Disk access every 5 seconds prevents spindown.

  • jinnan_tonnix
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 8, 2006
      Hi all,

      I'm having trouble getting my drive to spin down. It seems it's being
      accessed every 5 seconds by the journalling system.

      I've used Andreas's script and the 'noatime' script to remount var and
      dev in memory rather than disk, and to set the 'noatime' flag on the disk.

      Could someone check their system to see if they get the same result?
      Thanks. Please post back!

      'cat /proc/mounts' shows:
      # cat /proc/mounts
      rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
      /dev/root /initrd jffs2 rw 0 0
      /dev/sdb1 / ext3 rw,noatime 0 0
      /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
      usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
      /dev/sdb1 /dev.state ext3 rw,noatime 0 0
      ramfs /dev ramfs rw 0 0
      /dev/sdb1 /var.state ext3 rw,noatime 0 0
      ramfs /var ramfs rw 0 0
      /dev/sdb1 /share/hdd/data ext3 rw,noatime 0 0
      /dev/sdb2 /share/hdd/conf ext3 rw,noatime 0 0

      'Mount' shows
      # mount
      /dev/sdb1 on /initrd type jffs2 (rw)
      /dev/sdb1 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
      /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
      usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
      /dev/sdb1 on /dev.state type ext3 (rw,noatime)
      ramfs on /dev type ramfs (rw)
      /dev/sdb1 on /var.state type ext3 (rw,noatime)
      ramfs on /var type ramfs (rw)
      /dev/sdb1 on /share/hdd/data type ext3 (rw,noatime)
      /dev/sdb2 on /share/hdd/conf type ext3 (rw,noatime)
    • Carl Lowenstein
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 15, 2007
        On 11/15/07, Tomas Holmén <tomas.holmen@...> wrote:

        > I had the same problem, i solved it by unslung to a usb stick and
        > not the disk.
        >
        > rgrds Tomas
        >
        > On Nov 14, 2007 2:12 AM, tangbotu <tangbotu@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Could anyone PLEASE summarize the solution here? I'm struggling
        > > with this not-spinning-down problem. I have Unslung 6.8 unslung
        > > to a WD MyBook on port 2. This thread seems to suggest this
        > > problem is solvable but various processes are responsible for
        > > accessing the disk. What are these processes? How to clean them
        > > up neatly?

        Presumably the disk access is caused by the journaling ext3 file
        system, which refreshes its journal every 5 seconds by default. One
        possible solution would be to put the journal on another (flash)
        drive.

        You can do this with the -J option to tune2fs.

        carl

        --
        carl lowenstein
        marine physical lab, u.c. san diego