External HD enclosure with automatic spindown.

  • montanaro83
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2006
      I've heard rumors saying that a particular model of ICY BOX external
      HD enclosure makes the disk automatically spindown if idle for 10
      minutes, without any software/OS support.

      The model is this one:
      http://tinyurl.com/zzbjd

      Do you have it?
      Have you ever seen it?
      Is it true?

      Thanks to anybody that will answer...
    • Peter Chant
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2006
        On Saturday 30 September 2006 16:56, montanaro83 wrote:

        > Do you have it?
        > Have you ever seen it?
        > Is it true?

        My one does not, it is Firewire plus USB2. With linux it locks up with
        Firewire after a time. Not tried firewire with windows. Not sure if it
        is the unit, my firewire card, linux or a combination of the three.

        Firewire irrelevent to the slug of course.

        Can't really help with the question, mine does not spin down but the model
        number is nowwhere to be found of the unit. Its black if that helps.
      • Gordon Lalor
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2006
          Peter Chant <pete@...> writes:

          > On Saturday 30 September 2006 16:56, montanaro83 wrote:
          >
          > > Do you have it?
          > > Have you ever seen it?
          > > Is it true?
          >
          > My one does not, it is Firewire plus USB2. With linux it locks up with
          > Firewire after a time. Not tried firewire with windows. Not sure if it
          > is the unit, my firewire card, linux or a combination of the three.
          >
          > Firewire irrelevent to the slug of course.
          >
          > Can't really help with the question, mine does not spin down but the model
          > number is nowwhere to be found of the unit. Its black if that helps.

          Hi,

          Well mine is grey! I don't know if it is the same model but mine is a combined
          firewire and usb model. It uses a prolific pl3507 chipset, which is very buggy
          in some earlier firmwares when using firewire. Massive corruption under windows
          and lock ups under linux.

          And no automatic spin downs for me either.

          Gordon.