authentication / file ownership problem

  • mwmccaw
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2004
      I have been happily using my NSLU2 until the registry on my desktop
      got corrupted last week.
      I had to rebuild the machine from the ground up, and now I'm locked
      out of all the files that were on the attached disks.

      I had set it up so that "everyone" had read only access, and two
      named users had RW access.

      I have RW access to the DRIVES (ie I can create and delete new
      files), but cannot change, delete, or write any new files to the
      existing folders!

      When I open the drive (in Windows XP pro) and check properties, they
      show as "read only", and I am unable to change that ("access
      denied").

      obviously the system is vesting ownership of those files to the
      computer that died; how can I change that? Is the only recourse to
      back all of those files up to a drive NOT on the NSLU2, then
      reformat the NSLU2 drives and copy them back? That is not a very
      warm and fuzzy option.

      Thanks in advance for any tips or help!
      Mike McCaw
    • Krusty The Clown
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 26, 2005
        I have this same problem, everything is access denied. I can read
        but I can't write or delete current or new files. I don't know what
        caused this. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me
        fix this problem.
      • odvdveer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 26, 2005
          Login with telnet or ssh.

          Edit your .profile and add the command umask 0
          This will set the correct permissions for new files, it will allow
          everyone to read and write them, if you want the permissions different
          google for more instructions on umask

          For the existing files you can:
          - cd to directory where they reside
          - give command chmod ugo+rw *

          Olga

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Krusty The Clown"
          <tempbart@e...> wrote:

          > I have this same problem, everything is access denied. I can read
          > but I can't write or delete current or new files. I don't know what
          > caused this. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me
          > fix this problem.
        • Krusty The Clown
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 30, 2005
            I tried the chmod ugo+rw * command for some of my existing files and
            I get a read-only file system error message. Where is the .profile
            located? What command do I use to edit it?

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "odvdveer" <odvdveer@h...>
            wrote:

            > Login with telnet or ssh.
            >
            > Edit your .profile and add the command umask 0
            > This will set the correct permissions for new files, it will allow
            > everyone to read and write them, if you want the permissions
            different
            > google for more instructions on umask
            >
            > For the existing files you can:
            > - cd to directory where they reside
            > - give command chmod ugo+rw *
            >
            > Olga
            >

            > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Krusty The Clown"
            > <tempbart@e...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have this same problem, everything is access denied. I can
            read
            > > but I can't write or delete current or new files. I don't know
            what
            > > caused this. I would really appreciate it if someone could help
            me
            > > fix this problem.
          • odvdveer
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 30, 2005
              You have to be logged in as owner of the file or root.

              The .profile should be in the directory you are in after you have
              logged in, you can also get there by just entering the command cd
              Type vi .profile, if you do not have a .profile file one will be made,
              otherwise you will be able to edit the existing file.
              Check manual voor vi or
              "http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Puppy/ViCrashCourse" for information
              on how to use vi

              <tempbart@e...> wrote:

              > I tried the chmod ugo+rw * command for some of my existing files and
              > I get a read-only file system error message. Where is the .profile
              > located? What command do I use to edit it?
              >
              > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "odvdveer" <odvdveer@h...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Login with telnet or ssh.
              > >
              > > Edit your .profile and add the command umask 0
              > > This will set the correct permissions for new files, it will allow
              > > everyone to read and write them, if you want the permissions
              > different
              > > google for more instructions on umask
              > >
              > > For the existing files you can:
              > > - cd to directory where they reside
              > > - give command chmod ugo+rw *
              > >
              > > Olga
              > >

              > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Krusty The Clown"
              > > <tempbart@e...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I have this same problem, everything is access denied. I can
              > read
              > > > but I can't write or delete current or new files. I don't know
              > what
              > > > caused this. I would really appreciate it if someone could help
              > me
              > > > fix this problem.
            • Krusty The Clown
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
                When I do the command "cd Type vi .profile" like you said it gives
                an error message "cd: can't cd to Type". What do I do now?

                wrote:

                > You have to be logged in as owner of the file or root.
                >
                > The .profile should be in the directory you are in after you have
                > logged in, you can also get there by just entering the command cd
                > Type vi .profile, if you do not have a .profile file one will be
                made,
                > otherwise you will be able to edit the existing file.
                > Check manual voor vi or
                > "http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Puppy/ViCrashCourse" for
                information
                > on how to use vi
                >
                > Olga
                >
                > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Krusty The Clown"
                > <tempbart@e...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I tried the chmod ugo+rw * command for some of my existing files
                and
                > > I get a read-only file system error message. Where is
                the .profile
                > > located? What command do I use to edit it?
                > >
                > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "odvdveer" <odvdveer@h...>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Login with telnet or ssh.
                > > >
                > > > Edit your .profile and add the command umask 0
                > > > This will set the correct permissions for new files, it will
                allow
                > > > everyone to read and write them, if you want the permissions
                > > different
                > > > google for more instructions on umask
                > > >
                > > > For the existing files you can:
                > > > - cd to directory where they reside
                > > > - give command chmod ugo+rw *
                > > >
                > > > Olga
                > > >

                > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Krusty The Clown"

                > > read
                > > what
                > > me
              • Tom Gross
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
                  Krusty, I'm sure Olga meant that you can

                  1. use the cd command (change directory command) to
                  get to the directory containing the .profile file.

                  2. edit the .profile file with the vi editor.

                  By the way, I am confused about the two NSLU2 Yahoo
                  groups - I would have expected this "general" group to
                  be for people who are using the device as sold by
                  Linksys, not for people using the unslung firmware.

                  Should I be posting my newbie questions about how to
                  set up the DNS and gateway to this group instead of
                  the linux group?

                  --- Krusty The Clown <tempbart@...> wrote:

                  > When I do the command "cd Type vi .profile" like you
                  > said it gives
                  > an error message "cd: can't cd to Type". What do I
                  > do now?
                  >

                  > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "odvdveer"
                  > <odvdveer@h...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > You have to be logged in as owner of the file or
                  > root.
                  > >
                  > > The .profile should be in the directory you are in
                  > after you have
                  > > logged in, you can also get there by just entering
                  > the command cd
                  > > Type vi .profile, if you do not have a .profile
                  > file one will be
                  > made,
                  > > otherwise you will be able to edit the existing
                  > file.
                  > > Check manual voor vi or

                  "http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Puppy/ViCrashCourse"
                  > for
                  > information
                  > > on how to use vi
                  > >
                  > > Olga
                  > >
                  > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Krusty The
                  > Clown"
                  > > <tempbart@e...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I tried the chmod ugo+rw * command for some of
                  > my existing files
                  > and
                  > > > I get a read-only file system error message.
                  > Where is
                  > the .profile
                  > > > located? What command do I use to edit it?
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "odvdveer"
                  > <odvdveer@h...>

                  > files, it will
                  > allow