Upgrading BusyBox

  • jasonwagstaffe
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2006
      Hi,

      I'm a newbie (both to Linux and the nslu2) so please bear with me.

      I have sucessfully Unslung my nslu2 to 6.8, and installed OpenSSH using
      ipkg. So far, so good.
      My aim is to run a couple of web sites using virtual hosting with
      THTTPD amd have been following the excellent information on the wiki
      regarding this.

      Now where I'm coming unstuck is upgrading the BusyBox 0.6 which came on
      the virgin nslu2 to version 1.1.3-3. (so I can have access to the chgrp
      command).

      I have again downloaded v1.1.3-3 using the ipkg command "ipkg install
      busybox" and I can see it's on the box in the "/opt/bin/busybox"
      folder, however after looking @ http://www.nslu2-
      linux.org/wiki/Optware/BusyBox?from=Unslung.BusyBox and
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/UpgradeBusyBoxUsingIpkg on the
      wiki,
      I'm still not sure how I get the box to boot using the correct version
      of busybox. I can telnet in to the box with no problems but I'm a bit
      hesitant as it appears that I may have to edit a file connected with a
      password ? And it appears that this can be a recipe for disaster if I
      have read other posts correctly on the group.

      A step by step guide by some nice experinced user would be very
      helpful, and I suspect make a nice addition to the wiki FAQ.

      Regards Glitch
    • Marcel Nijenhof
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2006
        On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 19:28 +0000, jasonwagstaffe wrote:

        > Now where I'm coming unstuck is upgrading the BusyBox 0.6 which came
        > on the virgin nslu2 to version 1.1.3-3. (so I can have access to the
        > chgrp command).

        You can't!

        The installed busybox 0.6 is essential for unslung.

        You can install a second busybox 1.1.x under "/opt" and use that
        as replacement for extra software.

        > I'm still not sure how I get the box to boot using the correct version
        > of busybox.

        It's using the 0.6 version which is correct.

        > I can telnet in to the box with no problems but I'm a bit
        > hesitant as it appears that I may have to edit a file connected with a
        > password ?

        You can change the shell for the users to "/opt/bin/sh" (the last
        field in "/etc/passwd"). A new login to that user will use the
        new busybox.

        > And it appears that this can be a recipe for disaster if I
        > have read other posts correctly on the group.

        There are more ways to shoot your self in the foot then
        you have feet.

        --
        marceln
      • marciton
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2007
          hello,
          could someone could give me more info on this part :

          > You can change the shell for the users to "/opt/bin/sh" (the last
          > field in "/etc/passwd"). A new login to that user will use the
          > new busybox.

          I've install busybox on /opt/bin but I can't do nothing with it ...

          Thanks,

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Nijenhof <nslu2@...>