Re: Rtorrent, how does it work?

  • Sean Carolan
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 10, 2006
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ecarril" <ecarril@...> wrote:

      > here i tested and found the same problem.
      > rtorrent works fine, find peers when i open a torrent tracker, but
      > notdata is sent/received.
      > ctorrent using the same port range works fine.
      >
      > E.

      Exact same problem here. Pity, because rtorrent is such a cool
      client. Anyone else know how to fix this problem?
    • Ciemon Dunville
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006
        On 11/11/06, Sean Carolan <sean@...> wrote:
        > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ecarril" <ecarril@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > here i tested and found the same problem.
        > > rtorrent works fine, find peers when i open a torrent tracker, but
        > > notdata is sent/received.
        > > ctorrent using the same port range works fine.
        > >
        > > E.
        > >

        > Exact same problem here. Pity, because rtorrent is such a cool
        > client. Anyone else know how to fix this problem?

        Have you made sure the correct ports are open? Have a look at
        http://dessent.net/btfaq/#ports

        --Cie
      • Sean Carolan
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006
          > Have you made sure the correct ports are open? Have a look at
          > http://dessent.net/btfaq/#ports
          >
          > --Cie

          Yes, and in fact when I forward those same ports to another computer
          on the the network, Bittorrent works great. It's only the nslu2 that
          doesn't work. I'm wondering if there's something internally that is
          not allowing it to bind to those ports.
        • Razvan Gornea
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006
            Can you provide the output of the command:

            $ netstat -ntl

            and indicate which ports are allocated to rtorrent client. Also how many
            instances of rtorrent are you running?

            Razvan

            On 11/11/06, Sean Carolan <sean@...> wrote:

            > > Have you made sure the correct ports are open? Have a look at
            > > http://dessent.net/btfaq/#ports
            > >
            > > --Cie
            > >

            > Yes, and in fact when I forward those same ports to another computer
            > on the the network, Bittorrent works great. It's only the nslu2 that
            > doesn't work. I'm wondering if there's something internally that is
            > not allowing it to bind to those ports.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • bb
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006
              i have rtorrent (latest HEAD) working fine on a debianslug nslu2.

              i initially had a problem with another client on my network (utorrent)
              having upnp enabled. this was preventing rtorrent from ever starting a
              torrent.

              _____

              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006
                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Razvan Gornea" <gornea@...> wrote:

                > Can you provide the output of the command:
                >
                > $ netstat -ntl
                >
                > and indicate which ports are allocated to rtorrent client. Also how many
                > instances of rtorrent are you running?

                Hi Razvan, thank you for offering to help. I'm running one instance
                of rtorrent now, and it uses port 6890. Here's the result of netstat
                -ntl:

                Active Internet connections (only servers)
                Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
                State
                tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:1024 0.0.0.0:*
                LISTEN
                tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:2049 0.0.0.0:*
                LISTEN
                tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6890 0.0.0.0:*
                LISTEN
                tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:139 0.0.0.0:*
                LISTEN
                tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:*
                LISTEN
                tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:688 0.0.0.0:*
                LISTEN
                tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:*
                LISTEN
                tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:691 0.0.0.0:*
                LISTEN
                tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:*
                LISTEN
                tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:2780 0.0.0.0:*
                LISTEN
                tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:*
                LISTEN

                Thanks

                Sean
              • Sean Carolan
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006
                  > i initially had a problem with another client on my network (utorrent)
                  > having upnp enabled. this was preventing rtorrent from ever starting a
                  > torrent.

                  I actually have upnp turned off already - should I turn it on?

                  Incidentally, I installed enhanced-ctorrent in the meantime and it
                  works fine.
                • Razvan Gornea
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006

                    sorry the command was incomplete. My impression is that you may be using
                    multiple clients allocated to the same port. Probably the first to bind to
                    the port is the only one that works. So again, get root access and try it
                    with the p flag:

                    $ su

                    # netstat -ntlp

                    I get this output (I am leastening on 6999)

                    # netstat -ntlp
                    Active Internet connections (only servers)
                    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
                    State PID/Program name
                    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6999 0.0.0.0:*
                    LISTEN 2639/rtorrent
                    tcp6 0 0 :::22 :::*
                    LISTEN 1121/sshd

                    check that it is the rtorrent client that's bind to the port:

                    # ps -ef | grep 2639
                    gornea 2639 2638 3 18:23 pts/1 00:00:43 rtorrent
                    root 2653 2650 0 18:42 pts/0 00:00:00 grep 2639

