Newb needs help with root password

  • zxczxcasdasdzxczxcasdasd
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 27, 2006
      I have a NSLU2 with unslung firmware, however I cannot log on as root!
      I have the passwd file from my USB drive I plugged in the NSLU2 on
      boot up, but I cannot edit it (ie: replace root password with password
      of another admin user, which I know) because I can't find a driver to
      write to ext2/3 for winXP or MacOSX (10.4.6) ... can anyone offer a
      suggestion? This is really frustrating!!

      Thank you.
    • Sam
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 28, 2006
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zxczxcasdasdzxczxcasdasd"
        <zxczxcasdasdzxczxcasdasd@...> wrote:

        > I have a NSLU2 with unslung firmware, however I cannot log on as
        root!
        > I have the passwd file from my USB drive I plugged in the NSLU2 on
        > boot up, but I cannot edit it (ie: replace root password with
        password
        > of another admin user, which I know) because I can't find a driver to
        > write to ext2/3 for winXP or MacOSX (10.4.6) ... can anyone offer a
        > suggestion? This is really frustrating!!
        >
        > Thank you.

        The default root password is uNSLUng

        But most people change this during the setup/unslinging of the slug

        Is yours unslung?

        Sam
      • zxczxcasdasdzxczxcasdasd
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 28, 2006
          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Sam" <sam@...> wrote:

          > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "zxczxcasdasdzxczxcasdasd"
          > <zxczxcasdasdzxczxcasdasd@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a NSLU2 with unslung firmware, however I cannot log on as
          > root!
          > > I have the passwd file from my USB drive I plugged in the NSLU2 on
          > > boot up, but I cannot edit it (ie: replace root password with
          > password
          > > of another admin user, which I know) because I can't find a driver to
          > > write to ext2/3 for winXP or MacOSX (10.4.6) ... can anyone offer a
          > > suggestion? This is really frustrating!!
          > >
          > > Thank you.
          > >

          > The default root password is uNSLUng
          >
          > But most people change this during the setup/unslinging of the slug
          >
          > Is yours unslung?
          >
          > Sam

          Sam,

          Thank you for the reply.

          I am not sure if my NSLU2 is unslung ... it has the unslung firmware on it, does that qualify
          it as being unslung? I have tried the default password and it does not work.

          I was thinking to edit the passwd file on the USB drive and replace the root password with
          the admin password (which is the default 'admin') but I cannot get access to edit ext2
          partitions on WinXP or Mac OS X (my OS X is 10.4.6 and is not supported by the ext2fs
          project on sourceforge). Would that possibly give me accesss or am I dreaming something
          up?

          If I were to reflash the firmware on the NSLU2, would this reset passwords? or is there any
          other way around this?

          -DoggyZhang
        • Mike (mwester)
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 29, 2006
            I'm fairly sure that this is all in the wiki and in the README that comes
            with the firmware.

            Yes, if you have flashed the Unslung firmware, you are running the Unslung
            firmware. You may not have "unslung the device" yet, meaning that you have
            not run the "unsling" utility to switch your device so that it boots from
            the disk instead of from the internal flash. Until you do so, you can't
            really use many of the features of the Unslung firmware, but you *are*
            running it none-the-less.

            As the wiki states, the root password for the Unslung firmware is initially
            set to "uNSLUng" (case-sensitive). Key to understanding how the Linksys
            firmware (and thus, how Unslung) works is to understand that when you plug
            in an external, natively-formatted device, the Linksys firmware switches
            over to use the password, groups, and other config files from that external
            disk. We do *NOT* know what the root password is on that external disk.

            So, the root password in the Unslung firmware is only useful when the device
            is booted and is running with no disks attached. Attach a disk, and the
            passwords change. The README describes the recommended installation process
            that takes this into account, and if you follow that process, you'll have no
            troubles. In a nutshell, boot the NSLU2 without any disks, enable telnet,
            telnet in with the "uNSLUng" password, attach the disk, and then you can
            change the password. When you change the password, you'll have to follow
            the correct steps to do so in the correct places, as the Linksys firmware
            keeps several copies of same. This is why the "unsling" utility will change
            the password for you -- it was a frequent problem when done manually.

            So, now it's my turn for a question: What is it that you are trying to do
            with your device, and can you outline how the README can be adjusted or
            rewritten to avoid the confusion that you've encountered?

            Thanks,
            Mike (mwester)

            > I am not sure if my NSLU2 is unslung ... it has the unslung firmware on
            it, does that qualify
            > it as being unslung? I have tried the default password and it does not
            work.

