Re: More on weird authentication problem

  • mwmccaw
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2005
      Is this something I should be able to do with an unmodified nslu2?
      Or do I need to unsling it?
      I have only used the web interface, and that SHOWS that both drives
      have the same permissions and owners! That is what is puzzling me.
      Thanks for your help!
      Mike

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, unix fan <unix_fan@y...> wrote:
      > Can you telnet into the nslu2?
      > If yes, then
      > cd drive1
      > "ls -l" to get the good owner and group permissions.
      > Do the same thing to drive2.
      > ls -l should show a different user and group.
      >
      > The mission:
      > Change the permissions on drive 2 to match those on
      > drive 1.
      >
      > e.g.,
      > cd /drive2
      > chown -R good_user:good_group .
      >
      > --- mwmccaw <mwmccaw@y...> wrote:
      >

      > > After a couple of days, Disk1 recognizes me and I've
      > > regained RW
      > > access to it. Disk2, while showing my account as
      > > the file owner,
      > > resolutely won't allow me to write anything.
      > > I've removed the groups with access, and then
      > > re-created them, no
      > > joy.
      > > I've reoved the disk from the group access, then
      > > re-entered it, no
      > > joy.
      > >
      > > Disk1 is a 250 gb WD, Disk2 is a 500 gb LaCie, with
      > > about 260 gb on
      > > it. Could the size have any bearing on what'g going
      > > on?
      > >
      > > I am at the point of re-formatting Disk2 and putting
      > > all the files
      > > back on. Major PITA!
      > >
      > > Anybody have any suggestions?
      > >
      > > TIA,
      > > Mike

      > Send holiday email and support a worthy cause. Do good.
      > http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
    • mwmccaw
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2005
        I tried telnetting to the nslu2 by its assigned name, and got
        a "failed to connect" message.
        Thanks,
        Mike
      • unix fan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2005
          --- mwmccaw <mwmccaw@...> wrote:

          > I tried telnetting to the nslu2 by its assigned
          > name, and got
          > a "failed to connect" message.
          > Thanks,
          > Mike

          You have to enable telnet and you need to have an
          account that allows telnet in.

          To have an account ready for telnet into the box:
          http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php

          To enable telnet:
          http://192.168.1.77/Management/telnet.cgi

          If you take the drive and hook it up to a Linux
          system, you can do essentially the same thing.

          Don't have a Linux system? Use Knoppix to boot from CD
          and it will leave your existing Windows system
          untouched.
          The steps in brief (I'm assuming your OK with Linux
          use):
          1. Download the knoppix iso image:
          http://www.knoppix.org/
          2. Burn ISO image to a bootable CD
          3. Detach the external USB drive from the NSLU2
          4. Attach the drive to the shutdown Windows box
          5. Power up, Boot up knoppix from CD

          Once you are on a Linux system, do the comparisons.
          6. Explore file permissions on the usb drive. If the
          partions are not mounted by the knoppix CD, the first
          partition can be mounted via a command such as
          mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
          cd /mnt/usb
          7. To explore second partition,
          umount /mnt/usb
          mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb

          I hope this helps and does not confuse you more.
          God luck amigo.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Krusty The Clown
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 30, 2005
            I have this same problem but with one drive. I can read all the
            files, but I am not able to write to any of the files or add new one
            when I access it in My computer as a mapped drive with the admin
            user id. It is a maxtor 300GB. The permissions are "drwxrwxr-x"
            and the user "admin" and the group "everyone" for all the files and
            folders. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me fix
            this problem.

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, unix fan <unix_fan@y...> wrote:

            > --- mwmccaw <mwmccaw@y...> wrote:
            >

            > > I tried telnetting to the nslu2 by its assigned
            > > name, and got
            > > a "failed to connect" message.
            > > Thanks,
            > > Mike
            >
            > You have to enable telnet and you need to have an
            > account that allows telnet in.
            >
            > To have an account ready for telnet into the box:
            > http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php
            >
            > To enable telnet:
            > http://192.168.1.77/Management/telnet.cgi
            >
            > If you take the drive and hook it up to a Linux
            > system, you can do essentially the same thing.
            >
            > Don't have a Linux system? Use Knoppix to boot from CD
            > and it will leave your existing Windows system
            > untouched.
            > The steps in brief (I'm assuming your OK with Linux
            > use):
            > 1. Download the knoppix iso image:
            > http://www.knoppix.org/
            > 2. Burn ISO image to a bootable CD
            > 3. Detach the external USB drive from the NSLU2
            > 4. Attach the drive to the shutdown Windows box
            > 5. Power up, Boot up knoppix from CD
            >
            > Once you are on a Linux system, do the comparisons.
            > 6. Explore file permissions on the usb drive. If the
            > partions are not mounted by the knoppix CD, the first
            > partition can be mounted via a command such as
            > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
            > cd /mnt/usb
            > 7. To explore second partition,
            > umount /mnt/usb
            > mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb
            >
            > I hope this helps and does not confuse you more.
            > God luck amigo.