                    If it is OK then check if you have a local firewall preventing access to
                    your port 6890. If there is no problem with firewall than I guess it has
                    something to do with rtorrent configuration and is not related to NSLU2.
                    Check your .rtorrent.rc file, for standard network configuration you only
                    need to set:

                    # Port range to use for listening.
                    port_range = 6890-6890

                    leave unchanged stuff like:

                    # The ip address reported to the tracker.
                    #ip = rakshasa

                    # The ip address the listening socket and outgoing connections is
                    # bound to.
                    #bind = rakshasa

                    What is rtorrent telling you when you start a new torrent? Normally it
                    prints a message in the bottom of the screen when it has encounters an
                    error.

                    Razvan

                  • Sean Carolan
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006
                      Hi Razvan:

                      Thanks again for sticking with me. I tried what you suggested below:

                      > $ su
                      >
                      > # netstat -ntlp

                      tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6890 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 1790/rtorrent

                      > check that it is the rtorrent client that's bind to the port:
                      >
                      > # ps -ef | grep 1790

                      bash-3.1# ps -ef | grep 1790
                      1790 ttyp1 root 6616 S rtorrent
                      1801 ttyp2 root 2672 S grep 1790

                      > If it is OK then check if you have a local firewall preventing access to
                      > your port 6890.

                      Nope, my Netgear firewall actually is set to forward traffic to this
                      port on the nslu2.

                      > Check your .rtorrent.rc file, for standard network configuration you
                      only
                      > need to set:
                      >
                      > # Port range to use for listening.
                      > port_range = 6890-6890

                      Done.

                      > What is rtorrent telling you when you start a new torrent? Normally it
                      > prints a message in the bottom of the screen when it has encounters an
                      > error.

                      This is the weird part - rtorrent doesn't output any errors, it just
                      doesn't transfer any data. I can even see a long list of peers that
                      I'm connected to. But the upload and download speeds remain at zero.
                    • Razvan Gornea
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 11, 2006

                        it looks OK so probably configuration is OK. Just a few details:

                        your router's firewall is OK because you said that the same port works on
                        other machine on your network. You may have a another firewall on the NSLU2
                        but probably you don't ... anyway this would tell you:

                        # iptables -L

                        the output is easy to understand if you don't have a firewall. If you do it
                        is easier to know what program was used to generate it because otherwise it
                        gets complicated ...

                        Now let's suppose you don't have a local firewall. In this case you should
                        have peers that connect locally and remotely also. If you would have a
                        firewall that cuts access to your leastening port you will have only
                        outgoing connections (those initiated by your client). Here goes an example
                        of peers to one of my torrent:

                        ***
                        Pirates.of.The.Caribbean.2.Dead.Mans.Chest.2006.NTSC.DVDR ***
                        IP UP DOWN PEER C/RE/LO QS DONE
                        REQ SNUB FAILED
                        Peer list 201.24.137.134 0.0 0.0 41.0 r/ui/un 0/0
                        72 Mainline 5.0.0
                        58.69.51.86 0.0 0.0 27.3 r/ci/un 0/0
                        68 uTorrent 1.6.0.0
                        Info 124.106.137.73 0.5 0.0 41.0 l/ci/un 0/0
                        6 unknown
                        81.224.122.28 3.6 0.0 211.6 r/ci/un 1/0
                        30 uTorrent 1.6.0.0

                        The field C/RE/LO is of interess here. Let's take the first client:

                        201.24.137.134 0.0 0.0 41.0 r/ui/un 0/0 72
                        Mainline 5.0.0

                        the r/ui/un means the following:
                        - r : the connection was initiated remotely, so 201.24.137.134 was able to
                        connect to my NSLU2 at port 6999
                        - ui : this client is interested in downloading data from me and is not
                        chocking the connection
                        - un : my client is not interested to download data from him and I am not
                        chocking

                        So now first thing you could check is that the peers you see are all local
                        client, i.e. C=l then it means you have peers but all your connections are
                        initiated from your NSLU2 and no peers can connect to your port. Also check
                        if any of peers is interested in downloading from you, if all of them are
                        RE=un or RE=cn then it is normal you have no upload. Same thing for LO field
                        check if you are interested in downloading from them.

