Re: [nslu2-general] attaching a 68-pin u2w scsi drive

  • unix fan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2005
      Amigo, you're fighting a battle not worth fighting.
      Sell your 50 pin 10K SCSI drive on Ebay and move on.

      You can find USB enclosures for $24-$40.

      Here's a 160Gb drive with 9ms seek time for $70:
      http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/products.asp?N=500458+200112+10+400396&Ne=400000

      If it's any consolation, think of this.
      Your 50 pin 10K SCSI drive
      1. is smaller
      2. will run hotter
      3. will run noisier
      4. is a mechanical device with a finite life. How much
      have you used up so far?
      5. There's a reason you don't already have it running
      in your computer.

      You're not the first or last guy that migrated off
      SCSI. Here's some perspective. The very first drive I
      ever bought was a 730MB SCSI drive. And I thought I
      scored a *great* deal because I paid "only" $343 for
      it.

      unix_fan

      --- justizin <justizin@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone tried this? I found an adaptec device
      > called 'USB2
      > XCHANGE' which will bridge a 50-pin external scsi
      > device to usb 2.0.
      > So, I should be able to adapt and fit it into some
      > sort of enclosure.
      >
      > The best I've come up with so far is that I could
      > purchase a 68pin to
      > 50pin adapter (about $50), a 50pin single-drive
      > enclosure (about $50),
      > and an adaptec USB2 XCHANGE for - you guessed it -
      > about $50.
      >
      > Anyone have ideas on how I might be able to lower
      > the cost here some?
      > I know, btw, that I'm not going to get full scsi
      > potential, but this
      > is a nice drive which is going to waste, and I
      > should still benefit
      > from fast seeks on the 10krpm disk.
      >
      > TIA!

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ian White
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
        Hi justizin,

        I have tried an Adaptec USB2 XCHANGE
        with a 2GB Iomega Jaz drive

        Whilst this combination works fine
        when directly connected to a Windows XP PC
        (needed to load some drivers though as not
        natively recognized as a mass-storage device)

        It is not recognized at all on the NSLU2

        I am obviously not certain whether this
        would also apply to your SCSI h/disk

        But I'm not sure that I would risk very much money
        upon this combination working.

        Just my 2pence/2cents worth

        Cheers
        Ian W.

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "justizin" <justizin@y...>
        wrote:

        > Has anyone tried this? I found an adaptec device called 'USB2
        > XCHANGE' which will bridge a 50-pin external scsi device to usb
        2.0.
        > So, I should be able to adapt and fit it into some sort of
        enclosure.

        > The best I've come up with so far is that I could purchase a 68pin
        > 50pin adapter (about $50), a 50pin single-drive enclosure (about
        $50),
        > and an adaptec USB2 XCHANGE for - you guessed it - about $50.
        >
        > Anyone have ideas on how I might be able to lower the cost here
        some?
        > I know, btw, that I'm not going to get full scsi potential, but
        this
        > is a nice drive which is going to waste, and I should still benefit
        > from fast seeks on the 10krpm disk.
        >
        > TIA!
      • Gary Gutman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2005
          Hi, I have a few 68 to 50 pin adapters that I'm willing to sell for
          less than $50.

          If you are still looking to prsue this task, there's one one that
          you can save.

          Regards,
          mrgary

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Ian White"