Re: Using Optware Python packages with Python 2.5

  • ptnemot
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2006
      Taking into account the fact that having seperate packages is
      easier, that it's also the way Debian does it and that it allows an
      easier dependency management (py24-<foo> is dependent on python24,
      py25-<foo> is dependent on python25) I would suggest to go this
      route. Having to build for both versions in one package is not
      really clean either so if there is no clean solution we might as
      well take the easy one...

      Kind regards,

      Peter.

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Zhou" <b88zhou@...>
      wrote:

      > Good question. I've been thinking about this for a while and don't
      > have a good answer.
      >
      > The problem is that during build time, we don't know whether
      python24
      > or python25 is going to be used. We know at the most which python
      is
      > currently the default.
      >
      > So for any py-<foo> package, we either build for both versions and
      > package it in a single py-<foo>, or have a separate py24-<foo> and
      > py25-<foo>. The latter is how debian does it.
      >
      > I don't know which way people prefer: fat py-<foo> or double the
      > number of python packages? From developer's point of view, double
      the
      > number of python packages is easier.
      >
      > -Brian
      >
      > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "ptnemot" <groups@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have recently started using Python 2.5 on my WL500g box
      instead of
      > > Python 2.4 (for reasons I won't detail out here). Now python
      itself
      > > works fine, the Optware packages for Python packages are however
      > > based on Python 2.4 and therefore will not correctly work with
      Python
      > > 2.5 (e.g. the path to site-packages is not correct). The
      packages I
      > > am using specifically are py-cheetah and py-cherrypy, but I
      assume
      > > the same is valid for other packages also.
      > >
      > > Now I still have gotten the packages to work by downloading the
      > > source and issuing "setup.py install" on my router itself,
      however I
      > > would prefer to install these packages through the standard
      Optware
      > > package feed. So my question is how could we get these packages
      > > work also with python 2.5 (while maintaining compatibility with
      v2.4)?

      > > One though would be to adjust the current .mk files to ensure
      the
      > > correct paths are used, but I'm not sure how in the .mk file we
      could
      > > decide whether to use the 2.4/2.5/... paths. Another option
      would be
      > > to have different ipkg packages for the different versions (e.g.
      py25-