More on weird authentication problem

  • mwmccaw
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2005
      After a couple of days, Disk1 recognizes me and I've regained RW
      access to it. Disk2, while showing my account as the file owner,
      resolutely won't allow me to write anything.
      I've removed the groups with access, and then re-created them, no
      joy.
      I've reoved the disk from the group access, then re-entered it, no
      joy.

      Disk1 is a 250 gb WD, Disk2 is a 500 gb LaCie, with about 260 gb on
      it. Could the size have any bearing on what'g going on?

      I am at the point of re-formatting Disk2 and putting all the files
      back on. Major PITA!

      Anybody have any suggestions?

      TIA,
      Mike
    • unix fan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2005
        Can you telnet into the nslu2?
        If yes, then
        cd drive1
        "ls -l" to get the good owner and group permissions.
        Do the same thing to drive2.
        ls -l should show a different user and group.

        The mission:
        Change the permissions on drive 2 to match those on
        drive 1.

        e.g.,
        cd /drive2
        chown -R good_user:good_group .

        --- mwmccaw <mwmccaw@...> wrote:

        > After a couple of days, Disk1 recognizes me and I've
        > regained RW
        > access to it. Disk2, while showing my account as
        > the file owner,
        > resolutely won't allow me to write anything.
        > I've removed the groups with access, and then
        > re-created them, no
        > joy.
        > I've reoved the disk from the group access, then
        > re-entered it, no
        > joy.
        >
        > Disk1 is a 250 gb WD, Disk2 is a 500 gb LaCie, with
        > about 260 gb on
        > it. Could the size have any bearing on what'g going
        > on?
        >
        > I am at the point of re-formatting Disk2 and putting
        > all the files
        > back on. Major PITA!
        >
        > Anybody have any suggestions?
        >
        > TIA,
        > Mike

        http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
      • mwmccaw
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2005
          Is this something I should be able to do with an unmodified nslu2?
          Or do I need to unsling it?
          I have only used the web interface, and that SHOWS that both drives
          have the same permissions and owners! That is what is puzzling me.
          Thanks for your help!
          Mike

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2005
            I tried telnetting to the nslu2 by its assigned name, and got
            a "failed to connect" message.
            Thanks,
            Mike
          • unix fan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2005
              --- mwmccaw <mwmccaw@...> wrote:

              > I tried telnetting to the nslu2 by its assigned
              > name, and got
              > a "failed to connect" message.
              > Thanks,
              > Mike

              You have to enable telnet and you need to have an
              account that allows telnet in.

              To have an account ready for telnet into the box:
              http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php

              To enable telnet:
              http://192.168.1.77/Management/telnet.cgi

              If you take the drive and hook it up to a Linux
              system, you can do essentially the same thing.

              Don't have a Linux system? Use Knoppix to boot from CD
              and it will leave your existing Windows system
              untouched.
              The steps in brief (I'm assuming your OK with Linux
              use):
              1. Download the knoppix iso image:
              http://www.knoppix.org/
              2. Burn ISO image to a bootable CD
              3. Detach the external USB drive from the NSLU2
              4. Attach the drive to the shutdown Windows box
              5. Power up, Boot up knoppix from CD

              Once you are on a Linux system, do the comparisons.
              6. Explore file permissions on the usb drive. If the
              partions are not mounted by the knoppix CD, the first
              partition can be mounted via a command such as
              mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
              cd /mnt/usb
              7. To explore second partition,
              umount /mnt/usb
              mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb

              I hope this helps and does not confuse you more.
              God luck amigo.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Krusty The Clown
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 30, 2005
                I have this same problem but with one drive. I can read all the
                files, but I am not able to write to any of the files or add new one
                when I access it in My computer as a mapped drive with the admin
                user id. It is a maxtor 300GB. The permissions are "drwxrwxr-x"
                and the user "admin" and the group "everyone" for all the files and
                folders. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me fix
                this problem.

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, unix fan <unix_fan@y...> wrote:

                > --- mwmccaw <mwmccaw@y...> wrote:
                >

                > > I tried telnetting to the nslu2 by its assigned
                > > name, and got
                > > a "failed to connect" message.
                > > Thanks,
                > > Mike
                >
                > You have to enable telnet and you need to have an
                > account that allows telnet in.
                >
                > To have an account ready for telnet into the box:
                > http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php
                >
                > To enable telnet:
                > http://192.168.1.77/Management/telnet.cgi
                >
                > If you take the drive and hook it up to a Linux
                > system, you can do essentially the same thing.
                >
                > Don't have a Linux system? Use Knoppix to boot from CD
                > and it will leave your existing Windows system
                > untouched.
                > The steps in brief (I'm assuming your OK with Linux
                > use):
                > 1. Download the knoppix iso image:
                > http://www.knoppix.org/
                > 2. Burn ISO image to a bootable CD
                > 3. Detach the external USB drive from the NSLU2
                > 4. Attach the drive to the shutdown Windows box
                > 5. Power up, Boot up knoppix from CD
                >
                > Once you are on a Linux system, do the comparisons.
                > 6. Explore file permissions on the usb drive. If the
                > partions are not mounted by the knoppix CD, the first
                > partition can be mounted via a command such as
                > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
                > cd /mnt/usb
                > 7. To explore second partition,
                > umount /mnt/usb
                > mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb
                >
                > I hope this helps and does not confuse you more.
                > God luck amigo.

