ipkg update error

  • Craig Gates
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 6, 2006
      I am running unslung 6.8 on a nslu2 and when I run
      'ipkg update' I get the error you will find below. I
      found where someone referred to this same problem and
      that they fixed the DNS address in their router, which
      solved the problem for them. However, that solution
      didn't seem to work for me. In a shell on my computer
      I type 'ipconfig getpacket en1' and find 2 DNS
      addresses which I then use in the Administration ->
      LAN -> DNS server section of the unslung GUI. The
      result is a longer time required, but still 'host name
      lookup failure'. Same thing for ping
      www.nslu2-linux.org. Nada.

      I know this must be a basic problem, but it escapes me
      right now.
      -Craig

      ERROR below:

      # ipkg update
      Downloading
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/Packages.gz
      wget: ipkg.nslu2-linux.org: Host name lookup failure
      Downloading
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable/Packages.gz
      wget: ipkg.nslu2-linux.org: Host name lookup failure
      Downloading
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-beta/Packages.gz
      xsystem: ERROR: Child process died due to signal 2:
      `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-R8b51c
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-beta/Packages.gz'
      An error ocurred, return value: 3.
      Collected errors:
      ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value
      1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-R8b51c
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/Packages.gz'
      ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value
      1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-R8b51c http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable/Packages.gz'
    • Craig Gates
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 7, 2006
        I received some advise that my network settings in
        /etc/resolv.conf are incorrect. When I check this file
        I see the following:
        _________
        nameserver xx.xx.xx.xxx
        nameserver xx.xx.xx.xx
        _________
        (where the x's are my IP addresses). When I type the
        ipconfig command in the shell of my PC I see those
        same addresses in the line that says:
        _________
        domain_name_server (ip_mult): {xx.xx.xx.xxx,
        xx.xx.xx.xx}
        _________
        I figure these IP addresses must be the IP address of
        the DNS server (which are from my service provider).

        So /etc/resolv seems to be using the same IP addresses
        given by my ISP's DNS server, but I still get the
        'host name lookup failure' error I described below.

        Maybe the NSLU2 cannot use the DNS server from my ISP.
        Is there a work around?

        Thanks

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 7, 2006
          I solved the problem. In the NSLU2 gui, under
          administration -> LAN -> IP address, I had the fixed
          IP address for the slug, the network mask, but no
          value for the gateway address (router gateway). Once I
          put the router's gateway address (192.168.1.1 in this
          case) ping and ipkg update (and install) all worked.

          In case someone searches this in the future, you also
          need the DNS server address in the section below (DNS
          servers) in the NSLU2 gui.

        • Sam
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 10, 2006
            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Craig Gates <cgates30@...>
            wrote:

            > I am running unslung 6.8 on a nslu2 and when I run
            > 'ipkg update' I get the error you will find below. I
            > found where someone referred to this same problem and
            > that they fixed the DNS address in their router, which
            > solved the problem for them. However, that solution
            > didn't seem to work for me. In a shell on my computer
            > I type 'ipconfig getpacket en1' and find 2 DNS
            > addresses which I then use in the Administration ->
            > LAN -> DNS server section of the unslung GUI. The
            > result is a longer time required, but still 'host name
            > lookup failure'. Same thing for ping
            > www.nslu2-linux.org. Nada.
            >
            > I know this must be a basic problem, but it escapes me
            > right now.
            > -Craig
            >
            > ERROR below:
            >
            > # ipkg update
            > Downloading
            > http://ipkg.nslu2-
            linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/Packages.gz
            > wget: ipkg.nslu2-linux.org: Host name lookup failure
            > Downloading
            > http://ipkg.nslu2-
            linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable/Packages.gz
            > wget: ipkg.nslu2-linux.org: Host name lookup failure
            > Downloading
            > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-
            beta/Packages.gz
            > xsystem: ERROR: Child process died due to signal 2:
            > `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-R8b51c
            > http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/unslung/modules/cross/6.8-
            beta/Packages.gz'
            > An error ocurred, return value: 3.
            > Collected errors:
            > ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value
            > 1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-R8b51c
            > http://ipkg.nslu2-
            linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/Packages.gz'
            > ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value
            > 1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-R8b51c http://ipkg.nslu2-
            linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable/Packages.gz'

            Have you got the default gateway, and DNS Servers set on the slug
            web interface?

            If not, try that and try again

            Sam
          • linksysslug
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 30, 2012
              Each time I run the "ipkg update" command, it returns an error. Here's the relevant output:

              …
              Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable/Packages.gz
              wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
              …
              An error ocurred, return value: 1.
              Collected errors:
              ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /tmp/ipkg-d6oypW http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/native/stable/Packages.gz'
            • rolandkbs
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 1 8:42 AM

                Regards
                Roland

                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 14 5:59 AM
                  I hope you don't find me rude for asking, but what, in fact, is the difference between the current Cross-Feed package:
                  http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/
                  and the one I'm told to replace it with in message 8621:
                  http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/unslung/cross/stable/Packages.gz
                  ?

                  I've just run a diff on the two pages, and the only difference is that the current Cross-Feed package has the "9base_4…" ipk. That's it.

                  I guess what I'm trying to understand is, how am I fixing a problem with the Native-Feed by replacing the current Cross-Feed with a link to an apparently identical Cross-Feed at a different location? Seems to me, at the moment, that simply commenting out the Native-Feed entry would suffice. Yes/No?