                        If all of this is OK. Check the field on the bottom of the screen:

                        [U 21/22] [S 0/36/192] [F 900/900]

                        The U field is number of connections that do upload versus the maximal
                        number. In my case it means there are 21 connections for upload (or more
                        preciselly interested in upload) over 22 maximum possible. Now the max. is
                        not the product of number of torrents times max. uploads per torrent that
                        you set in config file but rather is determinated by the maximum upload
                        speed you set. I set the max. upload speed to 60 kBy/s because my ADSL line
                        does errors when operated at higher speed and some peers have clients that
                        will bann your client if it does errors especially for torrents on trackers
                        that compile upload/download info. and enforce ration rules. In any case if
                        you see that all peers are not interessed by your data you can check for
                        this type of problem.

                        The S field means number of handshake connections over number of connections
                        over total maximum number of connections. In my example this is limited to
                        192 because this is the max. my router can do. This can be another problem
                        also especially if you already have lots of traffic going on. Usually
                        routers that have a firewall with stateful inspection can do a limited
                        number of translations, for example mine can do 512 outgoing and incoming.
                        More than that it starts to randomly overwrite some of them. You may end up
                        with connections between your router and NSLU2 but they go no further to
                        your peers. If this is the problem then is not enougth to limite the number
                        of connections in rtorrent you will have to limite the number of connections
                        per internal IP in your router so the NSLU2 gets it fair share of traffic.

                        The last field is number of open files over max. open files. Never worked
                        with more than 900 + something files for me, but I guess you will get an
                        error message if this is the problem. Also you should get a message if your
                        client or library version is not compatible with the tracker that manages
                        the torrent.

                        I must say that it is very weird situation as I did have problems with
                        rtorrent but never end up in a situation were there was no error message
                        that could at least indicate a hint about what's going on.

                        Razvan

                      • Sean Carolan
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
                          > anyway this would tell you:
                          >
                          > # iptables -L

                          Nope, iptables is not installed.

                          > In this case you should
                          > have peers that connect locally and remotely also.

                          > So now first thing you could check is that the peers you see are all
                          local
                          > client, i.e. C=l then it means you have peers but all your
                          connections are
                          > initiated from your NSLU2 and no peers can connect to your port.

                          I have both l and r entries in the C column.

                          Also check
                          > if any of peers is interested in downloading from you, if all of
                          them are
                          > RE=un or RE=cn then it is normal you have no upload.

                          Yes, they are all un and cn.

                          > Same thing for LO field
                          > check if you are interested in downloading from them.

                          All ci, right down the list.

                          > If all of this is OK. Check the field on the bottom of the screen:
                          >
                          > [U 21/22] [S 0/36/192] [F 900/900]

                          I don't seem to have this U field. I only have S and F:

                          [S 0/15/768] [F 2/128]

                          Sometimes the torrent speed will jump to 0.1 for a half second, but
                          then it goes back to zero. Does rtorrent have any way to generate
                          more detailed logs or error messages?

                          > I must say that it is very weird situation as I did have problems with
                          > rtorrent but never end up in a situation were there was no error message
                          > that could at least indicate a hint about what's going on.

                          Yes, enhanced-ctorrent works fine, but I really hope to get rtorrent
                          working because its much better for managing multiple torrent files.

                          thanks

                          Sean
                        • Sean Carolan
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
                            Razvan, I tried running rtorrent with the 'b' flag. (IP changed to
                            protect the innocent)

                            bash-3.1# rtorrent -b *.*.*.*
                            Caught exception: "Could not open port for listening."

                            Could this be a clue to what's wrong?
                          • Razvan Gornea
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006

                              I am using rtorrent 0.6.2 / libtorrent 0.10.2 / DebianSlug. What is your
                              config exactly and if your are running an older version can you upgrade?

                              My understanding is that the -b flag or this config in .rtorrent.rc file:

                              # The ip address reported to the tracker.
                              #ip = rakshasa

                              # The ip address the listening socket and outgoing connections is
                              # bound to.
                              #bind = rakshasa

                              is to be used if you have multiple interfaces and you have to specified your
                              public address in field "IP reported to tracker". I never had to use these
                              settings. If you used your public address is not going to work.

                              Since another client works fine ... try to upgrade rtorrent. If your are
                              running DebianSlug then just do an

                              # apt-get -V update
                              # apt-get -uV install rtorrent

                              This will take care of propre dependency on libtorrent
                              .
                              Razvan

                            • Sean Carolan
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
                                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Razvan Gornea" <gornea@...> wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > I am using rtorrent 0.6.2 / libtorrent 0.10.2 / DebianSlug. What is your
                                > config exactly and if your are running an older version can you upgrade?

