Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Possible to install backuppc on nslu2?

  • Peter Chant
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
      On Wednesday 01 November 2006 18:22, Peter Chant wrote:

      > Rsync is painfully slow when connecting via ssh. Unfortunately I also have
      > to backup my system a bit at a time as otherwise rsync runs out of memory.

      Just to note, I've never quite got around to de-underclocking my slug.

      Pete
    • Sean Carolan
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
        > > Rsync is painfully slow when connecting via ssh. Unfortunately I
        also have
        > > to backup my system a bit at a time as otherwise rsync runs out of
        memory.

        Pete, you seem to have some experience with this - does the nslu2
        handle NFS well? I'm thinking I might just export my backup directory
        via NFS, that way the overhead on the nslu2 should be less. . .
      • Mike (mwester)
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
          Well, I'm not Pete - but since you emailed to a list, I'll respond anyway
          with my 2 cents worth. The NSLU2 is a fine NFS device, just not very fast.
          Avoid the user-space NFS server though - it's said to be slooooow.

          I use NFS on the NSLU2 as the torture test for the device, the I/O
          subsystem, and the network. If there's a problem with any of the
          components, NFS will expose it. A lot of folks blame NFS at first, but the
          problem is invariably a bad cable, bad router/switch/hub, a failing NIC, or
          misconfiguration of a device, and seldom NFS itself.

          Samba is good too, don't get me wrong -- but it's just so much slower and so
          much heavier-weight than NFS.

          Mike (mwester)

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
            On Thursday 02 November 2006 03:09, Sean Carolan wrote:

            > Pete, you seem to have some experience with this - does the nslu2
            > handle NFS well? I'm thinking I might just export my backup directory
            > via NFS, that way the overhead on the nslu2 should be less. . .

            I was the original author of:

            http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BackupYourLinuxBox

            which basically gave my experience of trying a simple back up. I've not
            really tried and large packages, I was trying to keep it simple. I don't
            think I tried rsync and nfs together, rather I set up an rsync server. There
            was problems with nfs and tar due to the 2G limit (which may be gone) but I
            suspect that is less or no issue with rsync + nfs. I did not try rsync +
            nfs. I suspect you would need to slit the backup into several chunks to
            avoid rsync running out or memory.

            Pete