                > http://mail.yahoo.com
              • odvdveer
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 30, 2005
                  Try chmod 777 on the directory. If it works write a file from your pc
                  to the slug and check ownership of this file.

                  Olga

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Krusty The Clown"
                  <tempbart@e...> wrote:

                  > I have this same problem but with one drive. I can read all the
                  > files, but I am not able to write to any of the files or add new one
                  > when I access it in My computer as a mapped drive with the admin
                  > user id. It is a maxtor 300GB. The permissions are "drwxrwxr-x"
                  > and the user "admin" and the group "everyone" for all the files and
                  > folders. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me fix
                  > this problem.
                  >

                  > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, unix fan <unix_fan@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- mwmccaw <mwmccaw@y...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > I tried telnetting to the nslu2 by its assigned
                  > > > name, and got
                  > > > a "failed to connect" message.
                  > > > Thanks,
                  > > > Mike
                  > >
                  > > You have to enable telnet and you need to have an
                  > > account that allows telnet in.
                  > >
                  > > To have an account ready for telnet into the box:
                  > > http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php
                  > >
                  > > To enable telnet:
                  > > http://192.168.1.77/Management/telnet.cgi
                  > >
                  > > If you take the drive and hook it up to a Linux
                  > > system, you can do essentially the same thing.
                  > >
                  > > Don't have a Linux system? Use Knoppix to boot from CD
                  > > and it will leave your existing Windows system
                  > > untouched.
                  > > The steps in brief (I'm assuming your OK with Linux
                  > > use):
                  > > 1. Download the knoppix iso image:
                  > > http://www.knoppix.org/
                  > > 2. Burn ISO image to a bootable CD
                  > > 3. Detach the external USB drive from the NSLU2
                  > > 4. Attach the drive to the shutdown Windows box
                  > > 5. Power up, Boot up knoppix from CD
                  > >
                  > > Once you are on a Linux system, do the comparisons.
                  > > 6. Explore file permissions on the usb drive. If the
                  > > partions are not mounted by the knoppix CD, the first
                  > > partition can be mounted via a command such as
                  > > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
                  > > cd /mnt/usb
                  > > 7. To explore second partition,
                  > > umount /mnt/usb
                  > > mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb
                  > >
                  > > I hope this helps and does not confuse you more.
                  > > God luck amigo.

                  > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Krusty The Clown
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1 2:27 PM
                    When I do the "chmod 777" command it gave me an error message saying
                    the directory is read-only file system. What should I do now?

                    --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "odvdveer" <odvdveer@h...>
                    wrote:

                    > Try chmod 777 on the directory. If it works write a file from your
                    pc
                    > to the slug and check ownership of this file.
                    >
                    > Olga
                    >
                    > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Krusty The Clown"
                    > <tempbart@e...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have this same problem but with one drive. I can read all the
                    > > files, but I am not able to write to any of the files or add new
                    one
                    > > when I access it in My computer as a mapped drive with the admin
                    > > user id. It is a maxtor 300GB. The permissions are "drwxrwxr-
                    x"
                    > > and the user "admin" and the group "everyone" for all the files
                    and
                    > > folders. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me
                    fix
                    > > this problem.
                    > >

                    > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, unix fan <unix_fan@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > > > You have to enable telnet and you need to have an
                    > > > account that allows telnet in.
                    > > >
                    > > > To have an account ready for telnet into the box:
                    > > > http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article85.php
                    > > >
                    > > > To enable telnet:
                    > > > http://192.168.1.77/Management/telnet.cgi
                    > > >
                    > > > If you take the drive and hook it up to a Linux
                    > > > system, you can do essentially the same thing.
                    > > >
                    > > > Don't have a Linux system? Use Knoppix to boot from CD
                    > > > and it will leave your existing Windows system
                    > > > untouched.
                    > > > The steps in brief (I'm assuming your OK with Linux
                    > > > use):
                    > > > 1. Download the knoppix iso image:
                    > > > http://www.knoppix.org/
                    > > > 2. Burn ISO image to a bootable CD
                    > > > 3. Detach the external USB drive from the NSLU2
                    > > > 4. Attach the drive to the shutdown Windows box
                    > > > 5. Power up, Boot up knoppix from CD
                    > > >
                    > > > Once you are on a Linux system, do the comparisons.
                    > > > 6. Explore file permissions on the usb drive. If the
                    > > > partions are not mounted by the knoppix CD, the first
                    > > > partition can be mounted via a command such as
                    > > > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
                    > > > cd /mnt/usb
                    > > > 7. To explore second partition,
                    > > > umount /mnt/usb
                    > > > mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/usb
                    > > >
                    > > > I hope this helps and does not confuse you more.
                    > > > God luck amigo.

                    around
                    > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • odvdveer