Does anybody use the Dallas 1 wire with the unslung 6.8

  • Rob Conway
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 20, 2006
      I am interested in anybody who maybe using the owfs package that enables the slug to interface to the dallas 1 wire devices. I have a number of the dallas A/D chips and some temperature chips on the network which is only 40 metres and want to compare performance.

      cheers

      rob

    • mquer1970
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 21, 2006
        Dear Rob,

        I'm very interested in it too. Please post
        success/failures to this list or CC to me.

        Thanks,
        Marc

        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Conway" <rjconway@...> wrote:

        > I am interested in anybody who maybe using the owfs package that
        enables the slug to interface to the dallas 1 wire devices. I have a
        number of the dallas A/D chips and some temperature chips on the
        network which is only 40 metres and want to compare performance.

        > cheers
        >
        > rob
      • zigmundrat
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 21, 2006
          I've got owfs set up and running under Unslung 6.8 beta. I'm afraid I didn't take a lot of
          notes when getting it to run. As I recall there wasn't a lot of problems getting owserver,
          owhttpd, or owftpd to run. owfs was another matter. The problem was that to get owfs to
          run, I had to provide an undocumented command line parameter '--mountpoint'. So the
          full command line would be something like:

          /opt/bin/owfs -P /opt/var/run/owfs.pid -s 3002--mountpoint /tmp/1wire

          This was accomodated by changing the /opt/etc/owfs configuration file to contain:

          OPTIONS="-s 3002 --mountpoint "
          MOUNTDIR="/tmp/1wire"

          Note the space *after* the option --mountpoint in the OPTIONS variable.

          The thing is, those variables are used in the /opt/etc/init.d/S80owfs script, but the
          mountpoint keyword was absent. Took a little bit to figure it out.

          As for related ipkgs that are installed, I have:

          libfuse - 2.6.0-pre2-3 - Fuse
          kmod-fuse - 2.6.0-pre2-3 - Fuse
          fuse-utils - 2.6.0-pre2-3 - Fuse
          owfs - 2.5p0-1 - 1-Wire filesystem (http://owfs.sf.net)
          owlib - 2.5p0-1 - 1-wire library

          That's as much as I can recall at the moment, hope it helps.

          Paul

          --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Conway" <rjconway@...> wrote:

          > I am interested in anybody who maybe using the owfs package that enables the slug to
          interface to the dallas 1 wire devices. I have a number of the dallas A/D chips and some
          temperature chips on the network which is only 40 metres and want to compare
          performance.

          > cheers
          >
          > rob

        • Rob Conway
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 21, 2006
            Thanks Rob Paul,

            I have had it running for about 3 months, installed it twice now due to hard disk failure however did not have to change anything. Just rebooted and it worked, although have the 1wire plugged into Disk 1 and use the 1wire "blue" dongle interface..

            I have a simple script to get 10 parameters from 4 1wire devices which are cabled with CAT5 about 40 metres in length. (Next time I would use shielded cable) Do you use the 4 channel a/d converter as I have found these channels to be little bit noisy. I don;t know if its the SLUGs USB 5VDC I am using to power the network as if the HD writes I assume it may very slightly effect the voltage. I use the 0- 5VDC channels, noise seems to be +/- 50 mv. If I do software filtering that would mean my script having to continually run (to store the last datapoint) and do the averages before storing into the trending package. At the moment cron just starts the collection script every 2 minutes. I have found this to be very reliable

            I also had some appreciated help from the forum on how to use awk to get the raw data and do some calculations before storing the corrected values which now allows me to simply have data in engineering units and not just voltage as in the case of A/d channels

            You will also see on the attached a spike on one of the temperature inputs, I had a 24VDC motor and I think when it started it caused this so I have now driven a dedicated earth stake into the ground and three .01uf caps across the terminals down to ground and some ferrite cores hope this fixes it.

