vlc

  • pepesz76
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 24, 2006
      Hello,

      I tried to get VLC for my slug but it looks it is no more in the
      feeds. I have DebianSlug 3.10.

      Thanks in advance

      --
      Best regards,
      pepesz76 mailto:pepesz76@...
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 25, 2006
        Sorry, it looks that I forgot to ask the question :)
        Here it is: Did anyone try to compile vlc for slug? Is the slug
        powerful enough to stream video from file with vls?
        Thanks again,

        Lukasz

        > Hello,

        > I tried to get VLC for my slug but it looks it is no more in the
        > feeds. I have DebianSlug 3.10.

        > Thanks in advance

        > --
        > Best regards,
        > pepesz76 mailto:pepesz76@...

        Best regards,
        pepesz76 mailto:pepesz76@...
      • whaly
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 25, 2006
          On Mon, September 25, 2006 10:19, pepesz76 wrote:
          > Sorry, it looks that I forgot to ask the question :)
          > Here it is: Did anyone try to compile vlc for slug? Is the slug
          > powerful enough to stream video from file with vls? Thanks again,
          >

          > Lukasz

          it's in french, but you can take a look at http://slugplayer.free.fr

          good luck
          whaly
        • guy_nux
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 26, 2006

            > Here it is: Did anyone try to compile vlc for slug? Is the slug
            > powerful enough to stream video from file with vls?

            Compilation of vlc on DebianSlug 3.10 runs without any problem . Have
            a look at
            http://slugplayer.free.fr/wikini/wakka.php?wiki=InstallationVLCavecLive
            Streaming videos works perfectly with vlc on the slug (turbo).
            Tested sources are a DVD player or files recorded with a Wintv-pvr-usb2
            (analog tv) or with a CinergyT2 (dvb-t) or the live tv (from internet
            access provider). All is described on our wiki.
            Do'nt hesitate if any further question and sorry for my poor english !
            guynux
          • pepesz76
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 26, 2006
              Hello whaly,

              Thanks:)

              I compiled the vlc and it works like the charm. Some of the functions
              are not available (i.e. overlay STRING in video or logo in the
              stream), but the slug can easily serve multicast stream.
              I still have problem with h.264/ts stream with 2000kbps... It doesn't
              go smoothly. Will investigate.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 26, 2006
                Hello guy_nux,

                I compiled vlc according to
                http://slugplayer.free.fr/wikini/wakka.php?wiki=InstallationVLCavecLive.
                It is working :)
                I suggest to add the note to the wiki that after vlc compilation is
                finished, you can delete the /usr/lib/live, since the vlc modules are
                already created.

                Thanks

                PS. I have the problem with steam h264/ts @ 2000kbps. Did you ever
                tried that large bitrate?
                --
                Best regards,
                pepesz76 mailto:pepesz76@...
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
                  The last post is so old. Has anyone put VLC on a slug nowadays?

                  Thanks for your answer in advance! Mik
                • nllittle2003
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 4, 2008
                    Yes VLC will run on a slug.

                    The issue is of course getting all those nitpickin parameters right.
                    I took a look at how they used VLC in slugplayer (slugplayer.free.fr).
                    Sure its in french but thats where yahoo.babelfish comes in and of
                    course a french to english dictionary. The syntax throws me sometimes.

                    Slugplayer is a PVR using PHP and sqllite on a web server. It has a
                    lot of the functions you would use with Mythbox. VLC is used to do the
                    recording and streaming with out the back-end that Mythbox has (A Slug
                    killer).

                    I have been messing with it for the last 6 months getting the text all
                    converted to english, and changing things like tv channels, video
                    formats and date/time formats.

                    Now comes the little issue of the XMLTV feeds (there doen't seem to be
                    any free feeds any more). Then getting all that to work here in the US
                    (my XML foo is weak).

                    So, YES VLC works great on a SLUG

                    OS=NSLU2Debian

                    73,
                    Neil, WA4AZL
                    JARS Forever!!
                    www.jars.net

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 5, 2008
                      Thanks for your answer. I will check the french site also.

                      - Means your last sentence, that using VLC with Debian is also working
                      on a Slug?

                      Thanks for your help in advance, I am a real beginner.
                      Mik
                    • nllittle2003
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
                        Yes there is a regular ARM distribution for Debian

                        Look here
                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/HomePage
                        http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/install.html

                        Since they fixed the installer it runs pretty good. Takes a while
                        though. Expect to spend at least a couple of hours working on it.
                        Remember that you can only run Debian on a NSLU2 from a hard drive.
                        Its not like unslung. Its a full blown debian system.

                        I only had to start over once. First time I installed the NSLU2 it red
                        lighted on the install. Just be patient and walk away for a while and
                        do something else. When my first install red lighted, I had to drop
                        back to the original Linksys firmware and then install debian again.

                        I was using the sercomm firmware update tool (windows OS) at the time
                        but it is real easy using upslug (linux) as well.
                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug

                        It was a lot easier then going the redboot method.
                        http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/TelnetIntoRedBoot

                        Its always a good thing to know how to use the redboot method...just
                        in case murphy comes to visit

                        Good luck and have fun.