Skip to search.

Re: [nslu2-general] Re: Firmware Error: "Upgrade: No enough free space."

  • Rod Whitby
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19 6:28 PM
      On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:30:55 -0000, vkelim <vkelim@...> wrote:
      > I saw this same error when I had no devices attached to my NSLU2 at
      > all while trying to upgrade the firmware. The problem was fixed when,
      > as you suggested, a USB hard drive is attached to the NSLU2 (in my
      > case, a New Motion enclosure).

      Yep, in that cases it uses the hard drive to store the image instead
      of an internal ramdisk created just for that use.

      > I note that another poster says that you needed to remove your USB
      > flash memory drive. The V2.3R25 firmware is less than ten megabytes
      > in size, I am surprised that the USB flash is not large enough to
      > hold that file. Perhaps the firmware upgrade software refuses to
      > recognize the USB flash as being a suitable place to store the
      > firmware. I am also surprised that the firmware upgrade software
      > attempts to store the firmware in RAM, if it is always going to fail.

      It is correct that if a flash drive is connected, then it won't use it
      (unless you're running Unslung 2.x or later and the flash drive is
      plugged into disk1 so we fool the linksys software into thinking it's
      a hard drive). It will use a ramdisk instead. Normally there is
      plenty of spare ram for the 8MB ramdisk. However, the check that
      linksys does to see if there is enough free ram for the ramdisk is
      quite basic (it only checks the MemFree, and doesn't take into account
      memory in buffers and cache which would be freed up if an application
      requires it) and lots of things (including quota checks) will cause
      the memory to be used (temporarily) for caching.

      Unfortunately, there is not a lot we can do about that.

      The best (guaranteed to have enough memory every time) way to flash is
      to remove all drives, then reboot, then flash.

      -- Rod