Re: File attributes -- removing system attributes

  • Airw0lf
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2006
      "sae724d" <spassat@...> wrote in
      news:e6k7d4+t7g@...:

      > I am using the NSLU2 as a music server. The files seem to have a
      > 'system' attribute which is read on windows computers; is this an
      > 'extended attribute' from the EXT3 filesystem? How can I change it,
      > it is not listed or changeable through the normal chmod command?
      >
      > [Using the 'attrib' command in MS-DOS over the LAN is ineffective,
      > since acces to the files was denied]

      Make sure that the owner of the file is the same as the user accessing the
      share in Windows and that the group that the file belongs to is "everyone"
      (Or if you have created a custom group of your own, use the name of that.)

      You can use chown to change user ownership, and chgrp to change group.

      Strangely, I don't remember this problem when using Unslung 5.5. I have
      only had this issue since upgrading to 6.8.