Why is my harddisk full?

  • ptrsmid
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 18, 2006
      Hello all,

      My NSLU2 tells me my harddisk is full and I don't understand it. My
      slug is unslung to version 5.5 and my harddisk is a Maxtor onetouch
      250 GB drive.
      I have the following configuration: I have 3 user shares and one
      public share. I tried to make life easier for the users by making
      symbolic links from the user shares to the information on the public
      share. I made a symbolic link in the user share to the corresponding
      directory on the public share with the linux command `ln -s'. See
      the diagram below (I hope the format stays intact). In this way each
      user has access to his private documents (My_documents) and access
      to the shared directories (Our_documents & Our_music) from his own
      user directory. This has worked great for over a year now. However
      since last week the disk is full. I don't understand this. The music
      directory contains 95 GB, the 4 documents directories contain an
      average of 5 GB, this makes a total of 115 GB. This means my hard
      disk should only be half full. Does anyone know what the problem
      could be. Is it related to the symbolic links I made. I understood
      that a symbolic link is in this case only a reference to another
      directory and doesn't take up disk space. Is there a tool to
      investigate the used diskspace. My windows computer isn't aware of
      the symbolic links and calculates ca 105 GB for each user. Any help
      would be greatly appreciated.

      Kind regards, Peter Smid

      Harddisk 250 GB on NLSU2
      |-User1
      | |-My_documents 5GB
      | |-Our_documents 5GB (symbolic link to Documents)
      | |-Our music 95GB (symbolic link to Music)
      |-User2
      | |-My_documents 4GB
      | |-Our_documents 5GB (symbolic link to Documents)
      | |-Our music 95GB (symbolic link to Music)
      |-User3
      | |-My_documents 6GB
      | |-Our_documents 5GB (symbolic link to Documents)
      | |-Our music 95GB (symbolic link to Music)
      |-Public
      |-Documents 5GB
      |-Music 95GB
    • whaly
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 19, 2006

        If you are using NFS to share the data and if your user use a file manager
        to delete file, check that there is no .Trash-username (for Gnome)
        directory for example.

        Hope it help
        Whaly

        On Wed, October 18, 2006 21:26, ptrsmid wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >

        > My NSLU2 tells me my harddisk is full and I don't understand it. My
        > slug is unslung to version 5.5 and my harddisk is a Maxtor onetouch 250 GB
        > drive. I have the following configuration: I have 3 user shares and one
        > public share. I tried to make life easier for the users by making symbolic
        > links from the user shares to the information on the public share. I made
        > a symbolic link in the user share to the corresponding directory on the
        > public share with the linux command `ln -s'. See the diagram below (I hope
        > the format stays intact). In this way each user has access to his private
        > documents (My_documents) and access to the shared directories
        > (Our_documents & Our_music) from his own
        > user directory. This has worked great for over a year now. However since
        > last week the disk is full. I don't understand this. The music directory
        > contains 95 GB, the 4 documents directories contain an average of 5 GB,
        > this makes a total of 115 GB. This means my hard disk should only be half
        > full. Does anyone know what the problem could be. Is it related to the
        > symbolic links I made. I understood that a symbolic link is in this case
        > only a reference to another directory and doesn't take up disk space. Is
        > there a tool to investigate the used diskspace. My windows computer isn't
        > aware of the symbolic links and calculates ca 105 GB for each user. Any
        > help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Kind regards, Peter Smid
        >

        > Harddisk 250 GB on NLSU2
        > |-User1
        > | |-My_documents 5GB
        > | |-Our_documents 5GB (symbolic link to Documents)
        > | |-Our music 95GB (symbolic link to Music)
        > |-User2
        > | |-My_documents 4GB
        > | |-Our_documents 5GB (symbolic link to Documents)
        > | |-Our music 95GB (symbolic link to Music)
        > |-User3
        > | |-My_documents 6GB
        > | |-Our_documents 5GB (symbolic link to Documents)
        > | |-Our music 95GB (symbolic link to Music)
        > |-Public
        > |-Documents 5GB
        > |-Music 95GB
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Lennart Börjeson
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 19, 2006
          You need to log in to the NSLU2 as root. Then use the "du -s" command to
          compute the total space used in each share, e.g. "du -s /share/hdd/data/*"

          /Lennart

          --
          !++
          ! Lennart Börjeson
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 22, 2006
            What's the meaning of the /share/hdd/data/share directory???

            Lennart, thanks for your help on the du command.

