A duplicate name exists on the network

  • toppergbr
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2006
      First of all, thanks for all the helpful info this group contains it
      has helped me set up my NSLU2, and get everything running except one
      small problem.
      The NSLU2 is unslung to ver 6.8, it is running twonky & vsftp.
      I have a fixed IP address for the NSLU2 and it is the only NSLU2 on
      the network, but whenever it is turned on i get the "A duplicate name
      exists on the network" appear whenever I boot my XP machines.
      It does not seem to have any effect, it has just become annoying.
      Has anybody else had a similar problem?
    • graham_t_1661
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2006
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "toppergbr" <toppergbr@...> wrote:

        > First of all, thanks for all the helpful info this group contains it
        > has helped me set up my NSLU2, and get everything running except one
        > small problem.
        > The NSLU2 is unslung to ver 6.8, it is running twonky & vsftp.
        > I have a fixed IP address for the NSLU2 and it is the only NSLU2 on
        > the network, but whenever it is turned on i get the "A duplicate name
        > exists on the network" appear whenever I boot my XP machines.
        > It does not seem to have any effect, it has just become annoying.
        > Has anybody else had a similar problem?

        I have the same irritation. It happens to all the users on my home
        network. It only started after I changed smb.conf to a configuration
        shown on one of the NSLU websites, which fixed another problem. So
        many lines changed, it is difficult knowing which one caused the problem.
        I am not running twonky and vsftp.
        Could it be because the slug user and share name is the same as the PC
        user name for each share?
      • pepesz76
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2006
          Hello graham_t_1661,

          The problem is that for windows is case insensitive. And your samba
          domain and your slug they have the same name (I quess). So if you
          running nmbd (network domain controller) it will result in that error.

          So either disable nmbd in smb.conf or make sure the slug name is
          different then slug domain name.

          Hopefully that will help

          --
          Best regards,