Re: [nslu2-general] How to have multiple partitions using parted?

  • Marcel Nijenhof
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
      On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 20:11 -0600, siegfried wrote:
      > As I understand it, if I want to use ext2 I have to let unslung format
      > the entire disk. Is this correct?

      No.

      It is also possible to format a ext2/ext3 disk with linux.

      But:
      a ext2/ext3 disk is something different as a native
      disk. A native disk has more restrictions.
      But it is also possible to create a native disk on
      a other system.

      > I want to be able to get my drive from my neighbor's house and be able
      > to boot windows immediately or do metal restore by plugging the USB
      > drive directly into the computer and booting knoppix to run dd and
      > restore all the partitions.

      I don't think you will be able to create a windows bootable disk with
      the unsling. You get problems with the bootblock

      > (1) Has anyone had any luck using parted to shrink unslung's special
      > ext2 partitions to make room for NTFS partitions? Will Unslung then
      > recognize multiple partitions when it boots?

      It is possible to create 4 partitions and use the fourth partition
      as you like. But you have to mount it manually.

      But i wouldn't use NTFS in any way because it's not stable.
      I have done some testing on the ntfs driver and concluded that
      it will always hang on intensive io.

      I would use something like:
      1) Create a bootable image with a tool (e.g. ghost)
      - Store that file on your slug
      2) Make a backup of your files
      - If you want to preserve all setting use a windows
      backup solution and write the backup to the slug
      - Otherwise you can copy the files to the slug

      In case of a recovery
      1) Get the bootable image from the disk and burn it
      to a cd.
      2) Boot and restore your os
      3) restore the other files.

      Notes:
      1) All the files can be stored on a normal ext2 share!
      2) It's possible to read ext3 disks from windows
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AccessNSLU2FormattedDriveUsingWindows
      3) It is possible to use the slug as pxe boot server. If you
      could use pxe to boot your image you don't need to burn
      your cd!

      > (2) Is there a way to do a bare metal restore for ext2 partitions so I
      > can boot SuSE or Fedora from the ext2 partitions created with
      > unslung?

      Not the standard partitions. There are files there from unslung which
      can't be removed. But it can be done with a fourth partition.

      A other solution would be to use pxe to boot your system and place
      all the files in a nfs root environment.

      --
      Marceln
    • siegfried
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
        > On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 20:11 -0600, siegfried wrote:

        > > As I understand it, if I want to use ext2 I have to let unslung format

        > > the entire disk. Is this correct?

        > No.

        > It is also possible to format a ext2/ext3 disk with linux.

        > But:

        > a ext2/ext3 disk is something different as a native

        > disk. A native disk has more restrictions.

        > But it is also possible to create a native disk on

        > a other system.

        I assume by native you mean LinkSys's special version of ext2?

        How do I do create such a special partition using Linux?

        > > I want to be able to get my drive from my neighbor's house and be able

        > > to boot windows immediately or do metal restore by plugging the USB

        > > drive directly into the computer and booting knoppix to run dd and

        > > restore all the partitions.

        > I don't think you will be able to create a windows bootable disk with

        > the unsling. You get problems with the bootblock

        I don't need to create the NTFS boot partition with unslung. I can

        created it by using Knoppix's dd command to copy directly from my

        multi-partition boot disk to my backup disk. I believe unslung

        recognizes the resulting NTFS partition.

        Yup -- It works. I just tried it. But it only recognizes my one NTFS

        partition and not my FAT32 or ext3 partitions. I guess that is no

        surprise. It does not seem to be bothered by GRUB being on there. But

        I'm not booting from this disk.

        Actually I have two NSLU2's and this one I'm testing now is not unslung

        yet. I assume my unslung NSLU2 would behave the same way as long as it

        is not trying to boot from it.

        > > (1) Has anyone had any luck using parted to shrink unslung's special

        > > ext2 partitions to make room for NTFS partitions? Will Unslung then

        > > recognize multiple partitions when it boots?

        > It is possible to create 4 partitions and use the fourth partition

        > as you like. But you have to mount it manually.

        How would I do that? Use ssh and issue a mount command? I don't know

        the device designator, however. I tried to do a "fdisk -l" but busy box

        did not have fdisk.

        > But i wouldn't use NTFS in any way because it's not stable.

        > I have done some testing on the ntfs driver and concluded that

        > it will always hang on intensive io.

