Re: unslinging question...

  • conziatwork
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2004
      Hi Chris,

      you are right in all three points:

      1a. YES, If you have unslung your NSLU2 it is still operating like a
      "normal" Linksys device. You can change this behavior by diversion
      scripts, but it is not a "must"

      1b. YES, you can flash the original firmware "back" if you don't like
      unslung

      2. "It would act like I had just installed the unslung firmware,
      correct?" => YES
      When using NO drive or a NEW drive it behaves just like befor doing
      the /sbin/unsling command. So all modifications made by you are
      lost. The "conf"-Partition is a normal ext3 partition, so you can take
      an image with "partimage" (linux) or Ghost/Acronis/whatever (Windows)

      Hope this helps

      Greetings from Bonn/Germany
      Conzi

      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "chrisparker2000"
      <chrisparker2000@y...> wrote:

      > I am thinking about unslinging my nslu and I have a few questions.
      >
      > 1. After unslinging, is all of the original linksys functionality
      still there? You can replace
      > the firmware with the web interface again if I don't like it?
      >
      > 2. Lets say I unsling my nslu to my current usb drive. Then lets
      say that hard drive
      > crashes. What happens? I read Jim Buzbee's article, and it seems
      that what it would do is
      > NOT find the unslung directory, then load that stuff into a RAMdisk,
      and continue on. It
      > would act like I had just installed the unslung firmware, correct?
      I ask, because I've read
      > that unslinging frees up 10 MB of memory. Originally, I thought that
      SOUNDED like files