            > I was thinking to edit the passwd file on the USB drive and replace the
            root password with
            > the admin password (which is the default 'admin') but I cannot get access
            to edit ext2
            > partitions on WinXP or Mac OS X (my OS X is 10.4.6 and is not supported by
            the ext2fs
            > project on sourceforge). Would that possibly give me accesss or am I
            dreaming something
            > up?
            >
            > If I were to reflash the firmware on the NSLU2, would this reset
            passwords? or is there any
            > other way around this?
            >
            > -DoggyZhang
          • Marcelino
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 29, 2006
              > > > of another admin user, which I know) because I can't find a
              driver to
              > > > write to ext2/3 for winXP or MacOSX (10.4.6) ... can anyone offer a
              > > > suggestion? This is really frustrating!!

              Free ext2/3 driver for Windows2000/XP can be found here...
              http://www.fs-driver.org/

              Marcelino
            • zxczxcasdasdzxczxcasdasd
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 30, 2006
                Hi Mike,

                You are right, the README file describes the process quite well. I did
                try to follow along, but I was not sure 100% whether unslinging was
                the simple install of firmware, or actually moving the operating files
                onto a USB drive (maybe it's just my English that needs improving).
                That being said, I do not believe the unit has been unslung yet since
                it functions without a USB drive.

                Perhaps what is causing all the problems is the fact that I have
                bought this unit second hand. The NSLU2 has the newest unslung FW
                (firmware) but I cannot log in to telnet using the uNSLUng password.
                The person who sold it to me says he can't help me because he doesn't
                remember any specifics of operations, since he hasn't used it for
                quite a while (that's why I thought I'd post here)... but apparently
                it was a fresh FW flash to the unit.

                I read some method where the user reset the password by changing the
                field in the passwd file with an encrypted password from a known user,
                but it seems this may not work if the NSLU2 changes this on every boot.

                I will look through the README again today and see if I can figure
                things out, I can make some suggestion if I really don't understand
                something. Meantime, how would you suggest to obtain the root
                password, simply to reflash the firmware?

                Thank you.

                -DZ

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Mike \(mwester\)" <mwester@...>

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 30, 2006
                  Thank you Marcelino, I did try this driver. Somehow, the format must
                  have gotten corrupted after I edited it on WinXP as the NSLU2 was not
                  detecting a formatted drive. Perhaps it is my computer and I should
                  try again.

                  -DZ

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Marcelino" <marcelino.mata@...>
                  wrote:

                  > driver to
                  >

                  > Free ext2/3 driver for Windows2000/XP can be found here...
                  > http://www.fs-driver.org/
                  >
                  > Marcelino

                • stuart smith
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 31, 2006
                    you sound like you are still not really sure what firmware you are running. when you connect to the slug with a browser, do you see the penguin and the slug in the left hand top of the page and does it report a firmware version number with unslung in the middle of it.

                    Stuart

                    wrote:

                    > I'm fairly sure that this is all in the wiki and in the README that
                    comes
                    > with the firmware.
                    >
                    > Yes, if you have flashed the Unslung firmware, you are running the
                    Unslung
                    > firmware. You may not have "unslung the device" yet, meaning that
                    you have
                    > not run the "unsling" utility to switch your device so that it boots
                    from
                    > the disk instead of from the internal flash. Until you do so, you can't
                    > really use many of the features of the Unslung firmware, but you *are*
                    > running it none-the-less.
                    >
                    > As the wiki states, the root password for the Unslung firmware is
                    initially
                    > set to "uNSLUng" (case-sensitive). Key to understanding how the Linksys
                    > firmware (and thus, how Unslung) works is to understand that when
                    you plug
                    > in an external, natively-formatted device, the Linksys firmware switches
                    > over to use the password, groups, and other config files from that
                    external
                    > disk. We do *NOT* know what the root password is on that external disk.
                    >
                    > So, the root password in the Unslung firmware is only useful when
                    the device
                    > is booted and is running with no disks attached. Attach a disk, and the
                    > passwords change. The README describes the recommended installation
                    process
                    > that takes this into account, and if you follow that process, you'll
                    have no
                    > troubles. In a nutshell, boot the NSLU2 without any disks, enable
                    telnet,
                    > telnet in with the "uNSLUng" password, attach the disk, and then you can
                    > change the password. When you change the password, you'll have to
                    follow
                    > the correct steps to do so in the correct places, as the Linksys
                    firmware
                    > keeps several copies of same. This is why the "unsling" utility
                    will change
                    > the password for you -- it was a frequent problem when done manually.
                    >
                    > So, now it's my turn for a question: What is it that you are trying
                    to do
                    > with your device, and can you outline how the README can be adjusted or
                    > rewritten to avoid the confusion that you've encountered?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Mike (mwester)

                  • Mike (mwester)
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 31, 2006
                      > Perhaps what is causing all the problems is the fact that I have
                      > bought this unit second hand. The NSLU2 has the newest unslung FW
                      > (firmware) but I cannot log in to telnet using the uNSLUng password.