        > I would use something like:

        > 1) Create a bootable image with a tool (e.g. ghost)

        I hope I can resolve my problems with ghost. I'm fustrated with Ghost

        tech support. They tell me I need to reflash my bios because their

        software cannot enumerate my harddrives and I don't believe the

        problem is with my bios. If it was with my bios, why can windows and

        linux see all my devices just fine? I hate the thought of getting a

        power outage right in the middle of reflashing my bios.

        Woops I digress.

        > - Store that file on your slug

        This would be one huge file stored on a ext2 partition?

        > 2) Make a backup of your files

        > - If you want to preserve all setting use a windows

        > backup solution and write the backup to the slug

        > - Otherwise you can copy the files to the slug

        > In case of a recovery

        > 1) Get the bootable image from the disk and burn it

        > to a cd.

        Hmmm... I assume you mean DVD? But 100GB drive won't fit even on a

        double layer DVD.

        > 2) Boot and restore your os

        > 3) restore the other files.

        > Notes:

        > 1) All the files can be stored on a normal ext2 share!

        > 2) It's possible to read ext3 disks from windows

        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AccessNSLU2FormattedDriveUsingWindows

        > 3) It is possible to use the slug as pxe boot server. If you

        > could use pxe to boot your image you don't need to burn

        > your cd!

        Hmmm... this is news to me. Can you give me a URL? Would the NSLU2 be fast
        enough?

        When copying from one NSLU2 to another I could only average 180KByte/second.
        SATA disks

        do 60-70Mbyte/second.

        > > (2) Is there a way to do a bare metal restore for ext2 partitions so I

        > > can boot SuSE or Fedora from the ext2 partitions created with

        > > unslung?

        > Not the standard partitions. There are files there from unslung which

        > can't be removed. But it can be done with a fourth partition.

        So I would create a fourth parition using parted and format it using

        Fedora or SuSE to be ext2 and then unslung will be able to read/write

        it?

        > A other solution would be to use pxe to boot your system and place

        > all the files in a nfs root environment.

        Could you elaborate on this more? I'm not familiar with the term "nfs

        root environment". Could I boot windows this way?

        > --

        > Marceln

        Thank you very much, Marceln!

        Siegfried

      • Peter Chant
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
          On Saturday 07 October 2006 23:46, siegfried wrote:

          > I don't need to create the NTFS boot partition with unslung. I can
          >
          > created it by using Knoppix's dd command to copy directly from my
          >
          > multi-partition boot disk to my backup disk. I believe unslung
          >
          > recognizes the resulting NTFS partition.

          Hmm, but in this case surely the source and destination partitions would
          need to be the same size and I would think (not from great knowledge) that
          you would get into big trouble with the partition table on the
          destination.

          I suppose if say you had an 80GB drive you could dd it, including partition
          table, onto a > 80GB partition provided you dd'ed it back to an identical
          disk to read / use it.

          Pete
        • stuart smith
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
            I use Acronis Trueimage (www.acronis.com) to do my backups. It will do incremental image backups so apart from your first back, most backup times are only a few minutes. You can boot the PC from the recovery CD and do a bare metal recovery from any one of the incremental backups. It will allow you to do the backups and restores with local disks and windows shares so if you can put up with a longer restore, you can do the bare metal restore and leave the disk on the slug at your mates place. my restore of about 40 to my laptop takes me about 2 hours to have it running as it was at the last backup.

            IMHO, it leaves ghost for dead for backups.

            Stuart

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
              On Sat, 2006-10-07 at 16:46 -0600, siegfried wrote:

              > I assume by native you mean LinkSys's special version of ext2?

              It's a normal ext2/ext3 filesystem but:
              There have to be three partitions
              Partition one and two are linux partitions (type 83)
              Partition three is swap (type 82)
              Some files have to exist in the partitions.

              > How do I do create such a special partition using Linux?

              The most easy way.

              1) Create the partitions with the slug
              2) Make a backup of partition 1 and 2
              3) Repartition the disk and restore the files on partition 1 and 2.

              > I don't need to create the NTFS boot partition with unslung. I can
              > created it by using Knoppix's dd command to copy directly from my
              > multi-partition boot disk to my backup disk. I believe unslung
              > recognizes the resulting NTFS partition.

              You can use dd to copy the disk to a file on ext2 as well!
              This really no reason to support ntfs.

              > I assume my unslung NSLU2 would behave the same way as long as it
              > is not trying to boot from it.