                                I'm using unslung beta 6.8, and I noticed the unslung version of
                                rtorrent is really old - around 0.3 or so. I tried to download and
                                compile it myself but there were too many missing dependencies and
                                libraries that were not available in the feed. Maybe if I have time
                                I'll set up a build environment on my laptop and see if I can figure
                                it out.

                                > is to be used if you have multiple interfaces and you have to
                                specified your
                                > public address in field "IP reported to tracker". I never had to use
                                these
                                > settings.

                                You are correct.

                                > Since another client works fine ... try to upgrade rtorrent. If your are
                                > running DebianSlug then just do an
                                >
                                > # apt-get -V update
                                > # apt-get -uV install rtorrent

                                Ok, this sort of leads to another question. I spent quite a bit of
                                time getting my slug set up just the way I want it. There are custom
                                scripts for keeping my dynamic ip in sync with my hostname, NFS and
                                SMB shares, etc. How's the upgrade from unslung to debianslug? Is it
                                hard to do? Will all my settings get wiped out?

                                I have used Debian before and enjoy it's flexibility and stability.
                              • Rod Whitby
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
                                  Sean Carolan wrote:
                                  > Ok, this sort of leads to another question. I spent quite a bit of
                                  > time getting my slug set up just the way I want it. There are custom
                                  > scripts for keeping my dynamic ip in sync with my hostname, NFS and
                                  > SMB shares, etc. How's the upgrade from unslung to debianslug? Is it
                                  > hard to do? Will all my settings get wiped out?

                                  It's a complete reflash (i.e. there is no upgrade path, it's a
                                  reinstall). It's not hard to do. The only settings that will be
                                  retained are the network settings you entered in the web interface.

                                  -- Rod
                                • Sean Carolan
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
                                    > It's a complete reflash (i.e. there is no upgrade path, it's a
                                    > reinstall). It's not hard to do. The only settings that will be
                                    > retained are the network settings you entered in the web interface.
                                    >
                                    > -- Rod

                                    Since I only want rtorrent, I'm going to try building an ipkg myself
                                    from source. If that doesn't work then I'll consider an upgrade.
                                  • Sean Carolan
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
                                      > It's a complete reflash (i.e. there is no upgrade path, it's a
                                      > reinstall). It's not hard to do. The only settings that will be
                                      > retained are the network settings you entered in the web interface.
                                      >
                                      > -- Rod

                                      When trying to setup the cross-compiling environment I keep getting
                                      errors. This is on an Ubuntu Edgy Eft system. I heard that the
                                      crosstools will not setup on Edgy. Would someone like to build a new
                                      rtorrent ipkg for me? I'm willing to pay you for this as I'd really
                                      like to have rtorrent working, but don't have a ton of time to spend
                                      compiling and testing myself. Contact me at sean@... if you can
                                      help.
                                    • Razvan Gornea
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
                                        Hi Sean,

                                        I understand your frustrations, sometimes I just wanted to throw my NSLU2 to
                                        the garbage! :)

                                        Still it may be interesting to consider switching to debianslug. I have not
                                        really used the other OS's available for the NSLU2 so I can not comment on
                                        them but debianslug pretty much allows you to do everything. In my case I
                                        only have a laptop. I use the NSLU2 for backup and peer to peer download. If
                                        you start to have a significative amount of download/upload traffic you will
                                        probably need also a couple of tools like unrar and growisofs (to burn DVD).
                                        To my knowledge this stuff is not readily available with cross-compiled
                                        packages so you will have to compile them natively. You can certainly do
                                        this within debianslug for the other options I don't know.

                                        That being said ... the NSLU2 is more like a hobby and sometimes you will
                                        have to spend time taking care of it! As soon as I get some extra money I
                                        will replace it with a PC running Slackware and expose my NSLU2 on a shelf
                                        in the library because it is so cute to look at! :)

                                        Razvan

                                      • Sean Carolan
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 12, 2006
                                          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Razvan Gornea" <gornea@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi Sean,
                                          >
                                          > I understand your frustrations, sometimes I just wanted to throw my
                                          NSLU2 to
                                          > the garbage! :)

                                          Hah, we Linux users are suckers for punishment. If I had a nickel for
                                          every hour I spent tracking down drivers or trying to get some package
                                          working . . .

