DebianSlug: SquirrelMail/Privoxy veeery slooooow?

  • vputz@nyx.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2006
      I'm running DebianSlug on a "de-underclocked" NSLU2. Admittedly, I'm
      painfully slow: SquirrelMail and Privoxy.

      I'm running Postfix/Dovecot for mail processing, and it works well.
      Connecting with Mutt occasionally just doesn't work (gives me an error,
      but trying again immediately works fine, and fairly fast). But
      Squirrelmail (on Lighttpd) is just incredibly slow (can take over 10 sec
      to open a mail message), and I'm pretty sure it's running on FCGI. Am I
      doing something obviously wrong, or are there known "Oh yeah, you can't
      run squirrelmail without using the blurfl option or it'll be too slow"
      fixes?

      I'm also running Squid/Privoxy. I'm pretty sure that Privoxy is the time
      hog (according to top), but it does mean that web pages take a fair amount
      of time to load through, which somewhat defeats the purpose of a caching
      proxy server. Any suggestions on speeding it up? I'd rather not
      completely abandon privoxy, but if there are known issues with it and
      ARM/NSLU2/whatever I'd love to know).

      Having said that, it's just insanely cool that this $80
      trade-paperback-sized box is doing the work of a dual-pentium-500 4u
      rackmount box with an additional 4u rack full of old low-capacity hard
      drives. So I can't complain TOO much if it's a touch on the pokey side.
      But with the cake, I prefer the having AND the eating...
    • Ingo Flaschberger
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 2006
        Hello,

        > I'm running DebianSlug on a "de-underclocked" NSLU2. Admittedly, I'm
        > painfully slow: SquirrelMail and Privoxy.

        type "free" at a ssh/telnet console.
        It seems, that the box is heavily in swap.

        > Having said that, it's just insanely cool that this $80
        > trade-paperback-sized box is doing the work of a dual-pentium-500 4u
        > rackmount box with an additional 4u rack full of old low-capacity hard
        > drives. So I can't complain TOO much if it's a touch on the pokey side.
        > But with the cake, I prefer the having AND the eating...

        Shurely not.
        You can compare it with a pentium ~160 with 24mb ram, thats true.
        In this box not the cpu is the limitation but ram.

        bye,
        Ingo
      • U-YAKPRIME\vputz
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2006
          On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 05:39:30PM +0200, Ingo Flaschberger wrote:
          > type "free" at a ssh/telnet console.
          > It seems, that the box is heavily in swap.

          Yes; I've been playing with vmstat and it's swapping like MAD.

          Understandable, of course; I'm loading the poor thing quite a bit. I may have
          to get a second one and offload some onto it, since increasing ram is a bit
          dicey for me.

          > Shurely not.
          > You can compare it with a pentium ~160 with 24mb ram, thats true.
          > In this box not the cpu is the limitation but ram.

          So I'm noticing. Not sure what to do with it yet, though. Pity there's no
          cheap way to add those extra sticks of old memory to the thing... (heh)

        • Ingo Flaschberger
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 12, 2006
            >> type "free" at a ssh/telnet console.
            >> It seems, that the box is heavily in swap.
            >
            > Yes; I've been playing with vmstat and it's swapping like MAD.

            :)

            > Understandable, of course; I'm loading the poor thing quite a bit. I may have
            > to get a second one and offload some onto it, since increasing ram is a bit
            > dicey for me.

            me too

            >> Shurely not.
            >> You can compare it with a pentium ~160 with 24mb ram, thats true.
            >> In this box not the cpu is the limitation but ram.
            >
            > So I'm noticing. Not sure what to do with it yet, though. Pity there's no
            > cheap way to add those extra sticks of old memory to the thing... (heh)

            easier than nslu2 :P

            bye,
            Ingo