When using chown -R process falls over on large directories

  • boardwize
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2006
      When I try and change ownership of a large number of directories and
      files, the process falls over after a few minutes with the
      error "Terminated". Any ideas?
      The command I'm using is

      chown -R admin:admin /public/home/*

      Cheers
    • boardwize
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 2006
        It seems the problem is I'm running out of memory - I've just noticed
        this in my logs:
        <43>Nov 18 12:08:21 klogd: Out of Memory: Killed process 1392 (chown).

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "boardwize" <boardwize@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        > When I try and change ownership of a large number of directories and
        > files, the process falls over after a few minutes with the
        > error "Terminated". Any ideas?
        > The command I'm using is
        >
        > chown -R admin:admin /public/home/*
        >
        > Cheers

      • Stanley P. Miller
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 18, 2006
          Do smaller groups until you get it to complete.

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "boardwize" <boardwize@...> wrote:

          > It seems the problem is I'm running out of memory - I've just noticed
          > this in my logs:
          > <43>Nov 18 12:08:21 klogd: Out of Memory: Killed process 1392 (chown).
          >

          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "boardwize" <boardwize@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > > When I try and change ownership of a large number of directories and
          > > files, the process falls over after a few minutes with the
          > > error "Terminated". Any ideas?
          > > The command I'm using is
          > >
          > > chown -R admin:admin /public/home/*
          > >
          > > Cheers

        • Kurt Pruenner
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 19, 2006
            boardwize wrote:
            > It seems the problem is I'm running out of memory - I've just noticed
            > this in my logs:
            > <43>Nov 18 12:08:21 klogd: Out of Memory: Killed process 1392 (chown).

            Do an

            echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
            echo 80 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ratio

            as root. That'll make the oom killer only kill processes if swap is full
            and more than 80% of non-swap memory would be used.

            By default, the oom killer will kill any process using more than
            overcommit_ratio percent of physical memory, which makes swap almost
            unusable - at least if you want processes to use more than what physical
            memory is available.

            (You might want to throw the above into an init-script to do it on every
            boot...)

            --
            Kurt Bernhard Pruenner --- Haendelstrasse 17 --- 4020 Linz --- Austria
            .......It might be written "Mindfuck", but it's spelt "L-A-I-N".......
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 20, 2006
              On my SluOS/BE I've added the following lines to /etc/sysctl.conf:

              # linux/Documentation/vm/overcommit-accounting
              # allow more that 50% of physical RAM in swap
              vm/overcommit_memory=1

              It did the trick :)

              Hope this helps,
              Ovidiu Sas