            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/rjconway/1wire.jpg

            Next steps:
            I must have spent +40 hours to date to get to this point and was looking to accelerate the next steps by hoping someone has already done some of the following:

            TRENDS: At the moment my trending package just generates via crontab the trend images every 15 minutes(2 day), 1 hour(1 week) and 1 day (month graph) however will try and install php-thttpd so I can then start to be able to create trends on the fly by user input in selecting dates and times. I use rrdtool

            CONTROL: I have finally cracked how to start a script file on the slug from the web page so I can use the spare A/D channels to switch some outputs. (the A/D chips have dual functionality)

            EMAIL : I have already tried the smtpclient to send emails which works great. Just have to modify my collection scripts to monitor high / low levels so I can send alarms

            SLUG + 1wire + owfs + rrdtool + thttp + smtpclient + NTP = 1 rock'n little SLUG for data collection

            cheers rob

            I've got owfs set up and running under Unslung 6.8 beta. I'm afraid I didn't take a lot of
            notes when getting it to run. As I recall there wasn't a lot of problems getting owserver,
            owhttpd, or owftpd to run. owfs was another matter. The problem was that to get owfs to
            run, I had to provide an undocumented command line parameter '--mountpoint'. So the
            full command line would be something like:

            /opt/bin/owfs -P /opt/var/run/owfs.pid -s 3002--mountpoint /tmp/1wire

            This was accomodated by changing the /opt/etc/owfs configuration file to contain:

            OPTIONS="-s 3002 --mountpoint "
            MOUNTDIR="/tmp/1wire"

            Note the space *after* the option --mountpoint in the OPTIONS variable.

            The thing is, those variables are used in the /opt/etc/init.d/S80owfs script, but the
            mountpoint keyword was absent. Took a little bit to figure it out.

            As for related ipkgs that are installed, I have:

            libfuse - 2.6.0-pre2-3 - Fuse
            kmod-fuse - 2.6.0-pre2-3 - Fuse
            fuse-utils - 2.6.0-pre2-3 - Fuse
            owfs - 2.5p0-1 - 1-Wire filesystem (http://owfs.sf.net)
            owlib - 2.5p0-1 - 1-wire library

            That's as much as I can recall at the moment, hope it helps.

            Paul

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Conway" <rjconway@...> wrote:

            > I am interested in anybody who maybe using the owfs package that enables the slug to
            interface to the dallas 1 wire devices. I have a number of the dallas A/D chips and some
            temperature chips on the network which is only 40 metres and want to compare
            performance.

            > cheers
            >
            > rob

          • lance_benson
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 22, 2006
              >SLUG + 1wire + owfs + rrdtool + thttp + smtpclient + NTP = 1 rock'n
              little SLUG for data collection

              Rob,

              This would be a great project to have published somewhere, maybe Steve
              Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar. For practice, maybe you could write it all
              up as a HowTo here. ;-)
            • siegfried
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 5, 2007
                Rob,

                I hope you are listening!

                All,

                Can anyone recommend some part numbers and retailers for projects like
                Rob's? I did a google search for "Dallas 1 wire" and felt a bit overwhelmed
                by the number of different parts. I would love to know exactly which part
                numbers Rob used - especially for USB connections.

                Thanks,

                Siegfried

[...]

                ou-Tf0aCidcbk8tyvD70JYP0GsRnvIWoMPqqRm4iEdUwcc5juRlLEK29oMlPwyZFRrP-SCjZfsSs

                Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2006 12:07 AM
                Subject: [nslu2-general] Re: Does anybody use the Dallas 1 wire with the
                unslung 6.8

                I've got owfs set up and running under Unslung 6.8 beta. I'm afraid I didn't
                take a lot of
                notes when getting it to run. As I recall there wasn't a lot of problems
                getting owserver,
                owhttpd, or owftpd to run. owfs was another matter. The problem was that to
                get owfs to
                run, I had to provide an undocumented command line parameter '--mountpoint'.
                So the
                full command line would be something like:

                /opt/bin/owfs -P /opt/var/run/owfs.pid -s 3002--mountpoint /tmp/1wire

                This was accomodated by changing the /opt/etc/owfs configuration file to
                contain:

                OPTIONS="-s 3002 --mountpoint "
                MOUNTDIR="/tmp/1wire"

                Note the space *after* the option --mountpoint in the OPTIONS variable.