                      Ah! The picture becomes clearer now...

                      Yes, you should reflash the firmware. No doubt about it.

                      As a general rule, *always* reflash the firmware on any used device. As a
                      matter of course, I even reflash the firmware on critical devices (such as
                      my Linksys firewall/router) that I've purchased new. It's simply a matter
                      of practicing safe computing - *never* trust a pre-loaded or pre-installed
                      device or computer.

                      Mike (mwester)
                    • zxczxcasdasdzxczxcasdasd
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 3, 2006
                        Well, I had posted earlier today but I don't see the post anywhere so
                        let's try again.

                        I got the NSLU2 working by flashing it with fresh firmware. Everything
                        was going good; RedBoot was working, telnet was working (password got
                        reset), and after following all the instructions thus far, I was ready
                        to unsling to my USB drive. The command didn't work as stated, but I
                        typed "unsling disk2" and it worked. After waiting a couple minutes,
                        the telnet window said the process was finished, so I rebooted. Too
                        bad, it wasn't working anymore. The amber status light was on for
                        about 15 sec, during which the ethernet was solid about 2 sec later
                        for 2 sec, then off for about 2 sec, then all lights flashed green and
                        only the ethernet and disk2 lights were on, although the ethernet
                        light flickered every 2 sec. Not sure what to do, I tried a hard reset
                        (unplug the power) but the same occured. There was no beep, even 5 or
                        10 minutes later. No access to the NSLU2 through browser or telnet at
                        this point.

                        Now I booted the NSLU2 without the USB drive and it worked fine.
                        Status on main page was "running from internal flash". Now it seems as
                        though the problem is that my usb flash drive (1gb) was not formatted.
                        Well, I had clicked format and everything seemed OK in disk status,
                        but clicking the Log, you could see that it said "format failed" ...
                        why?? I tried 3 more times to format, even formating into FAT32 first
                        but nothing helped. Now I can't get the NSLU2 to format the USB drive.

                        I normally have a lot of patience but I'm a little frustrated here.
                        Mike et al, your help is very much appreciated, I followed the manual
                        exactly but maybe I'm missing some small detail. Thank you for your time.

                        -Doggy
                      • Mike (mwester)
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 5, 2006
                          > I got the NSLU2 working by flashing it with fresh firmware. Everything
                          > was going good; RedBoot was working, telnet was working (password got
                          > reset), and after following all the instructions thus far, I was ready
                          > to unsling to my USB drive. The command didn't work as stated,

                          Ok, hold on just a moment here - this might be the problem! What didn't
                          work as stated? You need to be more specific here, because this is a very
                          critical operation, and if it did not work as expected, you'll have trouble.

                          > but I
                          > typed "unsling disk2" and it worked.

                          Well, ok, but above you said it didn't work... I am confused now...

                          > After waiting a couple minutes,
                          > the telnet window said the process was finished, so I rebooted. Too
                          > bad, it wasn't working anymore....

                          Ok - first step is to unplug the drives and boot up from the internal flash
                          (this is the "recovery mode" for the NSLU2)...

                          > Now I booted the NSLU2 without the USB drive and it worked fine.
                          > Status on main page was "running from internal flash".

                          Yep, this is as expected. This indicates that there is a problem is with
                          the device to which you unslung -- perhaps the device is not functional, or
                          perhaps the unsling operation did not work correctly (which you imply may be
                          the case, above).

                          > Now it seems as
                          > though the problem is that my usb flash drive (1gb) was not formatted.

                          How did you determine this - what utility did you use to check? I'm
                          guessing the Linksys Web GUI, which has that unfortunate message displayed
                          for any number of problems, only one of which is that the device is truely
                          unformatted...

                          > Well, I had clicked format and everything seemed OK in disk status,
                          > but clicking the Log, you could see that it said "format failed" ...
                          > why?? I tried 3 more times to format, even formating into FAT32 first
                          > but nothing helped. Now I can't get the NSLU2 to format the USB drive.