            > http://mail.yahoo.com
          • odvdveer
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 30, 2005
              Try chmod 777 on the directory. If it works write a file from your pc
              to the slug and check ownership of this file.

              Olga

              --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Krusty The Clown"
              <tempbart@e...> wrote:

              > I have this same problem but with one drive. I can read all the
              > files, but I am not able to write to any of the files or add new one
              > when I access it in My computer as a mapped drive with the admin
              > user id. It is a maxtor 300GB. The permissions are "drwxrwxr-x"
              > and the user "admin" and the group "everyone" for all the files and
              > folders. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me fix
              > this problem.
              >

              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, unix fan <unix_fan@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- mwmccaw <mwmccaw@y...> wrote:
              > >

              > > > I tried telnetting to the nslu2 by its assigned
              > > > name, and got
              > > > a "failed to connect" message.
              > > > Thanks,
              > > > Mike
              > >
              > > You have to enable telnet and you need to have an
              > > account that allows telnet in.
              > >
              > > To have an account ready for telnet into the box:
              > > http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php
              > >
              > > To enable telnet:
              > > http://192.168.1.77/Management/telnet.cgi
              > >
              > > If you take the drive and hook it up to a Linux
              > > system, you can do essentially the same thing.
              > >
              > > Don't have a Linux system? Use Knoppix to boot from CD
              > > and it will leave your existing Windows system
              > > untouched.
              > > The steps in brief (I'm assuming your OK with Linux
              > > use):
              > > 1. Download the knoppix iso image:
              > > http://www.knoppix.org/
              > > 2. Burn ISO image to a bootable CD
              > > 3. Detach the external USB drive from the NSLU2
              > > 4. Attach the drive to the shutdown Windows box
              > > 5. Power up, Boot up knoppix from CD
              > >
              > > Once you are on a Linux system, do the comparisons.
              > > 6. Explore file permissions on the usb drive. If the
              > > partions are not mounted by the knoppix CD, the first
              > > partition can be mounted via a command such as
              > > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
              > > cd /mnt/usb
              > > 7. To explore second partition,
              > > umount /mnt/usb
              > > mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb
              > >
              > > I hope this helps and does not confuse you more.
              > > God luck amigo.

              > > http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Krusty The Clown
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 1, 2005
                When I do the "chmod 777" command it gave me an error message saying
                the directory is read-only file system. What should I do now?

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "odvdveer" <odvdveer@h...>
                wrote:

                > Try chmod 777 on the directory. If it works write a file from your
                pc
                > to the slug and check ownership of this file.
                >
                > Olga
                >
                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Krusty The Clown"
                > <tempbart@e...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I have this same problem but with one drive. I can read all the
                > > files, but I am not able to write to any of the files or add new
                one
                > > when I access it in My computer as a mapped drive with the admin
                > > user id. It is a maxtor 300GB. The permissions are "drwxrwxr-
                x"
                > > and the user "admin" and the group "everyone" for all the files
                and
                > > folders. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me
                fix
                > > this problem.
                > >

                > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, unix fan <unix_fan@y...>
                wrote:

                > > > You have to enable telnet and you need to have an
                > > > account that allows telnet in.
                > > >
                > > > To have an account ready for telnet into the box:
                > > > http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php
                > > >
                > > > To enable telnet:
                > > > http://192.168.1.77/Management/telnet.cgi
                > > >
                > > > If you take the drive and hook it up to a Linux
                > > > system, you can do essentially the same thing.
                > > >
                > > > Don't have a Linux system? Use Knoppix to boot from CD
                > > > and it will leave your existing Windows system
                > > > untouched.
                > > > The steps in brief (I'm assuming your OK with Linux
                > > > use):
                > > > 1. Download the knoppix iso image:
                > > > http://www.knoppix.org/
                > > > 2. Burn ISO image to a bootable CD
                > > > 3. Detach the external USB drive from the NSLU2
                > > > 4. Attach the drive to the shutdown Windows box
                > > > 5. Power up, Boot up knoppix from CD
                > > >
                > > > Once you are on a Linux system, do the comparisons.
                > > > 6. Explore file permissions on the usb drive. If the
                > > > partions are not mounted by the knoppix CD, the first
                > > > partition can be mounted via a command such as
                > > > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
                > > > cd /mnt/usb
                > > > 7. To explore second partition,
                > > > umount /mnt/usb
                > > > mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb
                > > >
                > > > I hope this helps and does not confuse you more.
                > > > God luck amigo.

                around
                > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
              • odvdveer