attaching a 68-pin u2w scsi drive

  • justizin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
      Has anyone tried this? I found an adaptec device called 'USB2
      XCHANGE' which will bridge a 50-pin external scsi device to usb 2.0.
      So, I should be able to adapt and fit it into some sort of enclosure.

      The best I've come up with so far is that I could purchase a 68pin to
      50pin adapter (about $50), a 50pin single-drive enclosure (about $50),
      and an adaptec USB2 XCHANGE for - you guessed it - about $50.

      Anyone have ideas on how I might be able to lower the cost here some?
      I know, btw, that I'm not going to get full scsi potential, but this
      is a nice drive which is going to waste, and I should still benefit
      from fast seeks on the 10krpm disk.

      TIA!
    • unix fan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2005
        Amigo, you're fighting a battle not worth fighting.
        Sell your 50 pin 10K SCSI drive on Ebay and move on.

        You can find USB enclosures for $24-$40.

        Here's a 160Gb drive with 9ms seek time for $70:
        http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/products.asp?N=500458+200112+10+400396&Ne=400000

        If it's any consolation, think of this.
        Your 50 pin 10K SCSI drive
        1. is smaller
        2. will run hotter
        3. will run noisier
        4. is a mechanical device with a finite life. How much
        have you used up so far?
        5. There's a reason you don't already have it running
        in your computer.

        You're not the first or last guy that migrated off
        SCSI. Here's some perspective. The very first drive I
        ever bought was a 730MB SCSI drive. And I thought I
        scored a *great* deal because I paid "only" $343 for
        it.

        unix_fan

        --- justizin <justizin@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone tried this? I found an adaptec device
        > called 'USB2
        > XCHANGE' which will bridge a 50-pin external scsi
        > device to usb 2.0.
        > So, I should be able to adapt and fit it into some
        > sort of enclosure.
        >
        > The best I've come up with so far is that I could
        > purchase a 68pin to
        > 50pin adapter (about $50), a 50pin single-drive
        > enclosure (about $50),
        > and an adaptec USB2 XCHANGE for - you guessed it -
        > about $50.
        >
        > Anyone have ideas on how I might be able to lower
        > the cost here some?
        > I know, btw, that I'm not going to get full scsi
        > potential, but this
        > is a nice drive which is going to waste, and I
        > should still benefit
        > from fast seeks on the 10krpm disk.
        >
        > TIA!

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Ian White
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
          Hi justizin,

          I have tried an Adaptec USB2 XCHANGE
          with a 2GB Iomega Jaz drive

          Whilst this combination works fine
          when directly connected to a Windows XP PC
          (needed to load some drivers though as not
          natively recognized as a mass-storage device)

          It is not recognized at all on the NSLU2

          I am obviously not certain whether this
          would also apply to your SCSI h/disk

          But I'm not sure that I would risk very much money
          upon this combination working.

          Just my 2pence/2cents worth

          Cheers
          Ian W.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "justizin" <justizin@y...>
          wrote:

          > Has anyone tried this? I found an adaptec device called 'USB2
          > XCHANGE' which will bridge a 50-pin external scsi device to usb
          2.0.
          > So, I should be able to adapt and fit it into some sort of
          enclosure.

          > The best I've come up with so far is that I could purchase a 68pin
          > 50pin adapter (about $50), a 50pin single-drive enclosure (about
          $50),
          > and an adaptec USB2 XCHANGE for - you guessed it - about $50.
          >
          > Anyone have ideas on how I might be able to lower the cost here
          some?
          > I know, btw, that I'm not going to get full scsi potential, but
          this
          > is a nice drive which is going to waste, and I should still benefit
          > from fast seeks on the 10krpm disk.
          >
          > TIA!
        • Gary Gutman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2005
            Hi, I have a few 68 to 50 pin adapters that I'm willing to sell for
            less than $50.

            If you are still looking to prsue this task, there's one one that
            you can save.

            Regards,
            mrgary

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Ian White"