Re: [nslu2-general] Possible to install backuppc on nslu2?

  • Rod Whitby
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2006
      Sean Carolan wrote:
      > Hi folks - I'm a newbie and planning to purchase an nslu2 unit soon
      > for my local network storage needs. I have used BackupPC in the past
      > and really like it's features. Has anyone successfully installed
      > backuppc on their slug? If so, were there any problems you ran into?
      > How does it perform?

      I use BackupPC at work, and was thinking about adding an Optware package
      for it so I could use it on my FSG-3. Such an optware package would
      probably work unmodified on the NSLU2 as well.

      If you install perl and apache, you should just be able to try it out
      (it's all just Perl scripts as far as I remember). If it works, then we
      can look at packaging it.

      -- Rod
    • Sean Carolan
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
        > If you install perl and apache, you should just be able to try it out
        > (it's all just Perl scripts as far as I remember). If it works, then we
        > can look at packaging it.
        >
        > -- Rod

        Hi Rod:

        I found one other user on the web who managed to install backuppc, but
        he claimed that it ran too slow:

        http://guillaume.filion.org/blog/archives/2005/12/cpanpm_on_opens.php

        BackupPC can be somewhat memory hungry. The extra overhead seems to
        come from running perl, openssh, and possibly bzip2 all at the same
        time. I can see how it might overwhelm the nslu2's capabilities. I'm
        not sure at this point whether I am going to install OpenSlug or just
        Unslung, still trying to look at all the options.

        Also, I was curious how hard is it to compile something like ftpcopy
        with Unslung?

        http://www.ohse.de/uwe/ftpcopy/install.html

        This is definitely a package I would like to see in the repository,
        and would be willing to test it and help set it up. I have a few
        websites that I use ftpcopy to backup, so it would be a useful tool
        for me.

        thanks

        Sean
      • Peter Chant
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
          On Wednesday 01 November 2006 16:29, Sean Carolan wrote:

          > BackupPC can be somewhat memory hungry. The extra overhead seems to
          > come from running perl, openssh, and possibly bzip2 all at the same
          > time. I can see how it might overwhelm the nslu2's capabilities. I'm
          > not sure at this point whether I am going to install OpenSlug or just
          > Unslung, still trying to look at all the options.

          Rsync is painfully slow when connecting via ssh. Unfortunately I also have to
          backup my system a bit at a time as otherwise rsync runs out of memory.

          Pete
        • Peter Chant
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
            On Wednesday 01 November 2006 18:22, Peter Chant wrote:

            > Rsync is painfully slow when connecting via ssh. Unfortunately I also have
            > to backup my system a bit at a time as otherwise rsync runs out of memory.

            Just to note, I've never quite got around to de-underclocking my slug.

            Pete
          • Sean Carolan
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
              > > Rsync is painfully slow when connecting via ssh. Unfortunately I
              also have
              > > to backup my system a bit at a time as otherwise rsync runs out of
              memory.

              Pete, you seem to have some experience with this - does the nslu2
              handle NFS well? I'm thinking I might just export my backup directory
              via NFS, that way the overhead on the nslu2 should be less. . .
            • Mike (mwester)
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
                Well, I'm not Pete - but since you emailed to a list, I'll respond anyway
                with my 2 cents worth. The NSLU2 is a fine NFS device, just not very fast.
                Avoid the user-space NFS server though - it's said to be slooooow.

                I use NFS on the NSLU2 as the torture test for the device, the I/O
                subsystem, and the network. If there's a problem with any of the
                components, NFS will expose it. A lot of folks blame NFS at first, but the
                problem is invariably a bad cable, bad router/switch/hub, a failing NIC, or
                misconfiguration of a device, and seldom NFS itself.

                Samba is good too, don't get me wrong -- but it's just so much slower and so
                much heavier-weight than NFS.

                Mike (mwester)

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
                  On Thursday 02 November 2006 03:09, Sean Carolan wrote:

                  > Pete, you seem to have some experience with this - does the nslu2
                  > handle NFS well? I'm thinking I might just export my backup directory
                  > via NFS, that way the overhead on the nslu2 should be less. . .

                  I was the original author of:

                  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BackupYourLinuxBox

                  which basically gave my experience of trying a simple back up. I've not
                  really tried and large packages, I was trying to keep it simple. I don't
                  think I tried rsync and nfs together, rather I set up an rsync server. There
                  was problems with nfs and tar due to the 2G limit (which may be gone) but I
                  suspect that is less or no issue with rsync + nfs. I did not try rsync +
                  nfs. I suspect you would need to slit the backup into several chunks to
                  avoid rsync running out or memory.

                  Pete