Strange (unexpected) disk activity with NSLU2 ?

  • Andy Belk and Emmanuelle Treil
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2006

      We have an NSLU2 with a rather ancient Unslung firmware version (V2.3R25-uNSLUng-
      standard-3.16-beta). I am contemplating updating it but it seems like a rather tortuous
      exercise for a problem that might not exist, and it's on loan from a coworker, so ...

      I have a 320GB seagate barracuda 7200.10 drive attached to the NSLU2. It's set up to share
      as DISK1. That all seemed to work fine. The odd thing is that periodically (not every hour, nor
      every day, just every so often) for several minutes at a time we can hear a lot of disk activity
      going on. This is despite no-one being connected to the network share. As far as I can tell I
      don't have disk scan enabled either. It doesn't sound like thermal re-calibration, but I
      suppose it could be (the slug and drive are in my in-wall junction box so it's somewhat warm
      in there).

      I'm slightly worried there's some foreign software installed that's turned it into a spam
      zombie, but I'm probably being paranoid and there's a simpler explanation.

      Thanks for any advice,

      Andy Belk
    • Andy Belk and Emmanuelle Treil
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2006
        Hi all,

        Sorry, looks like there was a simple explanation - the drive has died. I pulled it out and tried
        plugging it into my Mac and nothing appeared in the I/O tree not even as an option to be
        formatted. Time to send it back.

        Sorry for the noise.

        Andy