Help with SerComm Upgrade

  • Airw0lf
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 19, 2006

      I want to upgrade to Unslung 6.8 using the Sercomm utility. I have
      installed the utility but it cannot seem to find the SLUG (I click on
      browse targets, but the device list comes up empty.) Is this because I have
      not put it into upgrade mode as per:

      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/UseTheResetButtonToEnterUpgradeMode

      Or should it be possible to see the slug even if it isn't in upgrade mode?

      Is it also necessary to have a direct connection to the slug, or does it
      matter if I am connected to a router? Does the slug's IP address matter? It
      currently lives in the 10.1.1.x range...

      Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to understand what needs to happen
      before putting the device into upgrade mode. The information I have found
      at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/InstallUnslungFirmware is very
      sparse as far as the Sercomm utility goes...

      Thanks,
      Air.
    • h8dc
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 19, 2006
        --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com, Airw0lf <aerwulfe@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I want to upgrade to Unslung 6.8 using the Sercomm utility. I have
        > installed the utility but it cannot seem to find the SLUG (I click
        on
        > browse targets, but the device list comes up empty.) Is this
        because I have
        > not put it into upgrade mode as per:

        Yes

        > Is it also necessary to have a direct connection to the slug, or
        does it
        > matter if I am connected to a router?

        It works connected to a router.

        > Does the slug's IP address matter? It
        > currently lives in the 10.1.1.x range...

        Must be in same subnet as the rest of your network, I believe.
      • Airw0lf
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 20, 2006
          "h8dc" <h8dc@...> wrote in

          >> Does the slug's IP address matter? It
          >> currently lives in the 10.1.1.x range...
          >
          > Must be in same subnet as the rest of your network, I believe.

          Yup, the rest of my network lives in 10.1.1.x too.

          Thanks for the other responses - gives me confidence to go ahead and
          upgrade now.

          Once I've successfully upgraded, I will update the Wiki articles and spell
          all of the above information out, so that people have a better idea of what
          to expect.
        • oabroad
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 21, 2006
            I recently upgraded a NSLU2-clone to 6.8 using upslug2. I understand
            that upslug2 works basically the same way as the sercomm tool.

            When you hold in the reset switch and get the unit into upgrade mode
            (I assume that's what you meant) it moves it's IP to 192.168.0.1.

            I had a second network adapter fitted so I configured that to the
            192.168.0.*** subnet and used a crossover cable.

            I'm not certain but I got the impression from the wiki that the
            upgrade tools (sercomm/upslug/upslug2) ignore IP altogether and just
            go by MAC address.

            The switch built into a typical router should work OK. What you
            can't do is cross the router Eg PC on LAN port, slug on WAN port
            won't work.