                          Well, this will give you problems; the unsling command would not have worked
                          if the device was not formatted correctly, though. I'm now really wondering
                          what the output from the original "unsling" command might have been.

                          How did you format it back to FAT32? Did you check the size of the device
                          when you formatted it to FAT32? It's possible that the device is formatted,
                          but formatting it "back" doesn't actually do that -- it may just be writing
                          a FAT32 format to the first partition on the device.

                          BTW, a note here for other readers - your flash is a 1 GB unit; that's fine.
                          It needs to be at least 512MB for Unslung 6.8-beta (you could actually get
                          away with a 256MB device for Unslung 5.5-beta, but later tests have shown
                          that the new partition sizes used by the R63 Linksys firmware make 256MB
                          just too small to be usable, if they format at all on Unslung 6.8-beta.

                          > I normally have a lot of patience but I'm a little frustrated here.
                          > Mike et al, your help is very much appreciated, I followed the manual
                          > exactly but maybe I'm missing some small detail. Thank you for your time.

                          Yep, I think you're missing a small detail - we just need to find where it
                          is. A key item is to not proceed if there is anything unexpected or not
                          right; the unslinging process is very picky. I'd like to say that it could
                          be otherwise (And I welcome any folks who can come up with improved
                          techniques -- working and coded techniques -- for improving this). But the
                          sad fact is that unslinging is all about "fooling" the Linksys firmware, and
                          dodging around the rules and restrictions that firmware has placed on us.
                          So I understand your frustration that it doesn't work better. But as the
                          saying goes, the wonder is not in how well the bear dances, but that it
                          dances at all.

                          Let's focus on that memory device. It needs to be returned to a full 1 GB
                          FAT32 device on a single partition before you proceed. That can be
                          challenge on some Windows boxes, you may need a special tool to do the
                          repartitioning and formatting - for example, I've used the "HP USB Disk
                          Storage Format Tool" to do the job on one occasion. Once that's done,
                          proceed.

                          Boot the NSLU2 without any devices plugged in. Enable telnet and log in.
                          type "ls -la /" and see if a file named ".sda1root" or ".sdb1root" is
                          listed. If so, note this fact (its presence indicates that the slug thought
                          that it actually *did* unsling successfully at one point), and then delete
                          the file: "rm /.sda1root" and reboot. Repeat this step and ensure that
                          this time around, the NSLU2 has booted without this flag file present, and
                          then proceed.

                          Execute the "mount" command, and record the output. That's your normal
                          starting state in terms of what the OS has for filesystems.

                          Go to the Web Disk admin page, and observe that there are no disk devices at
                          all. Plug in the flash device. Observe that after a moment, the admin page
                          identifies it as FAT32. Use the mount command again, and note that the
                          flash device appears in the list as something like "HD_1_1_1" or such.

                          On the admin web page, format the device.

                          On the telnet session, execute the mount command again, every 10 or 15
                          seconds. You should see the "HD_1_1_1" entry go away. After some time, you
                          should observe other stuff happening: you may see filesystems mounted on
                          /mnt/tmpmnt appear and then disappear. However, at some point, the web gui
                          will say that the format is complete, and at that point you will note that
                          two extra mounts will be present in the output: /share/flash/conf and
                          /share/flash/data (or "flash" may be replaced by "hdd", depending on which
                          USB port you are plugged into -- you did read the section in the wiki on
                          selected the correct port to use for your purpose, right?).

                          Assuming the two mounts are present, and the admin page says the format is
                          complete, execute the "unsling disk2" command. Copy the output from your
                          terminal emulator window, and save it for later reference. Then leave the
                          memory stick plugged in, and reboot - it should boot into Unslung. If not,
                          let us know -- this time armed with more precise information on the session,
                          its more likely that someone will have a concrete suggestion or solution.

                          What if the format failed, then? Well, it failed for a reason. Record the
                          output from the mount command. Record the output from the end of the logs:
                          "dmesg | tail -50" and "tail -50 /var/log/messages" are two commands that
                          may be helpful for debugging. Let us know, and someone will probably have
                          some advice or observations.

                          Also, this list is a great way to get general questions answered, but it's
                          not a great interactive debugging or assistance forum. That's handled on
                          the IRC channels - drop in on the #nslu2-general channel, post your
                          question, and be patient - someone will be along, and may be able to provide
                          some assistance.

                          Mike (mwester)