Re: A duplicate name exists on the network

  • graham_t_1661
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2006
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "toppergbr" <toppergbr@...> wrote:

      > First of all, thanks for all the helpful info this group contains it
      > has helped me set up my NSLU2, and get everything running except one
      > small problem.
      > The NSLU2 is unslung to ver 6.8, it is running twonky & vsftp.
      > I have a fixed IP address for the NSLU2 and it is the only NSLU2 on
      > the network, but whenever it is turned on i get the "A duplicate name
      > exists on the network" appear whenever I boot my XP machines.
      > It does not seem to have any effect, it has just become annoying.
      > Has anybody else had a similar problem?

      I have the same irritation. It happens to all the users on my home
      network. It only started after I changed smb.conf to a configuration
      shown on one of the NSLU websites, which fixed another problem. So
      many lines changed, it is difficult knowing which one caused the problem.
      I am not running twonky and vsftp.
      Could it be because the slug user and share name is the same as the PC
      user name for each share?
    • pepesz76
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2006
        Hello graham_t_1661,

        The problem is that for windows is case insensitive. And your samba
        domain and your slug they have the same name (I quess). So if you
        running nmbd (network domain controller) it will result in that error.

        So either disable nmbd in smb.conf or make sure the slug name is
        different then slug domain name.

        Hopefully that will help

        --
        Best regards,