                                          > That being said ... the NSLU2 is more like a hobby and sometimes you
                                          will
                                          > have to spend time taking care of it! As soon as I get some extra
                                          money I
                                          > will replace it with a PC running Slackware and expose my NSLU2 on a
                                          shelf
                                          > in the library because it is so cute to look at! :)

                                          I'm going to give this one last shot - I'm actually creating a build
                                          environment on the slug, and this has been going on now for about
                                          seven hours. Do people really run gentoo on their slugs? I shudder
                                          to think about how long it takes to compile everything.

                                          If I can get a new rtorrent package built, it's about the last feature
                                          I wanted to add. If not, then I'll make backups of all my config
                                          files and consider making the jump to debianslug. I'll let you know
                                          how it goes - hopefully my build environment will be ready by tomorrow
                                          morning!

                                          thanks

                                          Sean
                                        • Sean Carolan
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                                            > If I can get a new rtorrent package built, it's about the last feature
                                            > I wanted to add. If not, then I'll make backups of all my config
                                            > files and consider making the jump to debianslug. I'll let you know
                                            > how it goes - hopefully my build environment will be ready by tomorrow
                                            > morning!

                                            Ok, so I managed to get a build environment set up on the slug. Now
                                            there is another problem - I can't build rtorrent without a newer
                                            version of libtorrent. Ok, fair enough. So I setup my libtorrent.mk
                                            file, edit all the variables and try to make the package. Now I get
                                            this error:

                                            checking for openssl... gnome-config: No such file or directory
                                            gnome-config: No such file or directory
                                            Package openssl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
                                            Perhaps you should add the directory containing `openssl.pc'
                                            No package 'openssl' found
                                            configure: error: Could not find openssl's crypto library
                                            ./configure: line 22643: exit: try: numeric argument required
                                            ./configure: line 22643: exit: try: numeric argument required
                                            make: *** [/share/hdd/data/slug/optware/builds/libtorrent/.configured]
                                            Error 255

                                            Any suggestions?
                                          • Mark Zander
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                                              I've been using rtorrent for about a year now on Openslug 2.7 and
                                              Openslug3.10. I haven't experienced any problems.
                                              It was straight forward to compile from source natively, as long as
                                              you also compiled a few dependent libs and packages.

                                              ######
                                              Some details from my build notes:

                                              Install native compile environment.
                                              ipkg install slugos-native
                                              ipkg install linux-libc-headers-dev
                                              ipkg install libc6-dev - provided 'stdlib.h'
                                              ipkg install libz1 libz-dev libz-doc

                                              Then some support libs.

                                              ipkg install libglib-2.0-0 libglib-2.0-dev libglib-2.0-doc libglib-2.0-utils
                                              ipkg install libcurl-dev libcurl-doc libcurl3 curl curl-doc
                                              ipkg install screen

                                              Then download and compile librtorrent and rtorrent.

                                              ######
                                              Here is my .rtorrent.rc file

                                              # Default directory to download torrents to
                                              directory=/public/SharedVideo/New

                                              # Default session directory. Make sure you don't run multiple instance
                                              # of rtorrent using the same session directory. Perhaps using a
                                              # relative path?
                                              session=/public/torrent/session

                                              # Check hash for finished torrents. Might be usefull until the bug is
                                              # fixed that causes lack of diskspace not to be properly reported.
                                              check_hash=no

                                              # Watch a directory for new torrents, and stop them when they
                                              # are deleted.
                                              schedule=watch_directory,5,5,load_start=/public/torrent/*.torrent
                                              schedule=untied_directory,5,5,stop_untied=

                                              # Stop torrents when reaching upload ratio in percent,
                                              # when also reaching total upload in bytes, or when
                                              # reaching final upload ratio in percent.
                                              # example: stop at ratio 1.0 with at least 200 MB uploaded, or else
                                              ratio 2.0
                                              schedule = ratio,60,60,stop_on_ratio=200,200M,300

                                              # Close torrents when diskspace is low.
                                              schedule = low_diskspace,5,60,close_low_diskspace=100M

                                              # Port range to use for listening
                                              port_range=6960-6969

                                              # Chose a random port for listening
                                              port_random=yes

                                              # Global upload and download rate in KiB. "0" for unlimited.
                                              download_rate = 200
                                              upload_rate = 30

                                              # The ip address reported to the tracker.
                                              ip = Your.Hostname.net

                                              # Set whetever the client should try to connect to UDP trackers.
                                              #use_udp_trackers = yes