                The thing is, those variables are used in the /opt/etc/init.d/S80owfs
                script,
                but the
                mountpoint keyword was absent. Took a little bit to figure it out.

                As for related ipkgs that are installed, I have:

                libfuse - 2.6.0-pre2-3 - Fuse
                kmod-fuse - 2.6.0-pre2-3 - Fuse
                fuse-utils - 2.6.0-pre2-3 - Fuse
                owfs - 2.5p0-1 - 1-Wire filesystem (http://owfs.sf.net)
                owlib - 2.5p0-1 - 1-wire library

                That's as much as I can recall at the moment, hope it helps.

                Paul

                --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                ou-Tf0aCidcbk8tyvD70JYP0GsRnvIWoMPqqRm4iEdUwcc5juRlLEK29oMlPwyZFRrP-SCjZfsSs
                I> , "Rob Conway" <rjconway@...> wrote:
                >
                > I am interested in anybody who maybe using the owfs package that enables
                the
                slug to
                interface to the dallas 1 wire devices. I have a number of the dallas A/D
                chips and some
                temperature chips on the network which is only 40 metres and want to compare
                performance.

                > cheers
                >
                > rob

              • Rob Conway
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2007
                  Siegfried

                  I will respond direct to yourself, Just look at the owfs website and those guy's provide great info.

                  cheers

                  rob -Australia

                  Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2006 12:07 AM
                  unslung 6.8

                  I've got owfs set up and running under Unslung 6.8 beta. I'm afraid I didn't
                  take a lot of
                  notes when getting it to run. As I recall there wasn't a lot of problems
                  getting owserver,
                  owhttpd, or owftpd to run. owfs was another matter. The problem was that to
                  get owfs to
                  run, I had to provide an undocumented command line parameter '--mountpoint'.
                  So the
                  full command line would be something like:

                  /opt/bin/owfs -P /opt/var/run/owfs.pid -s 3002--mountpoint /tmp/1wire

                  This was accomodated by changing the /opt/etc/owfs configuration file to
                  contain:

                  OPTIONS="-s 3002 --mountpoint "
                  MOUNTDIR="/tmp/1wire"

                  Note the space *after* the option --mountpoint in the OPTIONS variable.

                  The thing is, those variables are used in the /opt/etc/init.d/S80owfs
                  script,
                  but the
                  mountpoint keyword was absent. Took a little bit to figure it out.

                  As for related ipkgs that are installed, I have:

                  libfuse - 2.6.0-pre2-3 - Fuse
                  kmod-fuse - 2.6.0-pre2-3 - Fuse
                  fuse-utils - 2.6.0-pre2-3 - Fuse
                  owfs - 2.5p0-1 - 1-Wire filesystem (http://owfs.sf.net)
                  owlib - 2.5p0-1 - 1-wire library

                  That's as much as I can recall at the moment, hope it helps.

                  Paul

                  --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
                  ou-Tf0aCidcbk8tyvD70JYP0GsRnvIWoMPqqRm4iEdUwcc5juRlLEK29oMlPwyZFRrP-SCjZfsSs
                  I> , "Rob Conway" <rjconway@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > I am interested in anybody who maybe using the owfs package that enables
                  the
                  slug to
                  interface to the dallas 1 wire devices. I have a number of the dallas A/D
                  chips and some
                  temperature chips on the network which is only 40 metres and want to compare
                  performance.

                  > cheers
                  >
                  > rob

                • Gregg C Levine
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 5, 2007
                    Hello!
                    I agree! As it happens I am one of the users, and sometimes developers, but
                    on Intel only at the moment.

                    For starters, explore http://owfs.sf.net after that there will be places to
                    visit described on that site.
                    --
                    Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
                    "The Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

                    On