Re: the need for speed: samba vs nfs

  • Sean Carolan
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
      > Any suggestions on tuning NFS to get better throughput VS samba?

      Mike, Pete, Aaron, (and everyone else on the list) this is a great
      thread and I hope it continues to grow. I'm learning a lot about the
      "slug" from your expertise. Personally I think it's fantastic that we
      get a chance to experiment with embedded Linux on a device that's <
      $80 or so.

      I ordered an nslu2 from newegg.com the other day - can't wait until it
      arrives to begin tinkering. So far here are a few things I thought of
      trying to do with it:

      * Compile and install ftpcopy so I can backup my websites
      * Use for local backups (via NFS or SMB)
      * mp3/itunes server
      * Print server - anyone tried this? I have an HP laserjet 1300 that
      I want to share on the network, but would rather not spring for an HP
      Jetdirect print server.