Re: [nslu2-general] How to have multiple partitions using parted?

  • stuart smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
      I use Acronis Trueimage (www.acronis.com) to do my backups. It will do incremental image backups so apart from your first back, most backup times are only a few minutes. You can boot the PC from the recovery CD and do a bare metal recovery from any one of the incremental backups. It will allow you to do the backups and restores with local disks and windows shares so if you can put up with a longer restore, you can do the bare metal restore and leave the disk on the slug at your mates place. my restore of about 40 to my laptop takes me about 2 hours to have it running as it was at the last backup.

      IMHO, it leaves ghost for dead for backups.

      Stuart

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
        On Sat, 2006-10-07 at 16:46 -0600, siegfried wrote:

        > I assume by native you mean LinkSys's special version of ext2?

        It's a normal ext2/ext3 filesystem but:
        There have to be three partitions
        Partition one and two are linux partitions (type 83)
        Partition three is swap (type 82)
        Some files have to exist in the partitions.

        > How do I do create such a special partition using Linux?

        The most easy way.

        1) Create the partitions with the slug
        2) Make a backup of partition 1 and 2
        3) Repartition the disk and restore the files on partition 1 and 2.

        > I don't need to create the NTFS boot partition with unslung. I can
        > created it by using Knoppix's dd command to copy directly from my
        > multi-partition boot disk to my backup disk. I believe unslung
        > recognizes the resulting NTFS partition.

        You can use dd to copy the disk to a file on ext2 as well!
        This really no reason to support ntfs.

        > I assume my unslung NSLU2 would behave the same way as long as it
        > is not trying to boot from it.

        Unslung won't boot from that disk. It will always use the kernel
        on the flash. The init will use pivot_root to use the external
        disk as rootfilesystem.

        > How would I do that? Use ssh and issue a mount command? I don't know
        > the device designator, however. I tried to do a "fdisk -l" but busy
        > box did not have fdisk.

        mount -t <filesystem type> /dev/sd[a|b]4 /mnt

        > > 1) Create a bootable image with a tool (e.g. ghost)

        > > In case of a recovery
        >
        > > 1) Get the bootable image from the disk and burn it
        > > to a cd.
        >
        > Hmmm... I assume you mean DVD? But 100GB drive won't fit even on a
        > double layer DVD.

        You just need a bare minimum os backup. Our has windows already grown
        to 100GB minimum install size?

        > > 3) It is possible to use the slug as pxe boot server. If you
        >
        > > could use pxe to boot your image you don't need to burn
        >
        > > your cd!
        >
        > Hmmm... this is news to me. Can you give me a URL? Would the NSLU2 be
        > fast enough?

        I used pxe to make a fc5 install server.

        There is a lot of information over pxe.
        http://www.kegel.com/linux/pxe.html

        > When copying from one NSLU2 to another I could only average
        > 180KByte/second SATA disks do 60-70Mbyte/second.

        You can expect 3 mb/s filesystem io over the network.

        > > Not the standard partitions. There are files there from unslung
        > > which can't be removed. But it can be done with a fourth partition.
        >
        > So I would create a fourth parition using parted and format it using
        > Fedora or SuSE to be ext2 and then unslung will be able to read/write
        > it?

        Probably.

        > > A other solution would be to use pxe to boot your system and place
        > > all the files in a nfs root environment.
        >
        > Could you elaborate on this more? I'm not familiar with the term "nfs
        > root environment".

        Nfs is the unix "network filesystem". It's a way of sharing files
        between unix systems as smb/samba is in the windows world.

        Unix systems are able to use such a nfs filesystem as root filesystem
        if the necessary files for the root are there.

        http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Diskless-root-NFS-HOWTO.html

        > Could I boot windows this way?

        Nop.

        But there are probably other solutions for that.

        --
        Marceln
      • siegfried
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
          sieg> How do I do create such a special partition using Linux?

          Marceln> The most easy way.

          Marceln> 1) Create the partitions with the slug

          Marceln> 2) Make a backup of partition 1 and 2

          Marceln> 3) Repartition the disk and restore the files on partition 1 and 2.

          Ah hah! Very interesting! Since I am new to linux, I'm not sure what

          you mean by backup. Do you mean dd? If so, I need a lot of room on

          another drive.

          Are there any busybox commands to create new partitions or must I do

          it with the web interface?

          When I said "Linux" I meant to say Fedora or SuSE linux. Can I plug my

          USB drive directly into my PC and create these partitions so they are

          compatible with the NSLU2?

          sieg> I don't need to create the NTFS boot partition with unslung. I can

          sieg> created it by using Knoppix's dd command to copy directly from my

          sieg> multi-partition boot disk to my backup disk. I believe unslung

          sieg> recognizes the resulting NTFS partition.

          Marceln> You can use dd to copy the disk to a file on ext2 as well!

          Marceln> This really no reason to support ntfs.

          What if I want to be able to boot Windows from the disk when it is

          plugged directly into the PC. Don't I need NTFS then?

          Are you suggesting I don't need NTFS because I can boot windows via a

          network boot?

          sieg> I assume my unslung NSLU2 would behave the same way as long as it

          sieg> is not trying to boot from it.

          Marceln> Unslung won't boot from that disk. It will always use the kernel

          Marceln> on the flash. The init will use pivot_root to use the external

          Marceln> disk as rootfilesystem.

          sieg> How would I do that? Use ssh and issue a mount command? I don't know

          sieg> the device designator, however. I tried to do a "fdisk -l" but busy

          sieg> box did not have fdisk.

          Marceln> mount -t <filesystem type> /dev/sd[a|b]4 /mnt

          Ah hah! Thanks! What are the exact designators for <filesystem type>?

          ext2fs? Can it do ext3?

          Marceln> You can expect 3 mb/s filesystem io over the network.

          Whoa, I'm not getting anything near that when I have two NSLU2s

          connected to windows and I copy a linux distro iso file from one NSLU2

          to another. Is something wrong with my configuration? I'm only getting

          180kbyte/s.

          Thanks much!

          siegfried