              Unslung won't boot from that disk. It will always use the kernel
              on the flash. The init will use pivot_root to use the external
              disk as rootfilesystem.

              > How would I do that? Use ssh and issue a mount command? I don't know
              > the device designator, however. I tried to do a "fdisk -l" but busy
              > box did not have fdisk.

              mount -t <filesystem type> /dev/sd[a|b]4 /mnt

              > > 1) Create a bootable image with a tool (e.g. ghost)

              > > In case of a recovery
              >
              > > 1) Get the bootable image from the disk and burn it
              > > to a cd.
              >
              > Hmmm... I assume you mean DVD? But 100GB drive won't fit even on a
              > double layer DVD.

              You just need a bare minimum os backup. Our has windows already grown
              to 100GB minimum install size?

              > > 3) It is possible to use the slug as pxe boot server. If you
              >
              > > could use pxe to boot your image you don't need to burn
              >
              > > your cd!
              >
              > Hmmm... this is news to me. Can you give me a URL? Would the NSLU2 be
              > fast enough?

              I used pxe to make a fc5 install server.

              There is a lot of information over pxe.
              http://www.kegel.com/linux/pxe.html

              > When copying from one NSLU2 to another I could only average
              > 180KByte/second SATA disks do 60-70Mbyte/second.

              You can expect 3 mb/s filesystem io over the network.

              > > Not the standard partitions. There are files there from unslung
              > > which can't be removed. But it can be done with a fourth partition.
              >
              > So I would create a fourth parition using parted and format it using
              > Fedora or SuSE to be ext2 and then unslung will be able to read/write
              > it?

              Probably.

              > > A other solution would be to use pxe to boot your system and place
              > > all the files in a nfs root environment.
              >
              > Could you elaborate on this more? I'm not familiar with the term "nfs
              > root environment".

              Nfs is the unix "network filesystem". It's a way of sharing files
              between unix systems as smb/samba is in the windows world.

              Unix systems are able to use such a nfs filesystem as root filesystem
              if the necessary files for the root are there.

              http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Diskless-root-NFS-HOWTO.html

              > Could I boot windows this way?

              Nop.

              But there are probably other solutions for that.

              --
              Marceln
            • siegfried
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
                sieg> How do I do create such a special partition using Linux?

                Marceln> The most easy way.

                Marceln> 1) Create the partitions with the slug

                Marceln> 2) Make a backup of partition 1 and 2

                Marceln> 3) Repartition the disk and restore the files on partition 1 and 2.

                Ah hah! Very interesting! Since I am new to linux, I'm not sure what

                you mean by backup. Do you mean dd? If so, I need a lot of room on

                another drive.

                Are there any busybox commands to create new partitions or must I do

                it with the web interface?

                When I said "Linux" I meant to say Fedora or SuSE linux. Can I plug my

                USB drive directly into my PC and create these partitions so they are

                compatible with the NSLU2?

                sieg> I don't need to create the NTFS boot partition with unslung. I can

                sieg> created it by using Knoppix's dd command to copy directly from my

                sieg> multi-partition boot disk to my backup disk. I believe unslung

                sieg> recognizes the resulting NTFS partition.

                Marceln> You can use dd to copy the disk to a file on ext2 as well!

                Marceln> This really no reason to support ntfs.

                What if I want to be able to boot Windows from the disk when it is

                plugged directly into the PC. Don't I need NTFS then?

                Are you suggesting I don't need NTFS because I can boot windows via a

                network boot?

                sieg> I assume my unslung NSLU2 would behave the same way as long as it

                sieg> is not trying to boot from it.

                Marceln> Unslung won't boot from that disk. It will always use the kernel

                Marceln> on the flash. The init will use pivot_root to use the external

                Marceln> disk as rootfilesystem.

                sieg> How would I do that? Use ssh and issue a mount command? I don't know

                sieg> the device designator, however. I tried to do a "fdisk -l" but busy

                sieg> box did not have fdisk.

                Marceln> mount -t <filesystem type> /dev/sd[a|b]4 /mnt

                Ah hah! Thanks! What are the exact designators for <filesystem type>?

                ext2fs? Can it do ext3?

                Marceln> You can expect 3 mb/s filesystem io over the network.

                Whoa, I'm not getting anything near that when I have two NSLU2s

                connected to windows and I copy a linux distro iso file from one NSLU2

                to another. Is something wrong with my configuration? I'm only getting

                180kbyte/s.

                Thanks much!

                siegfried