                                              # Alternative calls to bind and ip that should handle dynamic ip's.
                                              #schedule = ip_tick,0,1800,ip=rakshasa
                                              #schedule = bind_tick,0,1800,bind=rakshasa

                                              # Encryption options, set to none (default) or any combination of the
                                              following:
                                              # allow_incoming, try_outgoing, require, require_RC4, enable_retry,
                                              prefer_plaintext
                                              #
                                              # The example value allows incoming encrypted connections, starts
                                              unencrypted
                                              # outgoing connections but retries with encryption if they fail, preferring
                                              # plaintext to RC4 encryption after the encrypted handshake
                                              #
                                              #encryption_options = allow_incoming,enable_retry,prefer_plaintext

                                              #
                                              # Do not modify the following parameters unless you know what you're doing.
                                              #

                                              # Hash read-ahead controls how many MB to request the kernel to read
                                              # ahead. If the value is too low the disk may not be fully utilized,
                                              # while if too high the kernel might not be able to keep the read
                                              # pages in memory thus end up trashing.
                                              #hash_read_ahead = 10

                                              # Interval between attempts to check the hash, in milliseconds.
                                              #hash_interval = 100

                                              # Number of attempts to check the hash while using the mincore status,
                                              # before forcing. Overworked systems might need lower values to get a
                                              # decent hash checking rate.
                                              #hash_max_tries = 10

                                              # Max number of files to keep open simultaniously.
                                              #max_open_files = 128

                                              # Number of sockets to simultaneously keep open.
                                              #max_open_sockets = <no default>

                                              # Example of scheduling commands: Switch between two ip's every 5
                                              # seconds.
                                              #schedule = "ip_tick1,5,10,ip=torretta"
                                              #schedule = "ip_tick2,10,10,ip=lampedusa"

                                              # Remove a scheduled event.
                                              #schedule_remove = "ip_tick1"

                                              ######

                                              Zander

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                                                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Mark Zander <mark.zander@...> wrote:

                                                > I've been using rtorrent for about a year now on Openslug 2.7 and
                                                > Openslug3.10. I haven't experienced any problems.
                                                > It was straight forward to compile from source natively, as long as
                                                > you also compiled a few dependent libs and packages.

                                                Thanks Mark, I'm using unslung 6.8b. If I'd known rtorrent would give
                                                me this much trouble I'd have gone straight to openslug or debian.
                                                I've set up a build environment on the slug and am attempting to make
                                                updated .ipk files now. I'll post here if I get it working.
                                              • Sean Carolan
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 13, 2006
                                                  > Thanks Mark, I'm using unslung 6.8b. If I'd known rtorrent would give
                                                  > me this much trouble I'd have gone straight to openslug or debian.
                                                  > I've set up a build environment on the slug and am attempting to make
                                                  > updated .ipk files now. I'll post here if I get it working.

                                                  Ok, I gave this my very best shot but couldn't get it working, in
                                                  spite of compiling on three different machines, tweaking variables and
                                                  trying to get help on the IRC channel. If anyone wants to build and
                                                  test rtorrent 0.6.4 on the unslung 6.8 firmware, I'll be happy to pay
                                                  them for the final .ipk package which will also go into the feeds so
                                                  others can benefit. Any takers? Otherwise I'm going to just lay this
                                                  thing to rest and stick with enhanced-ctorrent + screen.
                                                • Sean Carolan
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 15, 2006
                                                    > Ok, I gave this my very best shot but couldn't get it working, in
                                                    > spite of compiling on three different machines, tweaking variables and
                                                    > trying to get help on the IRC channel. If anyone wants to build and
                                                    > test rtorrent 0.6.4 on the unslung 6.8 firmware, I'll be happy to pay
                                                    > them for the final .ipk package which will also go into the feeds so
                                                    > others can benefit. Any takers? Otherwise I'm going to just lay this
                                                    > thing to rest and stick with enhanced-ctorrent + screen.

                                                    Well after spending way too much time tinkering with unslung, I gave
                                                    in and installed DebianSlug. I've used Debian in the past, and
                                                    currently have Ubuntu installed on my laptop. It's nice to have
                                                    familiar apt-get with all the etch packages ready to go!

                                                    Once the installation was done I managed to get everything I wanted
                                                    set up in about 1/2 hour including ftpcopy, ddclient, nfs, samba, and
                                                    rtorrent. So if anyone's struggling along with broken packages on
                                                    Unslung - I highly recommend upgrading to Debian - once you get it set
                                                    up, it "just works".