the need for speed: samba vs nfs

  • Aaron Urbain
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
      am running debian on my slug:

      aurbain@nslu2:~$ uname -a
      Linux nslu2 2.6.16 #1 PREEMPT Fri Jun 9 07:34:31 PDT 2006 armv5teb unknown
      unknown GNU/Linux

      when copying a treasured file to the slug from my mac mini using both
      methods, I see samba is faster:

      First the NFS case:

      Ben:~ aurbain$ sudo mount_nfs -P -o rw,tcp,inter
      slug:/media/sdc1/home/aurbain fred

      Ben:~ aurbain$ time cp Desktop/South\ Park\ S10E10\ XviD-PrinzNL.avi fred

      real 0m43.562s
      user 0m0.003s
      sys 0m4.124s
      Ben:~ aurbain$ time cp Desktop/South\ Park\ S10E10\ XviD-PrinzNL.avi fred

      real 0m43.804s
      user 0m0.003s
      sys 0m4.133s

      then the samba case:

      Ben:~ aurbain$ time cp Desktop/South\ Park\ S10E10\
      XviD-PrinzNL.avi/Volumes/250G/

      real 0m36.400s
      user 0m0.002s
      sys 0m1.408s
      Ben:~ aurbain$ time cp Desktop/South\ Park\ S10E10\
      XviD-PrinzNL.avi/Volumes/250G/

      real 0m37.504s
      user 0m0.002s
      sys 0m1.409s
      Ben:~ aurbain$ time cp Desktop/South\ Park\ S10E10\
      XviD-PrinzNL.avi/Volumes/250G/

      real 0m37.275s
      user 0m0.002s
      sys 0m1.425s

      Any suggestions on tuning NFS to get better throughput VS samba?

    • Sean Carolan
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
        > Any suggestions on tuning NFS to get better throughput VS samba?

        Mike, Pete, Aaron, (and everyone else on the list) this is a great
        thread and I hope it continues to grow. I'm learning a lot about the
        "slug" from your expertise. Personally I think it's fantastic that we
        get a chance to experiment with embedded Linux on a device that's <
        $80 or so.

        I ordered an nslu2 from newegg.com the other day - can't wait until it
        arrives to begin tinkering. So far here are a few things I thought of
        trying to do with it:

        * Compile and install ftpcopy so I can backup my websites
        * Use for local backups (via NFS or SMB)
        * mp3/itunes server
        * Print server - anyone tried this? I have an HP laserjet 1300 that
        I want to share on the network, but would rather not spring for an HP
        Jetdirect print server.