Re: More on weird authentication problem

  • mwmccaw
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2005
      I tried telnetting to the nslu2 by its assigned name, and got
      a "failed to connect" message.
      Thanks,
      Mike
    • unix fan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2005
        --- mwmccaw <mwmccaw@...> wrote:

        > I tried telnetting to the nslu2 by its assigned
        > name, and got
        > a "failed to connect" message.
        > Thanks,
        > Mike

        You have to enable telnet and you need to have an
        account that allows telnet in.

        To have an account ready for telnet into the box:
        http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php

        To enable telnet:
        http://192.168.1.77/Management/telnet.cgi

        If you take the drive and hook it up to a Linux
        system, you can do essentially the same thing.

        Don't have a Linux system? Use Knoppix to boot from CD
        and it will leave your existing Windows system
        untouched.
        The steps in brief (I'm assuming your OK with Linux
        use):
        1. Download the knoppix iso image:
        http://www.knoppix.org/
        2. Burn ISO image to a bootable CD
        3. Detach the external USB drive from the NSLU2
        4. Attach the drive to the shutdown Windows box
        5. Power up, Boot up knoppix from CD

        Once you are on a Linux system, do the comparisons.
        6. Explore file permissions on the usb drive. If the
        partions are not mounted by the knoppix CD, the first
        partition can be mounted via a command such as
        mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
        cd /mnt/usb
        7. To explore second partition,
        umount /mnt/usb
        mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb

        I hope this helps and does not confuse you more.
        God luck amigo.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Krusty The Clown
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 30, 2005
          I have this same problem but with one drive. I can read all the
          files, but I am not able to write to any of the files or add new one
          when I access it in My computer as a mapped drive with the admin
          user id. It is a maxtor 300GB. The permissions are "drwxrwxr-x"
          and the user "admin" and the group "everyone" for all the files and
          folders. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me fix
          this problem.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, unix fan <unix_fan@y...> wrote:

          > --- mwmccaw <mwmccaw@y...> wrote:
          >

          > > I tried telnetting to the nslu2 by its assigned
          > > name, and got
          > > a "failed to connect" message.
          > > Thanks,
          > > Mike
          >
          > You have to enable telnet and you need to have an
          > account that allows telnet in.
          >
          > To have an account ready for telnet into the box:
          > http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php
          >
          > To enable telnet:
          > http://192.168.1.77/Management/telnet.cgi
          >
          > If you take the drive and hook it up to a Linux
          > system, you can do essentially the same thing.
          >
          > Don't have a Linux system? Use Knoppix to boot from CD
          > and it will leave your existing Windows system
          > untouched.
          > The steps in brief (I'm assuming your OK with Linux
          > use):
          > 1. Download the knoppix iso image:
          > http://www.knoppix.org/
          > 2. Burn ISO image to a bootable CD
          > 3. Detach the external USB drive from the NSLU2
          > 4. Attach the drive to the shutdown Windows box
          > 5. Power up, Boot up knoppix from CD
          >
          > Once you are on a Linux system, do the comparisons.
          > 6. Explore file permissions on the usb drive. If the
          > partions are not mounted by the knoppix CD, the first
          > partition can be mounted via a command such as
          > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
          > cd /mnt/usb
          > 7. To explore second partition,
          > umount /mnt/usb
          > mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb
          >
          > I hope this helps and does not confuse you more.
          > God luck amigo.

          > http://mail.yahoo.com
        • odvdveer
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 30, 2005
            Try chmod 777 on the directory. If it works write a file from your pc
            to the slug and check ownership of this file.