            I examined my drive with the du command and looked at the used space
            of the different directories in the /share/hdd/data directory. Most
            directories show a used space as expected (see overview below).
            However there is a /share/hdd/data/share that uses a lot of space.
            When I enter /share/hdd/data/share I almost see a copy of
            my /share/hdd/data directory but then my data is in the flash
            directory in stead of the hdd directory. It looks like a copy of the
            data but not all data is available. I miss for instance one user
            directory and the /share/hdd/data/share/flash/data/public directory
            misses a lot of data. If I look in my own user directory
            (/share/hdd/data/share/flash/data/user1) I see a copy of recently
            added files.
            I understand now why my drive is full. If I add all the used space
            of the du -s command my 250 GB are almost full but I don't
            understand the meaning of the /share/hdd/data/share directory. Can
            anyone explain this to me. I'm wondering if I can trash the data in
            it as it seems to be only a copy of my 'real' data but I'm not shure.

            Below is an overview of the content of the /share/hdd/data
            directory. The drive is natively formatted by unslung 5.5. I
            previously used this drive as a backup drive using the linksys
            backup tool but later decided to use the drive as my primary drive
            and use another backup drive.

            Kind regards, Peter

            |-User1 (du -s shows: 3517652)
            | |-My_documents ca 4GB
            | |-Our_documents 5GB (symbolic link to Public/Documents)
            | |-Our music 95GB (symbolic link to Public/Music)
            |-User2 (du –s shows: 1113708)
            | |-My_documents ca 1GB
            | |-Our_documents 5GB (symbolic link to Public/Documents)
            | |-Our music 95GB (symbolic link to Public/Music)
            |-User3 (du –s shows: 52)
            | |-My_documents ca 0GB
            | |-Our_documents 5GB (symbolic link to Public/Documents)
            | |-Our music 95GB (symbolic link to Public/Music)
            |-Public (du –s shows: 122126872)
            | |-Documents 5GB
            | |-Fotos 10GB
            | |-Music 107GB
            |-share

            --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Börjeson

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 23, 2006
              It does indeed look very strange. It looks as if your backups copy the disk
              back to itself. Have you tried to modify the backup scripts as per
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/FixTheDriveBackupForUnslungFirmware ?

              I'm guessing you've made an error in the script (e.g. missed a leading "/" in
              the rsync targets).

              /Lennart

              --
              !++
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 24, 2006
                Thanks again lennart,

                I examined my backup and it seems a backup is performed both to my
                second harddisk and to the /share/hdd/data/share/flash/data
                directory. In both places I find recently added files. This is
                strange indeed.
                I looked at the backup page in the wiki and it is different from the
                one I used about 1,5 year ago. I'll change the script according to
                the wiki page and see what happens but have to wait until the
                weekend. It is difficult to understand the scripts for a linux
                newbie. I guess I have to learn some linux skills soon.

                Do you know if the /share/hdd/data/share directory has a purpose or
                can I just delete this directory with my extra (unwanted) backup.

                Kind regards, Peter

                <Lennart.Borjeson@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > | |-Our_documents 5GB (symbolic link to Public/Documents)
                > > | |-Our music 95GB (symbolic link to Public/Music)
                > > |
                > > |-User3 (du –s shows: 52)
                > > |
                > > | |-My_documents ca 0GB
                > > | |-Our_documents 5GB (symbolic link to Public/Documents)
                > > | |-Our music 95GB (symbolic link to Public/Music)
                > > |
                > > |-Public (du –s shows: 122126872)
                > > |
                > > | |-Documents 5GB
                > > | |-Fotos 10GB
                > > | |-Music 107GB
                > > |
                > > |-share
                > > |
                > > | |-flash (du –s shows: 112601540)
                > > | |
                > > | | |
                > > | | |

                > > --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Lennart Börjeson
                > >
                > > <Lennart.Borjeson@> wrote:
                > > > You need to log in to the NSLU2 as root. Then use the "du -s"
                > >
                > > command to
                > >
                > > > compute the total space used in each share, e.g. "du -

              • Lennart Börjeson
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 24, 2006
                  AFAIK, /share/hdd/data/share serves no purpose---but don't blame me if it
                  really does on your system! ;-)

                  /Lennart

                  --
                  !++
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 31, 2006
                    Lennart, thanks for your help
                    I changed the script according to the one in the wiki and removed
                    everything in de /share/hdd/data/share/flash/data directory and
                    everything seems to be working ok now. And in the meantime I learned
                    some extra linux commands....
                    I looked into the rsync documentation and have an exiting plan to
                    change the backup in the future into a backup whith snapshots. At the
                    moment I'm a bit short of spare time so it has to wait until the
                    comming long winter evenings.

                    Regards, Peter