Re: [nslu2-general] Re: vlc

  • pepesz76
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 26 8:22 AM
      Hello guy_nux,

      I compiled vlc according to
      http://slugplayer.free.fr/wikini/wakka.php?wiki=InstallationVLCavecLive.
      It is working :)
      I suggest to add the note to the wiki that after vlc compilation is
      finished, you can delete the /usr/lib/live, since the vlc modules are
      already created.

      Thanks

      PS. I have the problem with steam h264/ts @ 2000kbps. Did you ever
      tried that large bitrate?
      --
      Best regards,
      pepesz76 mailto:pepesz76@...
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
        The last post is so old. Has anyone put VLC on a slug nowadays?

        Thanks for your answer in advance! Mik
      • nllittle2003
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4, 2008
          Yes VLC will run on a slug.

          The issue is of course getting all those nitpickin parameters right.
          I took a look at how they used VLC in slugplayer (slugplayer.free.fr).
          Sure its in french but thats where yahoo.babelfish comes in and of
          course a french to english dictionary. The syntax throws me sometimes.

          Slugplayer is a PVR using PHP and sqllite on a web server. It has a
          lot of the functions you would use with Mythbox. VLC is used to do the
          recording and streaming with out the back-end that Mythbox has (A Slug
          killer).

          I have been messing with it for the last 6 months getting the text all
          converted to english, and changing things like tv channels, video
          formats and date/time formats.

          Now comes the little issue of the XMLTV feeds (there doen't seem to be
          any free feeds any more). Then getting all that to work here in the US
          (my XML foo is weak).

          So, YES VLC works great on a SLUG

          OS=NSLU2Debian

          73,
          Neil, WA4AZL
          JARS Forever!!
          www.jars.net

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5, 2008
            Thanks for your answer. I will check the french site also.

            - Means your last sentence, that using VLC with Debian is also working
            on a Slug?

            Thanks for your help in advance, I am a real beginner.
            Mik
          • nllittle2003
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
              Yes there is a regular ARM distribution for Debian

              Look here
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/HomePage
              http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html

              Since they fixed the installer it runs pretty good. Takes a while
              though. Expect to spend at least a couple of hours working on it.
              Remember that you can only run Debian on a NSLU2 from a hard drive.
              Its not like unslung. Its a full blown debian system.

              I only had to start over once. First time I installed the NSLU2 it red
              lighted on the install. Just be patient and walk away for a while and
              do something else. When my first install red lighted, I had to drop
              back to the original Linksys firmware and then install debian again.

              I was using the sercomm firmware update tool (windows OS) at the time
              but it is real easy using upslug (linux) as well.
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug

              It was a lot easier then going the redboot method.
              http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot

              Its always a good thing to know how to use the redboot method...just
              in case murphy comes to visit

              Good luck and have fun.