Re: [nslu2-general] Cron appends junk to my wget downloads!

  • Thaths
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2006
      On 10/10/06, Airw0lf <aerwulfe@...> wrote:
      > My wget_script is as follows:
      >
      > cd /public
      > /opt/bin/wget -c -i /public/download.txt
      >
      > download.txt merely contains a list of URLs for wget to download.
      >
      > Now when I check the files downloaded by crontab, I always find junk
      > appended to the ends of the files! Here is an example of the bytes appended
      > to the end of one file:
      >
      > 31 30 30 25 20 20 20 37 36 2E 30 32 20 4B 42 2F 73 0A 0A
      >
      > Using a hex editor, I can identify this as "100% 76.02 KB/s..". So it
      > seems that output from the shell is being put inside my downloads!

      Maybe redirecting the stdout of the cron script might help:

      cd /public
      /opt/bin/wget -c -i /public/downliad.txt > /dev/null 2>&1

      Thaths
      --
      Homer: He has all the money in the world, but there's one thing he can't buy.
      Marge: What's that?
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2006
        I'm not sure if it's a wget+cron issue, or just a cron issue. I don't see
        the problem for just calling wget.

        The version I'm using is a separate install (from ipkg install wget) in
        /opt/bin. I call /opt/bin/wget explicitly because I want to use this
        "full-featured" wget version.

        I managed to eliminate the problem by passing -q to wget. This stops all
        console output. However, I don't think it should be necessary to do
        this...

      • Airw0lf
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2006
          Thaths <thaths@...> wrote in

          > On 10/10/06, Airw0lf
          > <aerwulfe@...> wrote:
          >> My wget_script is as follows:
          >>
          >> cd /public
          >> /opt/bin/wget -c -i /public/download.txt
          >>
          >> download.txt merely contains a list of URLs for wget to download.
          >>
          >> Now when I check the files downloaded by crontab, I always find junk
          >> appended to the ends of the files! Here is an example of the bytes
          >> appended to the end of one file:
          >>
          >> 31 30 30 25 20 20 20 37 36 2E 30 32 20 4B 42 2F 73 0A 0A
          >>
          >> Using a hex editor, I can identify this as "100% 76.02 KB/s..". So
          >> it seems that output from the shell is being put inside my downloads!
          >
          > Maybe redirecting the stdout of the cron script might help:
          >
          > cd /public
          > /opt/bin/wget -c -i /public/downliad.txt > /dev/null 2>&1
          >
          > Thaths

          Thanks for that idea. I will look into it when I feel like learning some
          more.

          But for now I think I can manage by calling wget -q. This stops wget from
          writing to stdout.