Re: Getting started - which firmware to use?

  • mbogelund
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2006
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, "James Lavery" <jlavery@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Slug so that I can use it as a
      > mail server with SpamAssassin...
      >
      > Which firmware is best for this? Seems to me that Debian/NSLU2 or
      > DebianSlug would be fine - or am I missing something?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > James

      Hi,

      It depends. Unslung is considered the the easiest firmware to handle,
      whereas OpenSlug and the SlugOS's are a bit harder, but more flexible
      and powerful. Be sure to check the alternatives, there might be some
      instabilities, "incompleteness", and other things you don't want.

      The Unslung Wiki homepage says
      (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage):
      "Alternatives to Unslung

      "Here be dragons..." ;-)

      If you are looking to replace the firmware that comes with the NSLU2
      with completely new custom firmware that has the latest Linux kernel,
      a new root filesystem, and new applications, and does not retain the
      standard NSLU2 product functionality and Web interface, then you
      should look at the OpenSlug firmware instead.

      Please note that OpenSlug firmware is only suitable for users who have
      previously installed and administered Linux before. For those wanting
      an uncomplicated life, stick with Unslung."

      Take a look at:
      http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/nslu2/cross/stable/
      Here you can se that spamassasin packages are indeed available for
      Unslung. You can also look for your favorite mail server here.

      Enjoy, and have fun!