Re: [nslu2-general] Re: cannot swapon /dev/sda2

  • Mike (mwester)
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2006
      > root@oldslug:~# free
      > total used free shared
      > buffers
      > Mem: 30300 25576 4724 0
      > 4648
      > Swap: 200804 36 200768
      > Total: 231104 25612 205492
      >
      > It looks like above-but it never seems to swap over "36" so something
      > is wrong..

      On the contrary - something is quite right! The "Swap" line is telling you
      that it has 200MB of swap available for use, but it has only needed to use
      36MB of that space.

      Mike (mwester)
    • Mike (mwester)
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2006
        Type "free" and see if the amount of space available for swapping is about
        the same as the size of /dev/sda2. If so, SlugOS probably automagically
        enabled swapping on the swap partition on boot.
        Mike (mwester)

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2006
          > ... but it has only needed to use
          > 36MB of that space.

          Of course, that *should* read 36KB, not 36MB. Sorry!

          Mike (mwester)
        • Laurent Gilson
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2006
            Hello,

            Another test is swapon -s:

            -s Display swap usage summary by device. Equivalent to "cat
            /proc/swaps".

            or "cat /proc/mounts" (that is based on the kernel-data and not mtab. mtab
            may be wrong)

            cu
          • Phil Endecott
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2006
              > swapon: /dev/sda2: Device or resource busy

              Maybe you are already swapping on it. What does "swapon -s" say?

              Otherwise, the best way to diagnose "Device or resource busy" is the
              lsof program.

              Phil.
            • janne5011
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2006
                Oh your fast I deleted it becuse it got wrong wrapped=).
                Output from swapon -s:
                used 35 <----- it never goes over it
                size 200804
                partition 200804
                priority -1

                and then
                -sh: /dev/sda2: Permission denied

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)"
                <mwester@...> wrote:

                > > ... but it has only needed to use
                > > 36MB of that space.
                >
                > Of course, that *should* read 36KB, not 36MB. Sorry!
                >
                > Mike (mwester)

              • janne5011
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2006
                  here is what cat /proc/mounts says:

                  root@oldslug:~# cat /proc/mounts
                  rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
                  /dev/root /initrd jffs2 ro 0 0
                  /dev/sda1 / ext3 rw,noatime,data=ordered 0 0
                  proc /proc proc rw 0 0
                  sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
                  /dev/sda1 /dev/.static/dev ext3 rw,noatime,data=ordered 0 0
                  tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
                  /dev/sda3 /media/sda3 ext3 rw,sync,data=ordered 0 0
                  tmpfs /media/ram tmpfs rw 0 0
                  usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
                  devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
                  root@oldslug:~#