is the jury in? (nslu2 latest openslug 6.8? supporting NTFS well?)

  • jrb2971
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
      So just wondering if the jury is in consensus here...
      does the latest openslug 6.8 (?) support NTFS drives well?
      or is it locking up from time to time.

      I am about ready to give up on my nslu2 if it really will never support
      NTFS well.

      thanks for your help/advice.

      -Jeremy
    • Rod Whitby
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
        There is no such thing as OpenSlug 6.8
        Assuming you're referring to Unslung 6.8, there seems to be reports of NTFS instability in both the stock R63 firmware, and in Unslung 6.8 which uses the stock firmware NTFS kernel module unchanged.
        Your mileage may vary ...
        If you can reproduce NTFS instabiity on stock firmware, then you should report it to Linksys. Since it is a binary kernel module that we use unchanged, we cannot fix such problems.
        -- Rod

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15, 2006
          On Fri, 2006-09-15 at 14:12 +0000, jrb2971 wrote:

          > So just wondering if the jury is in consensus here...
          > does the latest openslug 6.8 (?) support NTFS drives well?

          What do yo mean?
          openslug 3.10
          unslung 6.8

          Unslung 6.8 support ntfs but the support isn't stable?

          > or is it locking up from time to time.
          >
          > I am about ready to give up on my nslu2 if it really will never
          > support NTFS well.

          Why do you want ntfs support?

          You will see the disk as network share. The native disk format
          is irrelevant in that case.

          --
          Marceln
        • bullfrog528
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 16, 2006
            > If you can reproduce NTFS instabiity on stock firmware, then you
            should report it to Linksys.

            > -- Rod

            Hi

            I can reproduce repeatable NTFS instability on unslung 6.8,I will try
            it on stock firmware later,if it is also repeatable ,how does one
            report it to Linksys?

            Bullfrog
          • zvsmedia
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 16, 2006
              > Unslung 6.8 support ntfs but the support isn't stable?

              It doesn't seem to be 100% stable for large file transfers, but I've
              only had it lock up a couple of times.

              > Why do you want ntfs support?

              I like it for large file transfers to my Win* machines. Granted, see
              above. :) But since I move the drive directly to the Win machine I can
              speed things up and leave the network unaffected, then then by
              switching one cable I can have that drive back up on the network.

              Example: if I want to *watch* a DVD image I can stream it over the
              network fine. However, if I need to copy it to my laptop to watch on
              the road it's better to copy it directly via USB.

              Jim
            • Marcel Nijenhof
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 17, 2006
                On Sat, 2006-09-16 at 21:18 +0000, zvsmedia wrote:

                > I like it for large file transfers to my Win* machines. Granted, see
                > above. :) But since I move the drive directly to the Win machine I can
                > speed things up and leave the network unaffected, then then by
                > switching one cable I can have that drive back up on the network.

                have you looked to:
                http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

                With explore2fs it is possible to exchange files between a ext3
                filesystem and windows.

                --
                Marceln
              • zvsmedia
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 19, 2006
                  > With explore2fs it is possible to exchange files between a ext3
                  > filesystem and windows.

                  This is a very good point, and it's a good utility that works fairly
                  well. For me though, NTFS works well enough on the slug that the
                  ability to plug into and Win machine without having to load anything
                  makes any hassles worthwhile.

                  Your milage may very!

                  Jim