Su/Tinylogin

  • Dave Tansley
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2005

      Can anyone give me some tips on how to get su working under Unslung firmware?

      My aim is to stop logging in as root over SSH, only su-ing to root as
      and when I need to. I've upgraded to the latest busybox, and have
      TinyLogin available. First, there is no su available... and when I try
      to "login root" (in fact, login anyuser) it comes back with the error
      message:

      No utmp entry. You must exec "login" from the lowest level "sh"

      I get the feeling I'm missing something here. Has anyone got su
      working (or equivalent)?

      Cheers

      Dave
    • Siddy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2005
        Hi Dave!

        > Can anyone give me some tips on how to get su working under Unslung firmware?

        I had the same problem yesterday and solved it by getting the
        coreutils-sources from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/coreutils/ and
        compiling su with the native toolchain. It took quite a while, but it
        was worth the wait! ;-)

        Cheers,
        Siddy
      • Dave Tansley
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2005
          > I had the same problem yesterday and solved it by getting the
          > coreutils-sources from http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/coreutils/ and
          > compiling su with the native toolchain. It took quite a while, but it
          > was worth the wait! ;-)

          Ah ha! Nice one. That worked great. And now I've got gcc/make on there
          as well. The mind boggles at the capabilities of this machine...

          Dave