Possible to install backuppc on nslu2?

  • Sean Carolan
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2006
      Hi folks - I'm a newbie and planning to purchase an nslu2 unit soon
      for my local network storage needs. I have used BackupPC in the past
      and really like it's features. Has anyone successfully installed
      backuppc on their slug? If so, were there any problems you ran into?
      How does it perform?

      Any input is greatly appreciated.

      Thanks

      Sean
    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 31, 2006
        Sean Carolan wrote:
        > Hi folks - I'm a newbie and planning to purchase an nslu2 unit soon
        > for my local network storage needs. I have used BackupPC in the past
        > and really like it's features. Has anyone successfully installed
        > backuppc on their slug? If so, were there any problems you ran into?
        > How does it perform?

        I use BackupPC at work, and was thinking about adding an Optware package
        for it so I could use it on my FSG-3. Such an optware package would
        probably work unmodified on the NSLU2 as well.

        If you install perl and apache, you should just be able to try it out
        (it's all just Perl scripts as far as I remember). If it works, then we
        can look at packaging it.

        -- Rod
      • Sean Carolan
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
          > If you install perl and apache, you should just be able to try it out
          > (it's all just Perl scripts as far as I remember). If it works, then we
          > can look at packaging it.
          >
          > -- Rod

          Hi Rod:

          I found one other user on the web who managed to install backuppc, but
          he claimed that it ran too slow:

          http://guillaume.filion.org/blog/archives/2005/12/cpanpm_on_opens.php

          BackupPC can be somewhat memory hungry. The extra overhead seems to
          come from running perl, openssh, and possibly bzip2 all at the same
          time. I can see how it might overwhelm the nslu2's capabilities. I'm
          not sure at this point whether I am going to install OpenSlug or just
          Unslung, still trying to look at all the options.

          Also, I was curious how hard is it to compile something like ftpcopy
          with Unslung?

          http://www.ohse.de/uwe/ftpcopy/install.html

          This is definitely a package I would like to see in the repository,
          and would be willing to test it and help set it up. I have a few
          websites that I use ftpcopy to backup, so it would be a useful tool
          for me.

          thanks

          Sean
        • Peter Chant
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
            On Wednesday 01 November 2006 16:29, Sean Carolan wrote:

            > BackupPC can be somewhat memory hungry. The extra overhead seems to
            > come from running perl, openssh, and possibly bzip2 all at the same
            > time. I can see how it might overwhelm the nslu2's capabilities. I'm
            > not sure at this point whether I am going to install OpenSlug or just
            > Unslung, still trying to look at all the options.

            Rsync is painfully slow when connecting via ssh. Unfortunately I also have to
            backup my system a bit at a time as otherwise rsync runs out of memory.

            Pete
          • Peter Chant
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
              On Wednesday 01 November 2006 18:22, Peter Chant wrote:

              > Rsync is painfully slow when connecting via ssh. Unfortunately I also have
              > to backup my system a bit at a time as otherwise rsync runs out of memory.

              Just to note, I've never quite got around to de-underclocking my slug.

              Pete
            • Sean Carolan
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
                > > Rsync is painfully slow when connecting via ssh. Unfortunately I
                also have
                > > to backup my system a bit at a time as otherwise rsync runs out of
                memory.

                Pete, you seem to have some experience with this - does the nslu2
                handle NFS well? I'm thinking I might just export my backup directory
                via NFS, that way the overhead on the nslu2 should be less. . .
              • Mike (mwester)
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 2006
                  Well, I'm not Pete - but since you emailed to a list, I'll respond anyway
                  with my 2 cents worth. The NSLU2 is a fine NFS device, just not very fast.
                  Avoid the user-space NFS server though - it's said to be slooooow.

                  I use NFS on the NSLU2 as the torture test for the device, the I/O
                  subsystem, and the network. If there's a problem with any of the
                  components, NFS will expose it. A lot of folks blame NFS at first, but the
                  problem is invariably a bad cable, bad router/switch/hub, a failing NIC, or
                  misconfiguration of a device, and seldom NFS itself.

                  Samba is good too, don't get me wrong -- but it's just so much slower and so
                  much heavier-weight than NFS.

                  Mike (mwester)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
                    On Thursday 02 November 2006 03:09, Sean Carolan wrote:

                    > Pete, you seem to have some experience with this - does the nslu2
                    > handle NFS well? I'm thinking I might just export my backup directory
                    > via NFS, that way the overhead on the nslu2 should be less. . .

                    I was the original author of:

                    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/BackupYourLinuxBox

                    which basically gave my experience of trying a simple back up. I've not
                    really tried and large packages, I was trying to keep it simple. I don't
                    think I tried rsync and nfs together, rather I set up an rsync server. There
                    was problems with nfs and tar due to the 2G limit (which may be gone) but I
                    suspect that is less or no issue with rsync + nfs. I did not try rsync +
                    nfs. I suspect you would need to slit the backup into several chunks to
                    avoid rsync running out or memory.

                    Pete