/unslung/rc.local problem

  • nkraus_at
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2005
      Hi,

      I just installed unslung 3.16 and everything worked fine.
      Then I tried to install my first package (mc - midnight commander)
      and also everything
      worked fine.

      But then I tried to set two environment variables with the diversion
      scripts /unslung/rc.local

      /unslung is a symbolic link
      to /share/hdd/conf/unslung; the file rc.local has permission 755
      and this is the content:

      #!/bin/sh
      export TERMINFO=/opt/share/terminfo
      export TERM=vt100
      return 1

      The file is never executed during startup (ther is an error when I
      startup mc and mc starts fine after setting the variables from
      command promt)

      My second question is about the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. There is a
      PATH variable in it which includes /opt/bin. But the mc is not found
      even it is in /opt/bin. So I always have to got to the directory to
      execute mc.

      Can anybody help?

      Thanks
      Norbert
    • Gerald L. Clark
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2005
        nkraus_at wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I just installed unslung 3.16 and everything worked fine.
        > Then I tried to install my first package (mc - midnight commander)
        > and also everything
        > worked fine.
        >
        > But then I tried to set two environment variables with the diversion
        > scripts /unslung/rc.local
        >
        > /unslung is a symbolic link
        > to /share/hdd/conf/unslung; the file rc.local has permission 755
        > and this is the content:
        >
        > #!/bin/sh
        > export TERMINFO=/opt/share/terminfo
        > export TERM=vt100
        > return 1
        >
        > The file is never executed during startup (ther is an error when I
        > startup mc and mc starts fine after setting the variables from
        > command promt)
        >
        > My second question is about the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. There is a
        > PATH variable in it which includes /opt/bin. But the mc is not found
        > even it is in /opt/bin. So I always have to got to the directory to
        > execute mc.
        >
        > Can anybody help?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Norbert
        Environment variable set int the rc scripts are only valid for the rc
        scripts.
        Set them in /etc/profile
        or your $HOME/.profile.