Re: In pursuit of a SlimServer - where next?

  • beetroot_soup
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 19, 2006
      --- In nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:nslu2-general@yahoogroups.com> , "Mike \(mwester\)"
      <mwester@...> wrote:

      > Can you please be more specific as to what you've done? What sequence
      have
      > you followed -- i.e. have you unslung using the instructions in the
      README?
      > The README covers several scenarios; which steps did you do, and which
      did
      > you skip? What steps did you take that are documented elsewhere than
      in the
      > README?

      Thanks Mike. You'll see I'm confused by this documentation. I followed
      these instructions from the HowTo InstallUnslungFirmware....(though the
      second time I did it via Sercomm)

      Brand New NSLU2? Use The Linksys Interface
      If you wish to use Unslung to replace the factory firmware, then you can
      do so using the normal Linksys web interface. See the user manual that
      came with your NSLU2 for instructions on how to access this feature.

      The best way to flash using the web interface is to remove everything
      from the Disk1 and Disk2 ports, then reboot the NSLU2, then flash
      immediately after boot without attaching any disks or attempting to do
      anything else.

      In this method, there's no mention of a README. Following this I enabled
      telnet and, yes, the root password was uNSLUng. I see now that there
      are other instructions viz

      If you are looking for installation instructions, please stop now and go
      to the README file. Follow the README instructions WORD for WORD
      otherwise you'll have to start over from scratch. The information
      contained in this file will make more sense if you have already
      "unslung" your NSLU2.

      Not sure about this - which README? Is this the file mentioned here ->
      The README can be found on the Unslung Download Page
      <http://www.slug-firmware.net/> This links to
      http://www.slug-firmware.net/ <http://www.slug-firmware.net/> and there
      is no README mentioned on there. If I follow links to the Unslung
      binaries I find a Readme there but I certainly didn't do all that is
      contained in that - I just used the above method. I guess there is no
      running of an "unsling" script in this method - or at least none
      documented. I've now read the README and can see that I need to follow
      the unslinging process.

      > I'm also curious as to why are you creating a script to start the
      telnet
      > daemon? The root password for unslung is set by the "unsling" script
      you
      > executed when you unslung the device -- why is that in any way linked
      to the
      > creation of a script to start telnetd?

      I was following the instructions given on here ->
      http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/CantTelnetToMyNewlyUnslungNSLU2
      <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/CantTelnetToMyNewlyUnslungNSLU2>
      This contains the following...

      So you either need to change that root password (using the
      ChangePasswordsFromTheCommandLine
      <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ChangePasswordsFromTheCommandLine\
      > instructions because simply editing the /etc/passwd file is NOT
      enough to make it stick, see also this FAQ entry
      <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/CantTelnetToMyNewlyUnslungNSLU2> )
      AND follow the instructions in DiversionScripts
      <http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/DiversionScripts> to
      permanently enable telnet, OR install and configure the dropbear or
      OpenSSH package.

      So I was doing the bit about permanently enabling telnet because it's
      ANDED with the instructions about changing the password.

      Clearly I've picked up just parts of the documentation and hopefully I
      shouldn't need this last part if I perform the unslinging correctly.
      I'll be having a go at that later.

      Thanks again.

    • beetroot_soup
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 19, 2006
        UPDATE: device is now unslung from disk2. So onwards towards
        SlimServer...

        Documentation for this also baffles me (I'm easily baffled). I've
        installed Perl -seems OK. The next instruction is to download the
        Perl source code for SlimServer - OK done that. I guess there is a
        step missing now as one needs to get the source code onto the NSLU2.

        OK, so I now this needs FTP and I can probably get that running on
        the slug so I look at the docs for that. I perform the ipkg install
        inetutils but I can't find the ftpd to copy to /bin - I only have a
        tftpd. That doesn't seem to be the same thing.

        Stuck again (unless I run an FTP server on my PC I suppose but isn't
        that cheating?)

        Thanks for listening.
      • beetroot_soup
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 20, 2006
          So I cheated but I can't build SlimServer, trying in their forum for
          assistance on that.

          Another unlinging issue though. I unslung to disk 2 and all is OK with
          only that disk attached. With disk 1 attached I lose the root password
          again. Is that a way around this?

          Thanks