have installed denyhost (#ipkg install denyhost) and included a
        custom regex to detect proftpd failed logins.

        During testing, the bad ip is added to /opt/etc/hosts.deny (ALL:
        1.2.3.4) and it all looks good BUT afterwards I can still connect to
        the server from the bad ip. It appears denyhost is not blocking the
        bad ip.

        I also installed tcpwrappers (#ipkg install tcpwrappers) as well.

        Is their a trick to get this working in the nslu2.

        Thanks for any help.
      • Rod Whitby
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 20, 2006
          hattori.hanzo@... wrote:
          > I have installed denyhost (#ipkg install denyhost) and included a
          > custom regex to detect proftpd failed logins.
          >
          > During testing, the bad ip is added to /opt/etc/hosts.deny (ALL:
          > 1.2.3.4) and it all looks good BUT afterwards I can still connect to
          > the server from the bad ip. It appears denyhost is not blocking the
          > bad ip.
          >
          > I also installed tcpwrappers (#ipkg install tcpwrappers) as well.
          >
          > Is their a trick to get this working in the nslu2.

          For denyhosts to work, the application must have been compiled with
          tcpwrappers support (it is not enough just to install tcpwrappers). So
          the proftpd package will need to be modified to include tcpwrappers support.

          -- Rod
        • hattori.hanzo@mac.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 20, 2006