            Olga

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Krusty The Clown"
            <tempbart@e...> wrote:

            > I have this same problem but with one drive. I can read all the
            > files, but I am not able to write to any of the files or add new one
            > when I access it in My computer as a mapped drive with the admin
            > user id. It is a maxtor 300GB. The permissions are "drwxrwxr-x"
            > and the user "admin" and the group "everyone" for all the files and
            > folders. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me fix
            > this problem.
            >

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, unix fan <unix_fan@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- mwmccaw <mwmccaw@y...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > I tried telnetting to the nslu2 by its assigned
            > > > name, and got
            > > > a "failed to connect" message.
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Mike
            > >
            > > You have to enable telnet and you need to have an
            > > account that allows telnet in.
            > >
            > > To have an account ready for telnet into the box:
            > > http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php
            > >
            > > To enable telnet:
            > > http://192.168.1.77/Management/telnet.cgi
            > >
            > > If you take the drive and hook it up to a Linux
            > > system, you can do essentially the same thing.
            > >
            > > Don't have a Linux system? Use Knoppix to boot from CD
            > > and it will leave your existing Windows system
            > > untouched.
            > > The steps in brief (I'm assuming your OK with Linux
            > > use):
            > > 1. Download the knoppix iso image:
            > > http://www.knoppix.org/
            > > 2. Burn ISO image to a bootable CD
            > > 3. Detach the external USB drive from the NSLU2
            > > 4. Attach the drive to the shutdown Windows box
            > > 5. Power up, Boot up knoppix from CD
            > >
            > > Once you are on a Linux system, do the comparisons.
            > > 6. Explore file permissions on the usb drive. If the
            > > partions are not mounted by the knoppix CD, the first
            > > partition can be mounted via a command such as
            > > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
            > > cd /mnt/usb
            > > 7. To explore second partition,
            > > umount /mnt/usb
            > > mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb
            > >
            > > I hope this helps and does not confuse you more.
            > > God luck amigo.

            > > http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Krusty The Clown
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
              When I do the "chmod 777" command it gave me an error message saying
              the directory is read-only file system. What should I do now?

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "odvdveer" <odvdveer@h...>
              wrote:

              > Try chmod 777 on the directory. If it works write a file from your
              pc
              > to the slug and check ownership of this file.
              >
              > Olga
              >
              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Krusty The Clown"
              > <tempbart@e...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have this same problem but with one drive. I can read all the
              > > files, but I am not able to write to any of the files or add new
              one
              > > when I access it in My computer as a mapped drive with the admin
              > > user id. It is a maxtor 300GB. The permissions are "drwxrwxr-
              x"
              > > and the user "admin" and the group "everyone" for all the files
              and
              > > folders. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me
              fix
              > > this problem.
              > >

              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, unix fan <unix_fan@y...>
              wrote:

              > > > You have to enable telnet and you need to have an
              > > > account that allows telnet in.
              > > >
              > > > To have an account ready for telnet into the box:
              > > > http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php
              > > >
              > > > To enable telnet:
              > > > http://192.168.1.77/Management/telnet.cgi
              > > >
              > > > If you take the drive and hook it up to a Linux
              > > > system, you can do essentially the same thing.
              > > >
              > > > Don't have a Linux system? Use Knoppix to boot from CD
              > > > and it will leave your existing Windows system
              > > > untouched.
              > > > The steps in brief (I'm assuming your OK with Linux
              > > > use):
              > > > 1. Download the knoppix iso image:
              > > > http://www.knoppix.org/
              > > > 2. Burn ISO image to a bootable CD
              > > > 3. Detach the external USB drive from the NSLU2
              > > > 4. Attach the drive to the shutdown Windows box
              > > > 5. Power up, Boot up knoppix from CD
              > > >
              > > > Once you are on a Linux system, do the comparisons.
              > > > 6. Explore file permissions on the usb drive. If the
              > > > partions are not mounted by the knoppix CD, the first
              > > > partition can be mounted via a command such as
              > > > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
              > > > cd /mnt/usb
              > > > 7. To explore second partition,
              > > > umount /mnt/usb
              > > > mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb
              > > >
              > > > I hope this helps and does not confuse you more.
              > > > God luck amigo.

              around
              > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
            • odvdveer