Re: How to upload Unslung

  • PJ Cabrera
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2004
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "garron_leslie" wrote:

      > I have D/L F/Ware 2.12 beta (not sure if 3.x is better) but i have no
      > idea how to upload the firmware to the NSL or even test if it worked?
      >
      > I went to the linux page for this dev, and clicked on the link for
      > the upload tool and all it gave me was a description and a bunch of
      > code that looked like it was compiled in C??

      Hi there,

      Right, upslug is written in C. You need to compile it with GNU C
      Compiler. These instructions are good for Linux, BSD, commercial
      SysV-compatible Unix, and under Windows with either Cygwin or MSYS.

      First, you should install CVS, GCC, and GNU Make. Then open a command
      line shell, create a directory named something like slugtools, change
      directories there, and checkout the upslug module with CVS:

      mkdir slugtools
      cd slugtools

      export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/nslu
      cvs login
      [when it asks for a password, leave blank and just press enter]
      cvs -z3 co upslug

      change directories to upslug, compile by entering the command "make"
      (without the quotes)

      cd upslug
      make [or gmake in BSD or commercial SysV Unix]

      This should create a program called upslug in there. Copy it to
      /usr/local/bin and make sure /usr/local/bin is in your PATH.

      su
      Password: [enter root password]
      cp upslug /usr/local/bin
      exit

      Now comes the fun part :-) The following link has very good
      instructions on how to get the NSLU2 to RedBoot mode, where you can
      flash the ROM with relative ease (the web-based update has never
      worked reliably with any of my three slugs).

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot

      I use the perl script provided in that page, it's not failed me once.
      Copy and paste the perl script into a file named telnet_redboot.pl,
      then save it in /usr/local/bin

      Then shut off your NSLU2 unit, and get ready to run the script

      telnet_redboot [don't press enter yet]

      Press enter at the same time you turn on the NSLU2!

      Once you have telnetted into the NSLU2 RedBoot, then do the following:

      type the command update

      RedBoot> update [enter]

      The NSLU will stop responding to the keyboard, and the top LED will
      flash red. That's OK, it means it's ready to be flashed. Quit telnet
      by typing Ctrl-] then at the telnet> prompt, type quit or exit
      (Windows's telnet uses quit, most Unix use exit).

      Then run upslug

      upslug -u [upslug-image-filename-goes-here]

      CAREFUL: DO NOT type -U <-- uppercase u. BIG MISTAKE!!! (unless you
      have JTAG cables and embedded systems experience)

      Hopefully that was clearer that when I learned these tricks by trail
      of fire. :-)

      Later,

      PJ Cabrera
    • PJ Cabrera
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 23, 2004
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "PJ Cabrera" wrote:

        > Then run upslug
        >
        > upslug -u [upslug-image-filename-goes-here]

        Oops, that should be unslung-image-filename-goes-here

        Sorry, all that preparation to use upslug turned my brain to mush
        before I got to the final important bit!

        PJ Cabrera